overall
RATINGS: 520   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
A smoked Baltic Porter. Aged in oak barrels for several months.

XmnwildX12 (2079) - Farmington, Minnesota, USA - JUN 18, 2011
UPDATED: NOV 24, 2012 Has a killer smoke scent, and a very pleasing smokey meat like flavor. Perfect for a camp fire.

craftycarl21 (2338) - Seattle, Washington, USA - APR 11, 2012
Draft at the Surly event at Churchkey. Black pour with a big, tan head. Nose starts with that gorgeous meaty smoke character, then shifts to beautiful plum and fig dark fruit presence characteristic of the baltic porter it is, then finally finishes with dry, bitter roast at the end, with a creamy palate throughout. This progression seemed to happen on both the nose and the tongue, which was just awesome. An outstanding beer, perhaps better even than Darkness and Five which I had right next to it.

andyhwcinc (1886) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 30, 2013
Purchased at Binny’s in Chicago, IL; enjoyed at home alone relaxing prior to the NYE holiday. This was an $18 bottle and I was hesitant to get it, but I’m happy that I did. Appearance is a murky pitch black with a rich but quickly dissipating tan head. Aroma is fantastic...oak, smoke, chocolate, and vanilla, it’s rich but not potent. Taste is equally fantastic. I feel like the oak takes away the harshness of the smoked malt but retains a nice flavor, mixed with the chocolate and vanilla. There is a licorice element in this as well. Overall it’s pretty great and I’m happy that I’ve had it. Very happy that Surly is in Illinois!

BeerIsMyGod (17) - Arizona, USA - FEB 6, 2014
Served in a bulb glass, very pillowy mocha head. Deep ruby in color and a mellow feel in the mouth. Tastes of an open wood fire with chocolate and toffee notes. I am a fan.

ElGaucho (2401) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - DEC 27, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 12, 2008 1/12/08: Re-rate. Draught at Blue Nile, Mnpls. Night and day difference in smoke aspect from my original sampling. Where the version at Chef Paul’s was lacking in smoke, this time smoke was very evident. Hints of smoke in the nose. Fully opaque with a tan ring. Caramelly, smoky goodness. An awesome brew; so good that just as I finished it, Surly owner Omar Ansari, walked in to the bar, "forcing" me to have another.

12/27/07: Draught at Chef Paul’s Bavarian Lodge, Lisle, IL. I suppose I really didn’t need to go to the tapping of Surly Smoke in the Western suburbs of Chicago on the eve of my moving back to the Twin Cities, where I’m sure it’s quite plentiful. Nevertheless, it gave me a chance to sample the good German fare at Chef Paul’s as well as see bwkrieger before leaving. Had the Oak Aged version as "Dahmer" at FoBab a couple of months ago and thought it was excellent. This brew too, is outstanding. Lactose in the nose with some hop, but no hint of smoke. Opaque body with a tan head and some lace. This is a sweet beer. Hop is pronounced, or is the distinctive finish from the yeast variety? Almost got a 10 from me in flavor. Sweet and chocolaty. Both my kids liked it. Has some chocolate milk character I guess. A little overly sweet for my tastes, but this is such an exceptional brew that it didn’t hinder my enjoyment of it. Again, not sure why they call it "Smoke"; there’s little to no smoke flavor evident. Ar 8, Ap 3, Fl 9, Pal 5, Ov 18
Earlier Rating: 11/9/2007 Total Score: 4.3
FoBaB ’07. Billed as Oak Aged Dahmer. One of my favorite beers at the 5th Annual Festival of Wood and Barrel-aged Beer held at Goose Island Wrigleyville. Roasted coffee aroma. Fully opaque, black body with a thin tan head. Wonderful brew. Has a hop finish. Smooth, with an oak finish. Subtle nut and oak.

Mrthirstyneck (341) - Minnesota, USA - JAN 10, 2008
this is good. as stated below, not as smoky as it was originally, (dahmer) while many disagree THIS is a different beer than originally debuted at ABR. the dahmer version WAS NOT OAK AGED! it was much smokieer than the oak aged version. I happen to find both versions delectable. drink this a bit warm and the aroma and flavor really flourish!
Earlier Rating: 10/17/2007 Total Score: 4.4
this stuff is phenomenal beer. might be my new favorite surly once the oak aged stuff cmes out huge smoke flavor and great aroma awesome beer.

DaSilky1 (2608) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 21, 2008
GABF 08: Thin, smokey nose in a meaty, slightly tangy way off this dark, almost black beer. just a halo of suds restrained the thick, mealty, chocolate, smokey flavors from escaping...This has a nice balancing hop character behind it as well. Definite smoke Bomb. Definitely meaty. Very well done!

mikeben (355) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - JAN 31, 2010
I would really say this is more of a porter then a smoked beer. I tasted some roasted flavor but not really anything too smokey.It rather sweet which I personally like. I could taste some coffee in there.

IrishBoy (4254) - Bakersfield, California, USA - APR 23, 2010
Bomber shared by iowaherkeye. Nose of prunes, light smoke, and light sweetness with a hint of vanilla. Clear dark cherry brown with a few bubbles. Flavor is very light bitterness, smaoke, and a bit of vanilla.

Taverner (1103) - San Ramon, California, USA - APR 27, 2010
Bottle from tytoanderso - thanks! Pours a brown black with not much head. Aroma is sesame, oak, coffee and smoke. Has a nice smoked pine/oak aroma and nose. Not overkill, and not too little. Finishes clean. Flavor is lightly sweet, but not too sweet at all.