overall
RATINGS: 141   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Surly Brewing is celebrating its sixth year by releasing our strongest beer yet - SYX. The 15% ABV Strong American Ale, aged on six different types of wood and features some demonic artwork by Michael Berglund on the bottle.

WisconsinBeer (716) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - APR 22, 2013
Bottle. This one has been sitting since I picked it up last Fall. Color is a pale orange with almost no head. Soft malts and a bit of dry hops and wood on the back end followed by a massive alcohol kick that warms the throat. It’s not a bad beer, but holy shit it packs a wallop. Seems to have mellowed nicely by sitting for awhile.

JStax (6504) - Devola/Marietta, Ohio, USA - APR 14, 2013
750 ml bottle thanks to my secret Santa. Thanks! Pours a translucent copper with a soapy white head. Aroma has some grape jelly notes. Nearly too sweet. Too much overall.

BlowOffTube (501) - Michigan, USA - MAR 31, 2013
Was hoping to like this one, but didn’t hit the mark as I would have hoped. Burnt orange pour, clean white head and decent lacing. Sweet wood smell but too sweet tasting. Decent oak taste with some alcohol burn. I like big beers but will pass on another bottle of this.

bucs572000 (237) - Minnesota, USA - MAR 24, 2013
Aroma is a nice sweet woody scent. I aged this one for about 9 months so the abv isn’t so aggressive. Flavor has an Oaked wine flavor up front, I’m getting a lot of tropical fruit in the background. I’ve also has this fresh and still enjoyed it quite a bit. Anyone who complains about the alcohol burn needs to realize that this beer is 15 percent abv and it’s pretty much impossible to hide that. I love this beer and wish I had a few more bottles!!

AdamChandler (5052) - Enfield, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 23, 2013
Golden Orange - minimal head Honey, bourbon, milk duds Very sweet, loaded with honey and bourbon. Some red wine acidity. There’s this intense maltiness balanced by sweet oak and vanilla. It’s a big beer but very approachable. The booze is easy to recognize. The big downside is the very medicine like astringency but that is common with a beer this high of an ABV

BOLTZ7555 (3027) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - MAR 14, 2013
Really stoked to land a bottle of this as I’ve been impressed with everything Surly in the past. Unfortunately, this one not only missed the mark it nearly killed a passer by! Golden tangerine pour with a small ivory head. Nose of candied citrus, Del Monte fruit cocktail in simple syrup, peaches, and alcohol. Flavor is butane, ethanol, aspartame, nectarines, citrus, oak, vanilla, and lemongrass. Not a fruit flavor combination I enjoyed. Thick, peanut-butter sticky, and chewy. Still glad I had an opportunity to try this one!

hopscotch (11101) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - MAR 9, 2013
Bottle... This beer rocks!… Clear, dark amber pour with a small, creamy, white head. Good retention. The malty, boozy aroma is a muddle of caramel, butterscotch, red apple and moonshine. Full-bodied, velvety and almost chewy with Key West carbonation. The flavor is a blend of malty caramel sweetness and acute hop and ethanol bitterness. Finishes hot and moderately sweet. Although it’s pretty rough around the edges, I really enjoyed this beer. It hit me in all the right places – although a little harder than I would have liked. I wish I had a couple more bottles to cellar for a few years. I have to go against the grain on this one. World class effort by Surly!

riversideAK (6261) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - MAR 2, 2013
Apricots peach candy floral herbal hops sugar alcohol. Nose burning. Gold pour thin gead. Flavors of alcoholic canned peaches garbage and rotten grassy hops. Hot as fuck. Thick unpleasant.

bbark10 (1) - - FEB 20, 2013 does not count
Second time tasting syx. Booziness went completely away. Lemony and refreshing with a great aroma. Wish I had a couple more bottles!

mnmike (1086) - Minnesota, USA - FEB 13, 2013
Bottle pour. Tons of alcohol flavor and power here. May be the first time I’ve said this, but this particular beer could benefit from turning down the ABVs. Respectable beer though.