overall
RATINGS: 204   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.36/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
This beer is a Belgian Tripel that lives up to its name. Smooth and carefully crafted like a fine velvet painting, but with an 8.5% ABV this bird has some spurs! The beer pours a golden straw color with brilliant clarity. Topped with a lofty pure white head the beer has a wonderful floral nose, with subtle fruit notes. The taste is clean and crisp, with subtle fruit notes and a touch of candy like sweetness. The beer has a Champagne-like effervescent that provides a crisp offset to its sweet finish. While a pint glass is always nice, Velvet Rooster would also be at home in a tulip glass or Champagne flute. Something to crow about.

miahac (6) - Wichita, Kansas, USA - AUG 23, 2013 does not count
Another amazing beer from Tallgrass. I want to meet the guy who mastered this chemistry of taste and intoxication. When to to the liquor store and see the tallgrass mix pack has the rooster as its featured beer, I will always pick it up. I am usually a bitter fan but the citrus. assault combined with the unapologetic high alcohol yeast in the Rooster is just enough to leave you in a wonderful state of waiting for the next Velvet Rooster.

mlmeeks (46) - Winona, Mississippi, USA - FEB 12, 2013
From the can. White head leaving good laces. Lemon zest with citrus and Belgian spice. Nice level of carbonation. Lemon orange spice yeast flavor. Damn good tripel.

FURLYSURIOUS (263) - Orono, Minnesota, USA - FEB 14, 2012
Pours a hazed golden apricot color with a finger of head that recedes to a nice fresh collar through out.

Nose features malt, belgian yeast, lemon pepper, some sweet bread.

Flavor is fantastic, its sweet with light colored fruits, grapes and apples, it then has a lemon tartness with sweet malt/bread.

Feel is spot on.

This is my favorite offering to date from Tall Grass.

Aholmb1 (134) - New Orleans, Louisiana, USA - AUG 23, 2013
Appearance: super nice white head when poured, stays in tact for a long time, dense head, translucent cloudy yellow color with a hint of orange Aroma: smells amazing, very strong smell of sweetness, berries Taste: this beer has alot flavors, caramel, sweet note of fruit, but bitter at the same time Palette: this beer has some bitterness, the flavor also moves up into your nostrils, very strong flavor but very tasty Overall: I enjoy this beer, if you do not like a really strong flavor beer then this would not be for you, it has complex flavors and is very interesting ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

nALEHEAD (12) - Salina, Kansas, USA - DEC 2, 2011
I’ll admit, I’m no expert/fan of Belgian Tripels, and I have to be in the right mood to even drink one. A friend gave me this 16oz. can to try. I did not have my hopes too high about this one. It poured with a big white head, obviously plenty of carbonation and hazy in the glass. Great lacing. My first impression was, it reminds me of a wheat beer. But with more tasting, it has a more complex flavor. Sweet almost candy-like, which normally I don’t care for in a good beer. I want to have more of this tasty Belgian. Might change my mind about this style of beer. Very satisfying! Maybe this will provoke me to try more Belgian Tripels. .

bdoncal (2) - - JUL 29, 2017 does not count
UPDATED: JUL 29, 2017 12 ounce can. pours a hazy yellow. One of the best Tripels I've ever had, no antiseptic taste at all, clean, smooth, biscuits. Love it!

Itzjerm (3135) - Taft, Tennessee, USA - FEB 20, 2012
This is a very very nice triple.. tiny bit of bite which goes away with a few sips. Golden very nice head. Nice belgian aroma. Another fine brew from Tall grass.. they are growing to be one of the best out there.