overall
RATINGS: 378   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
This unique seasonal beer offers the warmth of an old English pub to help ward off the chill of a winter’s night. It has its origins in British neighborhood pubs where villagers would gather to shake off the damp cold of the bitter English winter. They’d share a pint or two of winter warmer ale by the fire, catch up on local gossip, and stay inside, where it was warm. We’ve brewed our version in the tradition of those winter ales, with a robust, full-bodied flavor and a tangy hint of spices.

FreshHawk (596) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - JAN 27, 2011
Bottle. A - Dark garnet brown color with a decent sized, foamy, light, frothy, off white head. Nice retention leaving a nice creamy lace. S - Roasted barley and caramel are quite strong. Sweet but a good amount of spice. A touch of earthy and floral hops. T - Roasted barley, caramel and some baker’s chocolate. Quite porter like. Mid sip some earthy hops come out and maybe a touch of floral hops. A touch of nuttiness. Spice shows up later in the sip with an earthy and slightly wintery spice flavor. Similar to a hoppy porter. M - Fuller side of thin body with average carbonation. Smooth, but a little thinner than I would like. D - Goes down easy enough, but it isn’t overly interesting. Doesn’t quite do the warming job that I would really like in a winter warmer, but not a bad beer to sip on a couple on a cold night. Notes: Reminds me of a slightly hoppy and spiced porter. Mayber a slight English taste (hops or yeast possibly). Not bad, but nothing really engaging or intriguing.

Obfuscate (593) - Minneapolis, - NOV 21, 2014
Living in Minnesota my whole life I have had many of these, however, it’s been years since I had my last one and couldn’t remember the taste. Great balance and drinkability. Light spice, nice ale, Summit is a fine brewery.

GMUcrew7 (577) - Mason, Ohio, USA - NOV 28, 2008
Pours dark brown color with a light tan head. Very nice sweet toffee malt aroma with some dark fruits. Great roasted complex malt flavors, chocolate, caramel and toffee with a hint of dark fruit. Very easy to drink, easily the best of the winter mix 12-pack.

incutrav (577) - Woodbury, Minnesota, USA - NOV 16, 2006
Very good craft form ol Summit! Quite sweet and coffee like taste, and I agree that it doesnt have the hop kick like some, but i have been drinking a lot of Surlys latley, and those are hop crazy! I would compare this the the Surly Bender though, quite similar and tasty!

mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - DEC 24, 2004
12oz bottle. BBD Mar 04. Well, if I’d have noticed the neck imprinted "enjoy by" date I wouldn’t have bought it, but as it was, this was one of the more interesting bottles available in Brookings, SD where I marooned for 5 days working. Mahogony with quickly dying head. Not much aroma, maybe some slight roasty smell. Decent body, slightly sweet with balancing dark malts and hops. Pretty mild overall in flavor, but a good body and solid malt make it enjoyable. But why does it seem like so many of the "winter" beers taste like this?? Redhook, Odell’s, Breckenridge, Summit, they are all about the same to me.

Schultsc (572) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 18, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 22, 2007 A fairly good spiced ale. Falls short of amazing when compared to Anchor’s efforts. Not a bad beer--good on tap when in town.

Fredis23 (568) - Hickory Hills, Illinois, USA - APR 7, 2013
Dark Brown, Good Head, Lots of Lacing. Roasted and Bitter Taste although it does not last for long. A little thinner than expected. Decent.

chimpscampee (566) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 15, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 16, 2007 I don’t understand the coffee and chocalate references. I get none of that. This a better than average version of minty winter spice style that I do not care for much. Gets tiring quickly.

BustedFlat (554) - Edina, Minnesota, USA - JAN 12, 2008
Poured deep amber with a tan head. Aroma -- roast malt, coffee and dark chocolate. Taste was mainly roast malt and iced mocha. Sweet without much bitterness and a creamy mouthfeel. Not as fancy as some winter brews, but very well done. I will definitely try this one again.

BeerKurve (520) - - NOV 21, 2013
Dark Clear Brown with a semi fluffy head, sparse lacing and very light carbonation. The nose is mainly spices, caramel, toffee, a touch of vanilla and some mild hops. Taste is Rich Chocolate, Toffee, Coffee flavors with some barley and yeast notes. Fairly lightweighted body and mild carbonation so it’s very easy to drink. Good Beer!