overall

RATINGS: 196   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.69/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
The biggest farm animal to come out of the SweetWater Barn! We bucked up and threw everything, including the kitchen sink, into this "Jackass" concoction. At 10% ABV and over 90 IBU - You’ll know it when it hits you in the back of the head!

ericwoo (1) - USA - NOV 30, 2011 does not count
This beer has remained on my top 5 list for years now. My only hope is they find it within themselves over at Sweetwater to build this beauty one more time. The DP Barleywine was a perfect specimen in this style. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Butters (4176) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - OCT 1, 2009
Bomber pours a great clear orange with nice billowing head and decent lacing. This must be a fresh bottle, because the aroma is amazing resiny pine hop. Flavor has lots of honey hops, floral, and big malty backbone for balance. Very similar characteristics to Hopslam. This is absolutely phenominal. I consider this to be more of a DIPA than a barleywine. Almost no I would want to drink this as soon as it comes off the bottling line, not cellar it like any other barleywine. Awesome label, and only $6 a bottle!

Beerona97 (2399) - Washington, USA - JAN 2, 2010
UPDATED: JAN 30, 2010 DANK TANK Bomber Bottle. Holy sweet Moses this beer is hoppy, I was hit by it the second I cracked the cap. Pours brilliant ruby with some haze and a huge beige head that retains until the end. Aroma- pine, grapefruit, floral hops, toffee, brown sugar, DANK White Rhino, Northern Lights, Skunk#1, generally resinous. Taste is certainly bitter but not overly done, partly becasue of the balance of toffee, fruit and brown sugar. Thick body, great smooth carbonation. All flavors are present and the taste buds are having a great time. Somewhat of a peppery finish. Incredible beer, they can call it a Barleywine or whatever the hell they want to but I’m saying it’s just awesome. Best I have had from Sweetwater, 142.0 IBU’s, that’s awesome. I just wish I could buy this on a daily basis but unfortunately it doesn’t make it to Tennessee yet.

Barrios (1243) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 5, 2009
Pours a copper body with a slight haze and a beige head. Flavor is malt, mango, floral, tangerine, caramel. Flavor can be described the same but it is bold. Grapefruit, little floral, bitter finish. Amazing.

pintocb (654) - Hoon, Georgia, USA - SEP 27, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 7, 2007 Red and sticky and full of piney goodness. 10%???? Well hidden. A little less malty than I would expect.....but great hops. The hoppiness that hurt their impy stout serves them well here. Incredibly drinkable barleywine.

radagast83 (8476) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - OCT 15, 2007
Huge bottle, unsure about size. From friends who brought this back from Georgia. Overall this beer was fantastic. It wasn’t as barely wine like as I expected, but that might have been better for me than it otherwise could have been. Alcohol is extremely masked in this beverage, and with an extremely smooth beverage, it’s hard to not drink it faster than you should.

ScottyP (425) - Brentwood, Tennessee, USA - OCT 2, 2009
Pours amber with tan head. Aroma and taste are very similar. Pine hops slowly build up and then gets hit by a wall of malt to make this a blissful finish. Usually not a huge fan of barley wines, always have a tough time distinguishing them, but barley wine this stands out.

jimbowood (1036) - Freeport, Georgia, USA - SEP 29, 2007
Bottle. I don’t like being down on local breweries, but I’ve been down on Sweetwater for awhile. With this brew, they’re back in my good graces. This is by far their best offering and a very unique and hoppy take on the style. Very smooth and drinkable. Reminiscent of the original Wild Dog IIPA. Very good.