overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 453   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 37   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Brewed with lots of Golden Promise and Pale Ale malts with a touch of Oats and light hazy gold in color. Ultra crisp bitterness from Warrior hops, with Glacier hops adding the peach,orange and apricot aroma. We dry-hopped this one because...we like hops.

eruizgarcia's rating

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
eruizgarcia (361) - - JUN 1, 2012
UPDATED: FEB 2, 2014 Dry and bitter, a bit astringent and watery, not as carbonated as I?d like. Mild sweetness. A bit disappointing for a Surly.

Bill Becker (1905) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - NOV 30, 2017
From Jul 2008

I got this can in a trade with Lofgrep. Thanks Peter!

Another adventure into Surly-land.

It pours from the 16oz can(it says 4%abv) into my New Belgium Imperial Pint glass a hazy orange gold. There's about a 1" head of foam(which doesn't last very long) and there's some good lacing.

The smell is very fruity. I get a lot of citrus but there's also a sweet fruity nose there as well. It's nice.

The taste hits me with some caramel malt sweetness balanced by a good, but not over the top, hoppiness....definitely mostly pine but also some citrus with the grapefruit.

The sweet fruit aspect that I mentioned in the nose is more subdued in the taste, darn it, but for a low abv brew, it *is* power packed with flavour and is *very* easy drinking. If I had something like this on tap at a local bar, I could easily session on it all night! No kidding.

It's close enough to medium bodied that I'd call it medium bodied, carbonation is on the very light side of medium, and it finishes piney and very dry. Sometimes dry doesn't work for me but in this case, it's right up my alley. ;^)

Bottom line: I really like this "English Bitter" though purists would probably say it's too bitter. I agree, basically, but it in no way impedes me from enjoying this brew. This is yet another winner from Surly!

muzzlehatch (4969) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 30, 2016
Un-Muzzling Olde Muzzlehatch Ratings, #57. Draught pint (in a Surly glass) at Café 28 (RIP) in Minneapolis, August 2008. Translucent, slightly cloudy amber-brown with a lasting bit of off-white fine-bubbled foam...fruity, resinous, somewhat earthy aroma, touches of dried hops...dry and earthy in the body, lightly peppery, some sweeter, juicier touches show up with time though it remains just a touch too dry for me...notes say "toasted bread but no marmalade" what the hell? anyway, strong tingly carbonation is a bit strong also...this was served too cold and improved quite a bit over a long tasting with some warmth; I look forward to trying it again now that I can get the commoner Surlys pretty easily.

justsayswell (285) - Kansas City, Kansas, USA - JAN 7, 2016
Pours hazy yellow with a huge rocky white head. Nose is yeasty and spicy. Taste is toasty malt, spicy and floral hops, black pepper. Finishes dry and bitter. Definitely an a-typical bitter.

BeerGeek50 (4) - - DEC 26, 2015 does not count
Pale yellow but a bit hazy pour. Thin white head. Citrus, pineapple, almost candied citrus on the nose. Flavor is orangey/grapefruit. A bit odd. Not what I was expecting.

vipinvelp (4554) - Velp, NETHERLANDS - DEC 20, 2015
Light opaque dark yellow, fluffy white foam head. Hoppy aroma and strong bitter taste. Some citrus ntes. Like this. (Velp, 201512)

euniceradio (562) - Worthington, Minnesota, USA - DEC 12, 2015
16oz can to tulip. Pours clear straw/gold, white sticky head. Aroma of pine, grapefruit and peppercorn. Taste is the same. As advertised...less malt backbone, but great beer.

Huhzubendah (3761) - Washington DC, USA - NOV 27, 2015
Can. Hazy, light orange body with an inch plus of white head. Aromas of citrus, earthy hops, pine, alcohol. Bitter indeed. Resinous, earthy hops. Light, even thin, bodied with aggressive bitterness, peaking mid to late palate. Not the easy drinking, session beer renowned in England.

shadey (2166) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 24, 2015
16oz can. Pale yellow pour with a big soapy head of huge bubbles. The head diminishes like the frothy on a milkshake; around the edges first and leaves a lumpy residue. Bitter hop aroma that is very attractive. Flavors are bright, clean, refreshing bitterness. Delicious. I love the low alcohol content. Easy to drink. Well deserved reputation.

DrunkSanta410 (979) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - OCT 18, 2015
Can at home, pours a hazy yellow with thick head and average retention. Leaves a nice lacing in the glass. Aroma is citrusy hops, lightly fruity. Taste is orange, light tropical fruit, clean, but extremely bitter. Pretty enjoyable. Lots of flavor from a low ABV beer.

Cousin_Larry (895) - - OCT 3, 2015
Yet another disappointment from Surly. The flavor actually isn’t awful - kind of a sour pineapple - but aftertaste is wretchedly bitter.