overall
RATINGS: 1049   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.2/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
This massive Russian Imperial Stout brings waves of flavors; chocolate, cherries, raisins, coffee, and toffee. We add a touch of hops to make this delicious brew even tastier. 85 IBUs. Labels:

07 = Grim Reaper
08 = Devil
09 = Mummy
10 = Vampire
11 = Zombie
12 = Werewolf
13 = Hell Demon
14 = Harpy (bottled reviews have separate entry in database)
15 = Bat
16 = Cerberus

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
PilsnerPeter (3045) - Flushing, New York, USA - JUN 23, 2009
Tap at ACBF 2009: Opaque motor oil pour with a thick brown head that fades to a film. Gigantic chaotic aroma dominated by molasses with notes of coffee, burnt raisin/sugar, and charred black malt. Cloying sticky body- no finesse nor subtlety here. Flavor is dominated by molasses, burnt plummy sugars and nondescript char. A disgusting under attenuated mess lacking finesse. Why all the hype?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
zapprentice (316) - East Setauket, New York, USA - JUN 21, 2009
Outstanding. Aroma of sweet malt, chocolate side notes. Sweetness smooth in the taste with chocolate (dark and milk) and caramel notes just coming brilliant through. Well balanced and awesome.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
LilBeerDoctor (3821) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 21, 2009
UPDATED: NOV 28, 2009 1200th rating! Draft at ACBF09 (08 version). Pours black with only a small ring of head. Aroma of sweet malt and some bitter hops as well. Rather indistinct aroma actually. Flavor is very sweet and malty, but not the roasted malt that Im used to in imperial stouts. It was a very odd experience, and I thought this seemed more like an ASA to me. Overall it was alright, but certainly on the sweet side. I would like to try this again though. 7/4/7/4/15 (3.7/5)

Update 11/28/09: 2009 bottle. Pours black with a thick tan head. Aroma of piney hops, chocolate, roasted malt. Flavor is initially quite sweet with some bitter hops (pine, even some citrus) in the finish. Texture is a bit syrupy. Im not changing my #s just adding new commentary.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerbill (3605) - Laurel, New York, USA - JUN 15, 2009
750 ml bottle. Pours a dense deep black with a moderate-large mocha brown head that lasted beyond mid-glass and left a layer of foam with each sip. Very pleasant aroma of chocolate and caramel. The flavor is superb, and I was frankly surprised at how fruity this beer is. Cherry is the predominant fruit flavor, along with some raisins. Chocolate, molasses and caramel are also present. Smooth, dense and silky on the palate, which is truncated by some moderate alcohol heat, which extends beyond the swallow. I prefer sweeter beers, so this one is right up my alley. Very nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ThankYouDonnie (1) - Warrenville, Illinois, USA - JUN 14, 2009 does not count
Thanks for the 2 Brothers Brewery for bringing this one in for their Hop Juice release party. It was my favorite "guest" beer of the day, and a delicious stout. If it were slightly less sweet, Id say its perfect.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheEpeeist (3709) - Media, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 14, 2009
22 oz bottle, graciously shared by MrBendo, thanks Todd. Dark brown with a coating tan head. Nose is caramel, molasses, grass and some citrus peel. Medium body with mild carb. Taste is molasses, chocolate chips, dark fruit and citrus with a muted hop bite. Very tasty with lots of sweet notes. Could use a touch more dark roast to balance.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MrBendo (1064) - Swedesboro, New Jersey, USA - JUN 13, 2009
Thanks to tytoanderso for the bottle, about 8 months old. 2008 bottling I believe, with Satan drinking from a skull pictured on the label.
Dark brown pour with a medium foamy head. Aroma of chocolate, some roasted malt and coffee. The hops seem be be totally gone in this. Im a little surprised at just how absent they were, but not too disappointed because I generally dont like hoppy stouts. A lot of dark fruit (prunes, dates) in the taste, and I could swear I tasted some wood. Thick texture, rich and complex, but not as much as I would have thought. Definitely not the heaviest stout out there, but its probably changed a lot in the 8 months sitting in my cellar. Mellowed, I would think. Good (if not earthshaking) stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
jcr (2627) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - JUN 10, 2009
750 ml. 2008 vintage. Shared with SpudClampDawg and Pete. Inviting deep brown to black body below a dark brown head that slowly diminishes. Aroma is sweet with notes of chocolate, molasses, roasted grain. Just a hint of resin. The flavor is heavily sweet and lightly bitter. The finish is moderately to heavily sweet and lightly bitter with some light acidity. Full body with a creamy, milkshake like, texture. Lively carbonation. Lacks complexity. The sweetness overwhelms everything else to the point of becoming cloying erasing any chance of depth or complexity. Overall, a bit of a mess. Very disappointing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
SpudClampDawg (1029) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - JUN 9, 2009
22oz 2008 bottle split with jcr and UnclePete: We saved this bottle to drink for both my dad and myselfs 1000 rating. I dont want to be the guy that rags on a beer just because it is rare and rates high, but this was absolutely lackluster to me. It was a complete sugary trainwreck that was nearly undrinkable. Ive had lots of high ABV imperials before that simply blow this away. Finesse was not in the brewers mind when this was made. None of the three of us could finish our 7oz portions. We saved our 1000th rating for a different beer. Bummer.

Oil can black pour with a great, thick mocha head. The nose is appealing, as the sugary sweet chocolate and raisin notes literally jump from the tulip. The first sip goes down harsh - an unexpected gulp of white sugar sticking to all sides of the mouth. The coffee and chocolate notes that are present are nice, but the cloying, viscous liquid is way too sweet to appreciate them. The bitterness does attempt to balance things out, but fails miserably under the weight of the sugar. Undrinkable.

Interesting side note - after we all drank as much of our portions as we could, we decided this beer would be the perfect candidate for a "beer float." I grabbed the vanilla ice cream and we each added a small dollop to our remaining portions. What I thought would be a super-sweet treat ended up completely different. I dont know if some strange chemical reaction happened, but the sugars in the beer and the sugars in the ice cream must have neutralized each other as all we could taste was bitterness. Very strange.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Narnad (1521) - Crystal Lake, Illinois, USA - JUN 7, 2009
A guest beer at For the Love of the Hops! 2009 festival at Two Brothers Brewery in Warrenville, IL. Pours a dark black with a very massive, dense, deep tan head. Carbonation is very fine and perfect for the style. Aroma is a mix of chocolate, light coffee, a solid pine resin note and then the sweetness, the most dominate part of the aroma, comes through as raisin and prune juice. Flavors mix superbly with the chocolate and prune flavor really complimenting the later resin notes that come through. Very smooth and creamy feeling. Honestly was the BEST beer at Two Brothers festivities and is probably one of my top three favorite beers now of all time. Overall would highly recommend getting a bottle to try out!