overall
RATINGS: 388   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
This unique seasonal beer offers the warmth of an old English pub to help ward off the chill of a winter’s night. It has its origins in British neighborhood pubs where villagers would gather to shake off the damp cold of the bitter English winter. They’d share a pint or two of winter warmer ale by the fire, catch up on local gossip, and stay inside, where it was warm. We’ve brewed our version in the tradition of those winter ales, with a robust, full-bodied flavor and a tangy hint of spices.

DrnkMcDermott (3099) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - JAN 8, 2007
Bottled. Opens and pours with a nice warm malty smell. Deep brown body, thin tan head. For its color, a closer sniff brings up a suprising whiff of porter type cooffee roast malts. And yup, a deep coffee roast in the tast. Drinks a heck of a lot like a porter. Then some honey seems to pop in, and then a bit of light spicing, more in the sage or allspice range (but then my miserable score on the Floosmoor 12 Days shows I can’t be judging spices). Off-style carbonation is a detraction, but otherwise, it’s a very good commercial beer.

lweiberg (139) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JAN 3, 2007
I don’t know if it’s just my preference in general, but I can’t stand the taste of coffee so I could barely tolerate this beer, although there was some charm to it because it tasted different than what I’m used to but I think if I try any more English Strong Ales I’ll go with a higher scored brand to see if I just dislike the style in general.

MattShizzle (613) - Bernville, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 31, 2006
Bottle. Very dark. Good - pretty sweet with plenty of crystal malt flavor. Somewhat rich flavor.

Juelze (1146) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 31, 2006
Pours a dark brown color with thick, frothy, tan head. Aroma is very mild with sweet malt, coffee and light chocolate. Taste is much the same but everything is way too muted and boring.

TheBeerOrg (2145) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - DEC 25, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 10, 2007 Pours dark reddish amber with a fully receding beige head. Aroma of dark crystal malt, rye bread, toffee, and cookie. Taste is sweet crystal malt, chocolate, and brown malt. Mouthfeel is medium/full bodied with soft carbonation. Soft and sweet with nice maltiness.

Ratman197 (14830) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - DEC 24, 2006
Bottle poured a clear dark brown with a small diminishing tan head. Aromas of coffee, bakers chocolate, roasted malt and nuts. Palate was medium bodied. Flavors of coffee, roasted malt, nuts and a hint of cocoa with a lingering bitter finish.

BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 14, 2006
This beer poured a dark reddish-brown. There was a light tan head which was retained well. This beer smelled faintly of dark malt and coffee. When I took a sip, I got faint coffee notes with an aftertaste of chocolate. It is a bit subtle, but quite pleasant. Mouthfeel of this beer is (like the taste) understated. It isn’t watery; its substantial without being overly sticky. Drinkability is OK; I’d have another two of these.

Stine (1780) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - DEC 13, 2006
On tap at the Happy Gnome. Deep chocolate brown in color with a lightly tan head of foam. Nose is mildly fruity and semi-sweet chocolate. More chocolate and some cinnamon in the flavor, with tart red fruits. Creamy mouthfeel with a prickly touch and slight roasty finish. All in all though it’s unexciting stuff, a grocery store brand english strong ale.

cheap (5857) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 2, 2006
Oh-oh, smells like an imperial or foreign stout with a caramel background, and I don’t like imperial or foreign stouts. 12 oz brown bottle with a twist off cap. I am a bit surprised that it pours very dark transparent in my steeler stein. A malty roasty initial flavor, perhaps even some hops in there. Very little carbonation. Yes, it is robust as the description says but there is no detail of this on the label, it is pretty much plain jane just mentioning winter ale. I think this is the first English Strong ale I’ve tasted. It is smooth but has a lingering undesirable interesting flavor on the finish, a little bitter. Try this if you like stouts.

MoreHead (355) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - NOV 30, 2006
had at old chicago during their holiday tour. enjoyed the balance, wasn’t expecting the hops. nicely done.