overall
RATINGS: 139   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Surly Brewing is celebrating its sixth year by releasing our strongest beer yet - SYX. The 15% ABV Strong American Ale, aged on six different types of wood and features some demonic artwork by Michael Berglund on the bottle.

b3shine (9154) - Indiana, USA - NOV 27, 2012
Bomber to snifter (thanks mikem409). Looks solid; a semi-transparent orange with off-white lacing. Smells sweet and boozy. Tastes like it smells with what seems to be some hop notes. Good on the palate for the abv too. Enjoyable.

LtDan (1808) - Los Angeles County, California, USA - NOV 24, 2012
Appearance: Pours a hazy orange with a thin tight cap of white.

Aroma: Peach, white wine, fresh cut wood, solvant, grapefruit juice.

Taste: Alcohol and more alcohol. White grape, tangerine, tannins for days. Hot!

Mouthfeel: Juicy, astringent, moderate bubbles.

Overall: A very difficult beer to drink. The concept sounds great, and I would imagine you wouldn’t be able to treat a beer with lower alcohol on 6 different types of wood. Surly makes consistently great beer, but this was an experiment with no so great results.

Huhzubendah (3744) - Washington DC, USA - NOV 3, 2012
UPDATED: NOV 7, 2012 Shared by Darrell. Thanks man! I very quickly consumed half a bottle of this. As Darrell pointed out, better to get it over with as soon as possible. The beer is orange hued with a small white head. Lots of booze in bothe aroma and flavor. I would definitely describe this as hot. Oak and alcohol with a ton of malt and some citrus soaked in alcohol. Flavors clash and the overall presentation of the beer is off kilter. Overall, this was not that great. Not a repeat for me.

Thorpe429 (5122) - , Illinois, USA - NOV 3, 2012
Thanks, Darrell. Note impressed with this one at all. The nose is overloaded with malt and a bit of backing wood. Flavor is overly sweet with some backing woodiness and spice, plus a hefty amount of alcohol. Nothing I liked about this beer.

Dogbrick (13789) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - OCT 21, 2012
Sample at Denver Rare Beer Tasting IV on 10/12/2012. The beer is a bright orange-amber color with a medium off-white head that recedes steadily. Stringy lacing on the glass. Aroma of caramel, citrus and oak. Full-bodied with flavors of caramel malt, cedar and piney hops. Fruit in the background. The finish is rich with a spice and malt up front and lingering alcohol. Decent overall.

JK (6296) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - OCT 7, 2012
Autumn Brew Review 2012. Brown color. Strong aroma of alcohol. Flavor has caramel, brown sugar, and more alcohol. A big, boozy beer. I can’t imagine drinking a bomber of this sweet beer with so much alcohol character.

Hopper (827) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - OCT 6, 2012
750 ml bottle thanks to CLevar. Shared with the wife. First off great packaging by Surly, again. Pours hazy golden with a foamy white head. Aroma is more hoppy than I expected with an almost citrus like quality. The taste is fruity, citrus and goes down a lot smoother than I expected. OK I admit I didn’t really think this would go down easy but it does for it’s strength. That is a good thing in my book. A really nice fruity and citrus like quality thaty I’m digging and I hate most beers of this strength. As it warms it gets more dry presumably from the wood addition. It also gets a little much as it warms.

boFNjackson (4230) - Portland, Oregon, USA - OCT 3, 2012
Bottle... Poured mildly hazy, golden orange with a thin, off-white head. Honey sweetness on the nose with a hint of wood. Warming alcohol, but amazing balanced and drinkable for the high abv. Woody incense tones, herbal, tea-like with earthiness, some malt sweetness. Honey-like and toffee-like sugars. Folks I was tasting with thought it was quite bitter, but I didn’t detect much bitterness on this one for me. The wood and sugary tones really came through on my palate.

neepsntatties (2042) - Portland, Oregon, USA - SEP 30, 2012
Bottle shared by "misterplumpy". Colour...clear amber-gold with no head. Nose...distinctly woody and sappy with honey notes. Palate...bitter, astringent and somewhat chemically with woody notes and a lot of ethanol. Rather one dimensional as the ethanol rules the palate!

bookman10 (1213) - Osseo, Minnesota, USA - SEP 30, 2012
Pours an orangeish-yellow with minimal head that quickly dissipates. The flavor is quite sweet, almost like a Scottish ale. The alcohol is quite apparent in the aroma, though not so much in the flavor. I hope this is a beer that will taste better with age--it’s not that great right now, sorry to say.