Brewed by Brauerei Gotha (Oettinger)
Style: Pale Lager
Gotha, Germany

RATINGS: 9   MEAN: 2.09/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.33/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Brewed by Oettinger Brauerei GmbH for Alcobond Consortium Ltd.

• Locate Sellers

Most RecentTicked By

DruncanVeasey (8683) - Nr NUNEATON, Warwickshire, ENGLAND - MAR 26, 2017
Can #2 of 4, £2.50 for the set from local offie. Don’t Alcobond Consortium Ltd sound like a lovely bunch? Don’t think they’ll be soft-opening a distressed urban hipster tap or doing a takeover in a town near you anytime soon. Having spent time in Gotha, it doesn’t surprise me they have chosen there to headquarter. Well, well, well....9,000 beers in my first (unexpected) official rate from my Nana’s home town- instant bonus point...instantly deducted for the shameless, park bench-angling packaging. Tears will be spilled when aficionados of Kestel Super Strength realise it’s 5%. Trying to imagine if dear old Nana G would have enjoyed or even humoured this and I have to conclude...she would not. She knew a good spiky pilsener or Alsace dumpy when she met one. The most damning thing I can say is that it doesn’t taste German, doesn’t taste Reinheitsgebot. Multigrain notes weirdly reminiscent of Harviestoun with licks of elastic, stale lemon cake, canned peas. Some butterscotch. Definite impressions of human vomit, as described below, more in that weirdly drying, chalky mouthfeel than the actual flavour. But vomit is vomit and why would you put it in beer, and then sell it? And then there’s that cheap glue-like note associated with glycerine or similar tropical preservatives. Gotha isn’t even in the tropics. Pours wet and gold with a strong white foam and sniffs of envelopes, rubber and grass. I haven’t licked any patio doors recently, but that also, as previously referenced by Dan. Specifically the sealant fixing the glass in place, sun-beaten and besmeared with swatted fly. On balance, finishable but I won’t be rushing back for a second 4 pack.

SarkyNorthener (5142) - West Bromwich (Yorkshire Expat), West Midlands, ENGLAND - SEP 14, 2014
Can from local off licence. Golden beer with small. Aroma of cereal grain and sweet malts. Taste is sweet malts, mild hop and some floral notes. Drinkable.

Garrold (6138) - Sheffield, South Yorkshire, ENGLAND - JAN 19, 2014
I was sort of enjoying this, until I read the first review which mentions vomit and sick. All of a sudden I’ve gone off it a bit. Cheap, though..

johndoughty (5631) - cheslyn hay, West Midlands, ENGLAND - DEC 27, 2013
Can. Bought from a supermarket in Dudley. Clear yellow appearance.Sweet and strong as you would expect. Still an above average Euro Fizz but don’t make a special journey to buy one.

Woohoo (1) - - DEC 16, 2013 does not count
What a great beer!! Cheap, hoppy and full of taste. Like majority of beers from Germany it is a pasteurised beer with a very clean and crisp taste. I wish it was available in a lot more outlets but very limited at present to midlands and the south.

BlackHaddock (8200) - Shropshire, ENGLAND - JUL 18, 2013
500ml can: brewed at their Gotha site for ’Alcobond Consortium Ltd’ and sold in dodgy off-licenses in the UK in packs of four (cheaply). Looks like a regular Pilsner/Lager: bright, clear and golden with a fading white head. Metallic aroma, but not unpleasant (if that’s possible); some mild floral hop notes too. The taste was slightly maltier than I expected from the smell and the listed ingredient of ’hop extract’ on the can. Refreshing in the warm Shropshire sun, but not the sort of beer I would normally offer my guests unless I wanted to get rid of them: might get some for when my son visits next week! In short, a cheap booze shop lager and it shows in the taste.

1.3
tampierre (1435) - Pilsen, CZECH REPUBLIC - JUN 26, 2013
Canned ; Devon ; UK ; Malt and brewing cereal aroma ; Clear yellow color with smaller head ; Sweeter taste with light bitter finish ; Watery ; Not good at all.

1.3
The_Bish (1118) - West Midlands, ENGLAND - MAY 26, 2013
Can was from Tom, not Tom and Dom. He always gets the credit. I blame the ink that gives the attitude. Not that I’m bitter, I love the guy. There’s bread here too. Anyone notice that?

DanielBrown (4601) - Birmingham (via Leicester), West Midlands, ENGLAND - MAY 23, 2013
Can from Bish and Dom. Tom has described it beautifully below. Some sick, some sheet ice, some patio door, some cake decoration. Bad (even by my appallingly low standards).

tommann (4168) - Dudley, West Midlands, ENGLAND - MAR 24, 2013
500ml can. Pours gold with a thin, bubbly head. Aroma is lemon, corn and a little vomit. Taste is sweet, some icing sugar. Hints of cooked veg. A bit stale, stale bread. Touches of sick.