overall
RATINGS: 584   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
It's nice to be able to finally brew some beer without restrictions on it. we came from Colorado where we could brew or try anything. We've been waiting 7 years to make a stout and we harnessed all that frustration into this batch of beer.

We didn't get caught up in the parameters of a specific style we just brewed a big fat hoppy beautiful beer. The timing of the law change couldn't have been better for us, because it has taken until this summer for us to get set up in our new brewery. We finally have some capacity to experiment with some new style. This could lead into a seasonal offering from us in the future. For now we're just glad we can satisfy the demands of the folks who have been on us since day 1 to make a stout.

Malt: 70/80 crystal malt, chocolate malt, black malt, roasted malt

Hops: Centennial, Willamette and cascade - on the dry hop!

Magjayran (1378) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 12, 2008
As soon as I open this sucker I get a whiff of vegetable soup. What the hell? It pours an oily black with a tan head. Definitely a charcoal aroma on top of that soup smell. The flavor allows for a touch of chocolate and coffee while being dominated by smoke and mineral bitterness. Sweet at the finish. Drinkable.

nearbeer (5424) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - MAR 9, 2008
UPDATED: SEP 28, 2008 12 oz, bb 12/31/08. Opaque black with a small but persistent head leaving nice frosting on the glass. Aroma is chocolate coffee with citrus. Flavor is overpowering orange-citrus with some chocolate, char, and coffee trying to peek through at the end. Heavy body is smooth and has some tingle on the dry finish. Quality brew, but way overhopped for my Impy tastes.

tympanic (168) - New York, New York, USA - MAR 6, 2008
Lovely. This delicious, dark, hoppy beer just might lead to a situation tonight.

YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - MAR 5, 2008
Opaque black body beneath a dense tan head. Coffee and chocolate dominate the aroma with wisps of roasted malt and a touch of citrus hops. The flavor is also a mocha java sensation with some roasted nuts. Very enjoyable.

BeerloverEJ21 (131) - Georgia, USA - MAR 3, 2008
On tap at a bar in Athens, Ga. Pitch black color and slightly burnt aroma. Had a great smooth texture and a decent taste, but for some reason the flavors didn’t blend well. Reminded me a lot of Left hand milk stout because of that sweet lactose taste. Overall not bad but not my favorite either. I don’t know why but Sweetwater has yet to impress me

Beershine (5224) - VANCOUVER, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 1, 2008
Bottle, thanks to unclemattie! Thick tarry black pour with little head. Nose is tobacco, hickory smoke, bacon, and charcoal. Dry charry taste. Palate is fizzy and thin. The impact fades. Good but not great.

gottalottaibu (243) - charlotte, North Carolina, USA - MAR 1, 2008
deep dark black pour. smaller carmel tight bubbly head. roasted coffee, bittersweet chocolate in the aroma. similar in flavor. roasted bitter chocolate up front as burnt coffee grounds lingered behind that. the hops came through a bit in the finish. alcohol was greatly hidden and it was super easy drinker for such a big style.

tyler_mn (1475) - SLP, Minnesota, USA - FEB 27, 2008
12oz bottle from JW77 (I think...). Roasted malt, dark, bitter chocolate, light coffee notes and a hint of smoke on the nose. Pours pretty much thick black with a nice sized thick khaki head. Bitter malt, bitter chocolate, a wisp of smoke, coffee, liquorice on the tongue. Nice mouthfeel, though. Fairly lush and silky. Without that, this would be average at best.

douglas88 (9194) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 20, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 22, 2008 Bottle thanks to jrob_21. Poured into a Guinness glass. A jet black body with a powerful light brown head. The aroma is mostly brown sugar with some hops. I really think there is a strong meaty and smoked aspect to the taste, it could be the Liquorice perhaps. A strong hop component and some dark chocolate. I really liked this one, but hey I like Impys.

Collint (475) - Sylva, North Carolina, USA - FEB 20, 2008
12 oz bottle. Thanks TikiE. Poures a dark tan head and the color is pitch black. Aroma of dark chocolate and coffee. The carbonation gives a good mouthfeel. Notes of roast in the finish. Very good beer, not as good as Victory Storm King.