overall
RATINGS: 37   MEAN: 3.15/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.13/5   IBU: 33   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
We are pleased to share our innovative black Pilsner, Pils-Noir. Made from Pearl (Winter) barley, malted for us by Munton’s, CaraMalt and Crystal malts, prepared using our unique, husk-free milling process. We then naturally darken the beer using the classic Czech technique of decoction mashing. Hopped with Oregon Willamette, Mt. Hood and Washington hops, and finished with noble Czech Saaz for a fine aroma.

RuinationPress (2) - - OCT 5, 2012 does not count
Love it. Does exactly what the style calls for and I enjoyed the subtle smokiness that brings it all together.

hampale (118) - Jaffrey, New Hampshire, USA - JUL 19, 2013
Picked up a bottle of this product as part of a mix-a-six while traveling through PA.Very regrettable decision - I should have bought a case. This is undoubtedly the smoothest and tastiest pilsner I’ve discovered in recent years. I know Susquehanna is a relatively new brewery and, unfortunately, their products are not yet distributed in New England. Hopefully, I’ll be in PA again before too long and, when that time arrives, a case of Pils-Noir will be coming back with me.

beastiefan2k (4082) - HdG (past: NYC, KS, Rain City), Maryland, USA - SEP 10, 2016
12oz bottle, no date, poured into glass mug from Coney Island Brewing. Dark brown color but looks black. Head is small but retention is long, sticks around. Aroma is clean earthiness with light roast. Most importantly clean yet full. Flavor is mineral sprtiz lagering with just a very light roast at the end of the flavor. Full yet delightful tingly on the palate. Superbly done, its nice to have such a well made schwarz available in my area. Looking forward to having my Full Sail Black Lager replacement.

DocLock (11020) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 21, 2012
Squat bottle from Capone’s. Pours translucent burnt sienna with 1-finger off-white head. Nose is Munich and caramel malts, complex hops, earthy notes. Tastes Munich malty, earthy, dry, with an overall nut brown aley flavor, backup hops, and a malty finish. A novel concept, this one, but as I said before, it comes off more like a nut brown ale than a pils.

Leafs93 (2343) - Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 23, 2012
On the ninth day of Christmas. Pours deeper brown with an off white head. Aroma is nut, caramel, roast and earthy. Taste is sweet with some smokey bitters. Light mouth feel and a crisp finish. Very drinkable.

mansquito (6885) - Nueva York, New York, USA - DEC 29, 2012
Barcade, Philadelphia tap ($6): Pous a black color with a tan head. Aroma is straw, smoke, roasted malt, and grassy hops. Taste is much the same. Nice body. Easy drinking, but nice and complex at the same time. Confused why this isn’t a schwarzbier.