overall
RATINGS: 1387   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.96/5   IBU: 99   EST. CALORIES: 198   ABV: 6.6%
Like Hops? You’ll like this fire-hued beer. This is the beer I have always dreamed of making. This is the beer that would come to mind while spending the last two years tearing down walls, hanging sheetrock, moving kegs, power washing the ceilings, arguing with various agencies, and cutting the water main. Without Golden Promise malt, made by family-owned Simpsons Malt, Furious would just be pissed offed. From Scotland, this malt is still produced in the tradition of turning over the barley by hand, resulting in a malt that is unsurpassed in its quality. Golden Promise is also used extensively by premium whisky distilleries such as The Macallan. This malt provides the backbone for the intense hop character. Four American hop varieties are used at a rate of over three pounds per barrel. The result is a rich malt sweetness infused with bright hop flavor and aroma from beginning to end. Oh yeah, it’s about 6% alcohol and around 100 IBUs.

MaltOMeal (1094) - Land of Sugar, Texas, USA - APR 21, 2008
16 oz can thanks to maximum12 (from RB site). This pours a dark copper color with thin tan head. Strong smell of pine and grass. Taste was strong hops with a peachy taste. Mouthfeel was thick and very bitter. Definitely out of balance, if you like that. Could have used more sweet malt to offset the bitterness.

ChillCoat (1029) - Concord, California, USA - APR 16, 2008
Can via trade with mreusch. Incredibly darker than I was expecting. Burnt copper color with an ivory head. Big, citrusy hop aroma- short of lemony with a "toned down" grapefruit note. Grassy hop flavors. Sweetish caramel maltiness and More grapefruit and citrus hop notes in the flavor. Grainy, caramel malt flavors. I’d consider this a very "outside-the-box" IPA but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy it. A very well made beer.

ross (2146) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - APR 16, 2008
Can from Sean. My first Surly beer, and since I have another can from them, it wont be my last. Pours out a dark red color with a nice thick off white head on it. Smell is full of hops, pine, grapefruit.. Damn. It smells like a double IPA. Taste is very thick and chewy (that is for you, Seant), with no alcohol detected. This beer is so thick, I struggled to get the can down. Ridiculous how thick this beer was considering it isnt a double IPA. This isnt a bad thing though, as it is a very good beer. Thanks Professor Sean, I owe you a hot lunch.

MatSciGuy (907) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 10, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 15, 2010 [can] Poured just like the description, like liquid fire. Huge hop aroma that I can’t get enough of. Flavor is huge hops with not quite enough of the caramelly malt to balance it out, but that’s fine by me. Destroys your palate after one pint. The bitter spiciness lasts and lasts.

swoopjones (7020) - Buffalo, New York, USA - APR 9, 2008
#900!!! Can courtesy of Tytoanderso trade. Pours a beautiful creamy deep orange. Ful aroma of piney resiny hops & toffee & caramel. Malts really balance well with explosive hops here. Toffee sweetness & piney hops. Fuller creamy mouthfeel. Grat beer.

Dough77 (821) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - APR 9, 2008
gigantic sized grapefruit citrusy hop with some pinecone bitterness tagging along. not as much malt flavors as I approve and not enough juicy ftuitness to justify the extreme bitterness but a solid drinking potent bitter ipa.

mkgrenwel (619) - North Shore, Massachusetts, USA - APR 7, 2008
Can thanks to Tytoanderso. Nice hefty caramel malt backbone. Lots of crystal in there. Then, a big full citrus and floral hop flavor. Soapy hop flavor. Nice and tasty, but pretty standard for the style. Nothing new or exceptional.

Tilley4 (218) - Huron, Tennessee, USA - APR 5, 2008
This is a really hyped brew and I’m glad I got the chance to try it but it was way too one dimensional for me. I’m a hop lover so it smelled great, probably the best smelling IPA that I’ve ever had, but there’s no malt presence at all. Its just bitter, bitter, bitter.... Guess I’m in the minority but there are much better IPAs out there.

Sparky (2244) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - APR 3, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 28, 2009 Rerate 1/28/09. Can courtesy of Guerde. OK, now I get it. The nose smells like fresh cut grapefruit! Taste is orange, yellow grapefruit and pine. Delicious. Thanks Andy for sending a fresh can for rerating! ++++++++++++++++ 4/3/08 Pint can. Pours a cloudy amber with a big foamy 2 finger tan head with nice lacing. I had to check to see if Furious was indeed the IPA, as my can tastes more like a barleywine. Maybe I got a bad can, as the other ratings sure don’t match what I’m experiencing. Nose is caramel malts, spice and some hops. Palate is much the same with a bitter hop finish. No citrus hops, no grapefruit, no nothing. I may have to give it another go later down the road.

Oakes (17668) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - APR 3, 2008
Thick hazy amber - ugly body with a rich "we used a lot of hops" head. Big hop nose - orangey, wood with an earthy, breadcrusty background. Fat body is resiny with hops, in a pleasingly moderate bitterness matched by caramelized sugars that are only slightly sticky. An assault of hops - perhaps lacking the sense of style you see in the best PNW examples but this is nonetheless well-structured.