overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 543   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.01/5   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Sweetwater Blue is a unique lighter style ale enhanced with a hint of fresh blueberry. When you drink this beer take a good whiff first and you’ll smell the blueberry influence, but on the taste it’s extremely subtle and the finish is extra clean. Ain’t no fruit beer, but it is our breakfast beer, usually folks that are looking to quench their thirst or for those that are new to the “good beer” lifestyle; this is their choice. This brew and the ESB were the original two to go through the tanks at SweetWater in February 1997.

Medals: Bronze medal winner at the 1998 World Beer Cup, Fruit Beer category; Always the funky favorite at any outdoor beer festival

Malt: 2 Row, Wheat

Hops: Centenial

brittm (1) - USA - JUL 7, 2006 does not count
A fairly low-bodied beer for those days when you don’t want anything too heavy. A good blueberry aroma, but the fruit flavor is subtle on the tongue. Not too yeasty or hoppy, a well-balanced drink.

kimcgolf (872) - Dacula, Georgia, USA - JUL 6, 2006
This was a tough one to rate........it was a very good blueberry pancake syrup. Unfortunately, I was drinking beer. Initial aroma of blueberries is strongly present the second the bottle is opened, and stays throughout the glass. However, at mid glass, I also detected a slight soapy aroma. Appearance is golden yellow with thick white head and decent lacing. Flavor was more of the blueberry taste, and finish was so strongly blueberry, if I hadn’t known better, I would have sworn I just finished a good breakfast, instead of an after work drink. Sadly, like with pancakes, a little of this beer goes a long way, and I couldn’t have many.

YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - JUL 3, 2006
Cloudy straw color with a brief white head. Blueberries evident in the aroma but not cloyingly. Malt, cinnamon, yeast also present. Medium body with gentle carbonation. The flavor was less blueberry than the aroma. Somewhat like blueberry pancakes. Decent but nothing special.

User37895 (3085) - - JUN 11, 2006
Poured a very pale golden color with a nice head and decent lacing. The aroma was of blueberries and barley. The flavor was of blueberries over wheat with a definite spicing character (ginger). This was a spiced as it was fruity, I kinda liked it. Mouthfeel was light but carbonated.

GeneralGao (3614) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - JUN 10, 2006
Draught. Hazy yellow color with bubbly white head. Attractive buttery blueberry aroma and flavor with a nice grainy finish. The fruit flavor is subtle, as I prefer, and accents the wheat beer rather than dominating it. Very good fruit beer.

Poobah (469) - New Orleans, Louisiana, USA - JUN 2, 2006
Nice blueberry aroma. My first blueberry beer. Good flavor. Easy to drink. Perfect for a hot day. I would like to taste another version to compare. Do the Belgians brew one? Overall a satisfying beer.

bu11zeye (13215) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - MAY 31, 2006
(Bottle) Pours a clear golden body with a small white head. Aroma of blueberries was apparent. Light blueberry flavor and aftertaste. I enjoy fresh blueberries, but not necessarly in my beer...

pintocb (654) - Hoon, Georgia, USA - MAY 24, 2006
Not really a beer drinker’s beer. Not bad for dessert. Very fruity. I’ll drink this if my only other choices are Bud or Miller.

cbkschubert (2901) - BFE, Arizona, USA - MAY 7, 2006
courtesy of decaturstevo - Pours a golden color with a very faint head. The blueberry aroma is detectable. The berry flavor is present, but not over powering. Light bodied and easy to drink. Not bad. Thanks Steve.

jrob21 (3807) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAY 7, 2006
At Taste of the Highlands. Glad, now that this is off the list and I didn’t have to buy a whole six pack. Hints of blueberries obviously but not like a blueberry popsickle. I am not a fan of the blueberry beers so enough said.