overall
RATINGS: 468   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.72/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 219   ABV: 7.3%
It’s been said; "It’s easier to brew an extremely hoppy beer than an extremely balanced beer." And you know us, we are always looking for the easy way out, so we jumped on the West Coast IPA bandwagon and brewed this dry and hoppy ale. "Surly’s a little bit of a one-trick pony, they just brew gimmick beers," and maybe we are OVERRATED, but at the end of the day, it’s just a beer. If you like it, great, so do we. If you only liked us when we were small, then leave this one on the shelf. Let one of the fanboys grab it.

Dr_Fellini (1020) - Norfolk, Virginia, USA - MAY 20, 2015
Can to glass. Pours a mostly clear deep golden color with a frothy light tan head. Aroma has that aluminum can character, with a touch of citrus. Flavor is wonderfully fruity, fleshy fruit hops. Very drinkable. Quite tasty. Thanks Drew!

miyauchi38 (1117) - chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 17, 2015
アメリカンIPA 香りつよくて&

TattooJack (534) - Illinois, USA - MAY 16, 2015
Orange pour from the ice cold 4-pack of tall boy cans. I don’t have a problem with taking the easy way out or being a one trick pony, my grand dad always said " stick with your strengths son". He also said "F what other people think". And then he said "The best dump you will ever take will be in someone else’s bathroom!" So I’ll just enjoy this beer and not focus too much on other people’s opinion’s, I urge you to do the same.

ccex (1366) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 13, 2015
16 oz, can pours a dark golden color with moderate to small white head and not much lacing. Aroma is not pungent, but has pine resin and floral hops. Taste is bitter with some malty sweetness in the middle, before a big bitter finish. Body is medium with only slight carbonation and a sticky mouthfeel. Easily drinkable, and not terribly overrated. I think I would have enjoyed this more if I hadn’t heard all the great expectations of Surly. My rating would be slightly higher if it had a different name or if the brewer was one unknown to me in a place like Nebraska or South Carolina.

MacBoost (1939) - Victor, New York, USA - MAY 8, 2015
Chugged in under 10 seconds. Grassy, hoppy, mediocre. When is this brewery going to pull their heads from their asses and come up with modern recipes. Garbage.

justsayswell (285) - Kansas City, Kansas, USA - MAY 6, 2015
Orange/ gold pour. Nose is juicy hop, pine needles, peach. Light/ medium body. Lots of fruity hops initially, mostly peach/mango, followed by a hint of bread with honey. Finishes dry, prickly, and bitter. More hop-centric than furious, but not a hop monster either. Well made, fun, and delicious.

tastybeer (1853) - Indiana, USA - APR 27, 2015
Can. Pours dark gold, off-white head. Some retention/lace. Aroma of citrus, floral, resinous hop, caramel malt. Taste is bitter, floral/citrus hop, caramel malt. Palate is slick, bitter finish.

CpyNPrnT (640) - Indiana, USA - APR 26, 2015
Aroma of grapefruit, citrus, taste is lots of citrus, grapefruit, tropical hops, very dry on the palate, finishes short and crisp- taste at DLD 2015.

Vir4030 (603) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 25, 2015
Pours a clear yellow with a thinnish head. Sweet delicious aroma. Nice mouth feel and flavor. Hops are light a bit bitter and yummy. Aftertaste is bitter too quite an adventure.

Sask89 (529) - Regina, Saskatchewan, CANADA - APR 24, 2015
Pours a light Amber colour, clear with a nice white head. A lot of grassy, floral, and citrus hips in the aroma; noticeable grapefruit scent. Taste is slightly sweet throughout but has an intensifying bitterness. Lighter body, thin but smooth mouth feel and lively carbonation. Overall a very nice IPA.