overall
RATINGS: 1052   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.2/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
This massive Russian Imperial Stout brings waves of flavors; chocolate, cherries, raisins, coffee, and toffee. We add a touch of hops to make this delicious brew even tastier. 85 IBUs. Labels:

07 = Grim Reaper
08 = Devil
09 = Mummy
10 = Vampire
11 = Zombie
12 = Werewolf
13 = Hell Demon
14 = Harpy (bottled reviews have separate entry in database)
15 = Bat
16 = Cerberus

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
jcr (2647) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - JUN 10, 2009
750 ml. 2008 vintage. Shared with SpudClampDawg and Pete. Inviting deep brown to black body below a dark brown head that slowly diminishes. Aroma is sweet with notes of chocolate, molasses, roasted grain. Just a hint of resin. The flavor is heavily sweet and lightly bitter. The finish is moderately to heavily sweet and lightly bitter with some light acidity. Full body with a creamy, milkshake like, texture. Lively carbonation. Lacks complexity. The sweetness overwhelms everything else to the point of becoming cloying erasing any chance of depth or complexity. Overall, a bit of a mess. Very disappointing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
SpudClampDawg (1029) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - JUN 9, 2009
22oz 2008 bottle split with jcr and UnclePete: We saved this bottle to drink for both my dad and myselfs 1000 rating. I dont want to be the guy that rags on a beer just because it is rare and rates high, but this was absolutely lackluster to me. It was a complete sugary trainwreck that was nearly undrinkable. Ive had lots of high ABV imperials before that simply blow this away. Finesse was not in the brewers mind when this was made. None of the three of us could finish our 7oz portions. We saved our 1000th rating for a different beer. Bummer.

Oil can black pour with a great, thick mocha head. The nose is appealing, as the sugary sweet chocolate and raisin notes literally jump from the tulip. The first sip goes down harsh - an unexpected gulp of white sugar sticking to all sides of the mouth. The coffee and chocolate notes that are present are nice, but the cloying, viscous liquid is way too sweet to appreciate them. The bitterness does attempt to balance things out, but fails miserably under the weight of the sugar. Undrinkable.

Interesting side note - after we all drank as much of our portions as we could, we decided this beer would be the perfect candidate for a "beer float." I grabbed the vanilla ice cream and we each added a small dollop to our remaining portions. What I thought would be a super-sweet treat ended up completely different. I dont know if some strange chemical reaction happened, but the sugars in the beer and the sugars in the ice cream must have neutralized each other as all we could taste was bitterness. Very strange.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Narnad (1521) - Crystal Lake, Illinois, USA - JUN 7, 2009
A guest beer at For the Love of the Hops! 2009 festival at Two Brothers Brewery in Warrenville, IL. Pours a dark black with a very massive, dense, deep tan head. Carbonation is very fine and perfect for the style. Aroma is a mix of chocolate, light coffee, a solid pine resin note and then the sweetness, the most dominate part of the aroma, comes through as raisin and prune juice. Flavors mix superbly with the chocolate and prune flavor really complimenting the later resin notes that come through. Very smooth and creamy feeling. Honestly was the BEST beer at Two Brothers festivities and is probably one of my top three favorite beers now of all time. Overall would highly recommend getting a bottle to try out!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Zinister (1423) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUN 2, 2009
Thanks to theisti for this great beer. Thick black pour with a tan bubbly head. Wonderful aroams of raisins, chocolates, cherries, toffee and hops. Flavor is just fantastic...basically the same as the nose, but with some mocha as well. Full bodied. Just a great body that I enjoy more than Dark Lord.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MartinT (9617) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 1, 2009
UPDATED: APR 3, 2011 My Bottom Line:
This gargantuan Imperial Stout achieves stupendous flavor nuances with its coating molasses and dark chocolate malt character blending into piney and citrusy hop elevations, all in the most luxurious body where alcohol barely tickles the palate. This is gum-licking goodness.

Further Personal Perceptions:
-A veil of foam tops the pitch blackness.
-Its decadent body is never obese.
-Peppery spiciness seems to stem from the gorgeous malt-hop union.
-It had been a while since I hadnt gotten so excited by an Imperial Stout!
-This is more drinkable and better put together than Dark Lord, and almost as complex as Expedition Stout. Very impressive indeed.

Bottles.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
livelaughlovep (108) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - MAY 23, 2009
Really different - Dark fruit reminscent of brandied, candied fruit, a surprisingly potent hop profile, smooth with chocolate, toffee, roasty, smooth.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
waolsen (1375) - Littleton, Colorado, USA - MAY 17, 2009
bottle. thanks bri. I was very excited to try this beer and was really disappointed. mild aroma. harsh soy, tart and sweet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
DrHomolka (761) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 13, 2009
2008 750ml. Pours a strange brownish/red color ala Dark Lord. Crimson hues around the edges, looks thick. Aroma shows chocolate, fudge, vanilla, brownie/cake and pretty intense hops. Reminds me of the Yetis, or my memory of them at least. Fairly complex and unique aroma that lets you know this isnt your run of the mill Imperial Stout. Flavor is sweet, thick, chocolate, just on the edge of cloying. Very rich with a sticky, very full bodied and thick mouthfeel. This might be a tad too sweet. I like the viscosity but the apparent sweetness is a tad too high. Good but not world class.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beernbourbon (1581) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - MAY 10, 2009
UPDATED: NOV 1, 2009 Pour is, of course, black with minimal tan head. Aroma is rich and malty with prominent hop aroma. Also coffee, brown sugar and chocolate. Flavor is not overpowering: Roasted malt, coffee, and a much larger than expected hop finish. Lingering sweetness. Different than I was expecting but tasty nonetheless. 11/1/09 Sipping on an 09 courtesy of MaSciGuy. Black, chocolaty, and really hoppy. This is really easy to drink. Its huge, viscous, and tenacious; but strangely I wish it were thicker and even more full-bodied.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
petematte46 (330) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAY 6, 2009
Pours a dark thick black with a nice brown head. Aroma is coffee, licorice, hops, burnt cocoa, molasses. Flavor is huge thick black chocoloate and coffee, significant hoppiness balanced out with a rich yet delicate and not cloying sweetness. I was very surprised that this lived up to the hype, great stout!