overall
RATINGS: 378   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
This unique seasonal beer offers the warmth of an old English pub to help ward off the chill of a winter’s night. It has its origins in British neighborhood pubs where villagers would gather to shake off the damp cold of the bitter English winter. They’d share a pint or two of winter warmer ale by the fire, catch up on local gossip, and stay inside, where it was warm. We’ve brewed our version in the tradition of those winter ales, with a robust, full-bodied flavor and a tangy hint of spices.

bigdave99 (2) - USA - FEB 12, 2002 does not count
hmm. difficult to rate a beer. everyone seems to rate the belgian strongs as the highest. does that mean that belgian stong ales are the best beer, or the best kind of beer? then imperial stouts? summit winter, when fresh, is a wonderful winter ale. incredibly good fresh off a good tap, this has big head, a lovely warm brown taste, balanced hop and malty flavor, and not too strong of an abv. i had this one night in duluth at a theatre bar on tap, obviously fresh, and i'd take that over any bitter i've had in london. is it the best beer? well, in many ways... yes. for everyday drinking, though, give me summit extra pale ale, best fresh out of a keg with a good clean line.

npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - JAN 24, 2002
Given Summit's other brews, I expected this to be a pleasure. After getting a whiff of it, I knew I was going to be wrong. It smells almost like a cheap lager. Has an odd metallic taste, and touches of candy cane flavor. Some boring hop bittering round out this unimpressive offering.

baseballguy (246) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 25, 2001
Satisfying without being quite distinctive: not worth a special search, but worth drinking if it is in front of you. (Downgraded after I finished the sixpack I bought: it just wasn't a beer I looked forward to every day.)

gtreptow99 (15) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - DEC 16, 2001
Had this one over thanksgiving as well and was surprised by it's really mild taste and smoothness. Definitly better than other Summit products.

21iceman40 (1735) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 10, 2001
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2003 Which ever one of us brought this to the last beer room formal drinking weekend should be proud, this was a winner.

heykevin (1287) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - DEC 2, 2001
Had this on tap over thanksgiving, this beer had virtually no head and was dominated by an off malty sweetness. I really like to support Summit, but this is one I skip.

FUNK (120) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 26, 2001
a pretty good beer that has an odd after taste that sneaks up on you........

TAR (2802) - Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina, USA - OCT 12, 2001
Not mush body or kick for a winter beer. PLeasant spices are notable.......