overall
RATINGS: 473   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.72/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 219   ABV: 7.3%
It’s been said; "It’s easier to brew an extremely hoppy beer than an extremely balanced beer." And you know us, we are always looking for the easy way out, so we jumped on the West Coast IPA bandwagon and brewed this dry and hoppy ale. "Surly’s a little bit of a one-trick pony, they just brew gimmick beers," and maybe we are OVERRATED, but at the end of the day, it’s just a beer. If you like it, great, so do we. If you only liked us when we were small, then leave this one on the shelf. Let one of the fanboys grab it.

HuskerTan (2202) - Ravenna, Nebraska, USA - AUG 26, 2015
Draft/Fest. A- Citrus, resin, pine, floral. A- Golden color, cloudy liquid, white head. T- Citrus, pine, bitter, floral, subtle caramel. P- Medium body, average texture, average carbonation, bitter finish. O- A west coast style IPA for sure. Lots of citrus, pine, and resin. And I would tend to believe that it is indeed, overrated.

fraternie (1011) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 23, 2015
Super citrusy, with grapefruit and mango fruit notes that turn a bit harsh and soapy through the heavily hopped finish.

shigadeyo (3739) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 16, 2015
Big aroma of citrus and pine hops along with a smudge of caramel; cloudy deep orange gold color with a bubbly beige head; bittersweet toffee caramel malt, sticky pine resin, grapefruit peel, candied lemon, some dried fruit in the sticky, dry, bitter finish; medium body; a touch sticky, but nice airy feel on the palate; damn good and reminds me of the good ole days of pine and citrus-forward IPAs when the original C-hops were the stars and Citra nowhere in sight!

rosskyle (722) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 14, 2015
16oz can. Golden color with a slight haze. White fluffy head. Citrus hops honey pine aroma. Medium body medium carbonation. Sweet citrus up front with a hops pine bitter finish. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

21iceman40 (1735) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 19, 2015
Decent beer. Not my favorite from the Surly line though. I have had plenty of west coast ipa’s and this one just doesn’t live up. Its not bad but its not great. I would throw this in my session fridge though.

valpoaj (744) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - JUL 19, 2015
Can pour - dated a few weeks ago, so that’ll play. Pour is a deep orange with a robust white head. Aroma is intense (really intense) - fruity hops dominate, but some grassy/resinous hops, malts and a bit of spice intertwined - guess if you’re going for a homer, swing for the fences... Flavor is pretty good - a decent dose of malt backbone to offset the hop profile, and a pretty strong bitterness throughout the drink. Bit of biscuit or yeast in there as well... Finishes a bit medicinal. Palate is medium bodied and appropriate...dry mouthfeel. One dimensional, but can’t fault the brew when that’s the goal, and that’s what I expected when I picked this one off the shelf. More than a solid brew - delish.

peterschreurs (113) - Illinois, USA - JUL 14, 2015
Another great west coast IPA. Surely never disappoints when it comes to a solid drinking beer. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

drpimento (3639) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 8, 2015
Aroma’s really good with fruit, malt, caramel, hops, herbs, grass. Appearance is good too with a nice head that settles after a bit, good lacing, and a clear gold amber color. Flavor to me is a slightly modified West Coast Style or, West Coast interpreted. Loads of hops and their bitterness, good strength, and in this case, a little more balancing malt ( which I like ). Slightly medicinal finish. Gimme another.

1pintatatime (162) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 28, 2015
Poured from a can. Nice gold color with thin off-white head. Strong aroma of citrus and resin. Starts bitter but has a bit of an almost apricot sweetness underneath. That’s quickly followed by a long, bitter finish. Very drinkable.

akoeninger (755) - Wisconsin, USA - JUN 27, 2015
Pretty beer when poured. Orange gold. Juicy, dank, resinous hop aroma and taste. Light bit of toasted malt is present in background. Very flavorful, good bitter finish and lingering fruity hop aftertaste. Fairly dry. A very good west coast ipa, wish it came in 6 packs rather than 4, but I’d have no qualms buy 8.