overall
Brewed by Taiwan Tobacco and Liquor Corp
Style: Pale Lager
Jhongjheng District, Taipei City, Taiwan

RATINGS: 223   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.01/5   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
A type of lager beer made from barley malt, hops and ponlai rice, with a golden hue and unique taste, it is honored world-wide.

Pyobon (1416) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - DEC 3, 2007
Bottle. Pale yellow and clear with a quickly dissipating thin white head. Mild aroma with grain and apples. Taste is mild, but less bland than many other local brews. The foretaste is fruity, grapes or apples, giving way to a grain and hops taste with a fair amount of bitterness in the finish. The palate is thin with quite fizzy carbonation. It’s certainly not a great beer, but for a generic beer in asia it’s drinkable.

DubC5000 (305) - San Francisco, California, USA - SEP 28, 2007
Smells like apple grape juice, and tastes like a cross between apple juice and Heineken. Not much else to say... can sort of taste the rice adjunct influence, but it isn’t altogether unpleasant.

kp (10882) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - SEP 1, 2007
Name: Taiwan Beer
Date: 02/03/2007
Mode: Bottle
Source: Tasting, Cellar Party

cloudy light yellow, widpy white head, light fruity candy aroma, light candy malt flavor, a touch of balancing floral hops, light bitter finish,

Aroma: 4/10; Appearance: 4/10; Flavor: 4/10; Palate: 5/10; Overall: 8/20
Rating: 2.1/5.0
Drinkability: 5/10
Score: *+/4

dwyerpg (6219) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 9, 2007
Everything about this beer is just okay. The smell is okay, and the flavor. It’s mostly dominated by hops and the finish is a little coating.

Delirium (669) - Falmouth, Cornwall, ENGLAND - AUG 5, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 10, 2007 Can. Pours pale-lager yellow with a fizzy white head. Aroma is actually somewhat interesting, with a lot of unusual graininess that I assume is from the rice, some fruity apple notes, and a bit of hops. Flavor isn’t quite as interesting, and somewhat marred by an off taste, but this is still interesting for a pale lager, with more of a rice-grain character than most Asian rice lagers. Mind you this isn’t a great beer by normal standards, but it’s good for the style and region---at least it tastes like *something*, even if that something is more cider than beer. Much better than expected, anyway.

jtw (1165) - farmington, Michigan, USA - JUN 20, 2007
12 oz bottle of unknown age - i did not have high expectations for this one. surprisingly there is little of the typical pale lager and adjunct ’stink’ but instead a tiny bit of sweetness and malt in the aroma. perhaps a bit of oxidation is apparent in the fruity apple element behind the sweetness but not too far past its prime. rather creamy and smooth feel despite a steady but light stream of bubbles rising - light-bodied and light-flavored but certainly not bad, and although the oxidation is more apparent in the flavor than the aroma, it’s not a bad beer, far exceeding my expectations.

jmglov (15) - Tokyo, JAPAN - JUN 13, 2007
Bottle. Nice golden colour with champagne-like bubbles. Very thin white head that dissipated almost immediately. Musty smell, like apples in the cellar. Tastes of fermented apples, with a sweet lingering after-taste. Very cider-like taste. Heavy carbonation gives quite a sharp bite; again, palate is very cider-like. Overall, the beer was quite a pleasant surprise. I expected a flavourless Asian lager, but got something with very unique character.

0.9
EKGoldings (664) - Radford, Virginia, USA - APR 24, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 15, 2008 An overcarbonated, nondescript beer in the vein of the $1.99 6-pak beers available in the US. Heavy on adjunct, light on hops, as others point out, only drinkable when ice cold. In bottles when I’m eating hot food I’ve begun ti like this one.

shaofutzer (5) - Texas, USA - JAN 18, 2007 does not count
This is probably the first beer I got drunk on. I had forgotten what it tasted like so when I found it at a local grocery store, I snatched up a 6-pack without even thinking twice. My fond memories were to be rewarded with the gentle reminder of light citrus wheat goodness that is Taiwan Beer. Many will knock this beer for its generic labelling, generic name, and "generic" taste - but don’t be fooled. To me, taste is secondary to its effect on my body. I’m a nutrionalist so I spend alot of time analyzing which beverages and foods do what to my body. I rate Taiwan beer with the best of them for one reason alone. While the taste I appreciate may solely be nostalgiac, the effect it has on my body is no less than miraculous. This is one of the few beers out of the HUNDREDS I’ve gotten drunk off of that I can drink with no hangover ceiling. That means, I can drink until I pass out with no noticeable signs of a hangover the next morning. After all, what good is beer if you feel like a sick animal the next morning? I’ve had enough of those mornings. Some beers consistently do it to me, and some, like this one, never do. So those beers will get the recognition they deserve. Try it, you may like it.

asedzie (830) - San Francisco, California, USA - DEC 26, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 27, 2006 600 ml. bottle. Feel like I should rate the local brew. This is actually the variety I prefer from Taiwan Tobacco and Liquor (TTL), I avoid the "Gold Label" Taiwan Beer, as it is a piss poor beer and is only marketed to compete for the younger market with foreign brands like Heineken. Taiwan Beer pours yellow with lasting foam head. Flavor is extremely heavy corn, blandness with a background of rotting vegetables. Some relatively pleasant bitterness and generic hop flavor along with a slight taste of alcohol. Aftertaste is more rotting vegetables and some lingering bitterness. I actually notice a lot less sweetness than other kinds of Taiwan Beer (i.e. Gold Medal Taiwan Beer), and perhaps that is why I actually consider it drinkable. Very carbonated. Best if consumed very cold, in large quantities in a park in Taiwan on uneventful night. Oh yeah, be aware that this beer has a tendency to produce awful hangovers.