overall
RATINGS: 479   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08/5   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 192   ABV: 6.4%
This traditional English style was originally brewed with extra hops to help it survive the voyage to India. Our IPA is enlightened by spicy herbal hops with a hint of caramel malt sweetness.

heemer77 (5358) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - NOV 10, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 27, 2005 The body is a dark amber with a thin off white head. The aroma is rich and grainy with some grapefruit and bread crust. There is also a hint of toffee. The taste is strognly roasted walnuts and some toffee. There is also a light note of grapefruit peel. the body is a little thin for the abv. A nice everyday IPA.

humulus (339) - Salem, Missouri, USA - OCT 17, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 27, 2004 This is a delicious IPA with loud malt and pronounced hops. True to other Summit beers I have tried, the malty sweetness has a mellow intoxicating musk. This topped with just the right amount of hops creates a brew I find quite satisfying. With a deep chestnut colour, this is the darkest IPA I have encountered. That must be where they hide all that malty goodness.

Syd (921) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - OCT 17, 2003
Bottle pours a nice amber color with a small head that leaves some lace. The aroma is somewhat fruity and very hoppy with some malt. The flavor is nice and malty and with a good solid hop citrus finish. The palate is nice and medium rich and fizzy. Overall, not bad.

hotstuff (5158) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - OCT 13, 2003
I am not a fan of IPA style beers, but this was one that I could handle drinking for a change. It poured a small sized ivory, smooth and creamy head that contained fine-large sized bubbles that quickly dissipated. The body of this beer was cloudy and uncarbonated with a copper hue. The nose consisted of malt, hops, and fruits with a hoppy and lingering aftertaste flavor. It was tingly and smooth on the palate and was medium bodied. This beer left a good amount of lacing on the sides of my glass.

thedm (6180) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - SEP 24, 2003
This brew poured a large head of fine to medium sized mostly lasting off-white colored bubbles that left behind a fair lacing and a softly carbonated transparent light brown colored body. The aroma is mediumly hopped and the mouthfeel is initally smooth until the hops kick in. The flavor is mostly hops with a little bit of roast kicked in. It ia a rather mild IPA and is not as strongly hopped as some I have had.

Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - SEP 24, 2003
Good amber color,small head that faded slowly,The aroma was malt and hoppy with a slight citrus side,mostly grapefruit.The taste was mildly malty but mostly hoppy and grapefruity with an after taste of hops and grapefruit.This brew seemed a bit one sided but overall it wasn't to bad,and fairly drinkable.

mikeben (355) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - SEP 7, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 5, 2006 I have to say Pale ales to me are not my style Although I do like Bass. Way too bitter and I really cannot tell the difference between theese and India ones. Summit seemes to be a good company but like all my pale ale experences its flavor is ok but I get a horrid medicinal aftertaste and a headache none for me thanks.

jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - AUG 20, 2003
Ok IPA. Hazt orange color with a quickly diminshing fine head. Medium hoppy aromas, grapefruit. Hints of malt. Nice hop flavors, grapefruit and bitter. Malty caramel flavors develop. A slight bitter aftertaste. Light-Medium body, a tad watery.

NeonLX (261) - Wisconsin, USA - AUG 19, 2003
This reminds me a lot of Schell's Pale Ale--reasonably strong & malty body with a good dose of hoppiness. I found it interesting that the hopping isn't "floral" or "citrus-y" like many IPAs, but it's very distinct & noticeable nonetheless. Appearance is what you'd expect; kind of a medium amber with a smallish head. Very enjoyable beer.

maxwellplum (54) - USA - AUG 17, 2003
I like this one. Just hoppy enough for me, it goes down good. A thin short lived head,but a very good beer. I have already gone back for more.