overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 91   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.34/5   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
A cutting edge English Style Bitter with a mellow hop finish. Experience this medium bodied ale with it's complex combination of six malts balanced by four hop varieties.

Bulk_Carrier (6065) - Vermont, USA - AUG 25, 2014
Though retired, this is my take on this well before it was retired. Sorry for the late upload. This was poured into a pint glass. The appearance was an amber color with a slight transparency about it to allow a decent carbonation to be seen rising into a one finger white foamy head. Once the head died down, there was some thin messy lacing here and there. The smell had a light earthy bittered English maltiness normally construed as "soapy" to some but to me I understand what Sweetwater was trying to do. The taste was the English bitter malts. On the palate, this one sat about a light to medium on the body with a fair sessionability about it. The carbonation was there and somewhat smooth and creamy with a gentle breadiness running over my tongue and mouth. Overall, good ESB. Sweetwater did everything they could do with this beer.

EyeAmBaldman (461) - Illinois, USA - JUL 26, 2014
Pours a clear amber with a thin white hea that leaves very little lacing in the glass. Aroma is nearly non-existent. Taste is bitter up front and stings the throat as it goes down. Then it disappears quickly with a nice clean finish. Very good ESB.

novice101 (308) - - SEP 20, 2013
Not my style of beer at all, pours a darker orange color with a nice head and all of the flavor is just bitterness, the beer is just bitter. that is all

nathan30533 (1020) - Clifton, Ohio, USA - APR 9, 2011
I had this as I began my esb drinking. Good bitter hop flavor. Overall. I wish it weren’t retired.

chandler0201 (650) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - DEC 21, 2010
Amber pour with medium white head. Aroma of malts and hint of hops, same for the flavor which was a bit watery for an ESB.

brianprentiss (702) - Portland, Oregon, USA - OCT 31, 2008
Too bad they retired this one. This was one of the only micro’s we could get on draft in Birmingham in the early 2000’s and this beer was my intro to craft brew. I’m very grateful and have fond memories.

fro2218 (471) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - OCT 26, 2007
This was a tasty Malty ESB. Nothing lept out at you. Was a shame to see it go.

kp (10882) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - SEP 1, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 14, 2008 Date: 09/09/2000
Mode: Draft
Source: Taco Mac, Cumming

Appearance: clear amber, frothy white head,
Aroma: sweet malt aroma with citrus hops,
Flavor: sweet carmel malt flavor with long lingering lip smacking hop bitterness,
Overall: a good move to rename it to an esb

Aroma: 7/10; Appearance: 7/10; Flavor: 7/10; Palate: 5/10; Overall: 16/20
Rating: 3.7/5.0
Score: **4
-------- /> The score was calculated based upon the notes and an old scoring system.

pintocb (654) - Hoon, Georgia, USA - JAN 28, 2007
The CAT made me miss this beer. Brown and some red highlights. Was a great session beer. Sigh.....memories.

unclemattie (4358) - Georgia, USA - AUG 16, 2006
I hate to see that a local brewery discos a decient style of theirs. The first time I had this beer it was Sweetwater Ale. Then they changed it to ESB. IT was amber in color. very nice maltiness, good hop finish. Too bad.