overall
RATINGS: 346   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Terminal Gravity IPA is a copper to honey colored ale with a rich malt character and a clean bitter hop finish. This full bodied beer uses malts from Scotland, Belgium and the Pacific Northwest to achieve a slightly nutty lightly toasted taste. Yeast esters provide hints of stone fruits like apricot and peach, while hops from Yakima and Eastern Europe provide grapefruit and spicy notes.

Reid (2590) - Salem, Oregon, USA - DEC 29, 2004
Bought in a 12 oz stubby brown bottle..says "live beer" onlabel so I suppose this is unpasteurized. Nice murky orange colour, typical PNW IPA, in appearance, small pure white head and some nice carbonation..good lacing. Classic American IPA aromas, graprefruit, spiciness and a lick of malt. Quite a nice tasting IPA, decidedly hoppy !, yet under it all there lies a strong base of good malts, semi dry finish and a long lingering pleasant bitter aftertaste. Nice on the palate and remarkably smooth for and IPA. Quite a nice nd drinkable IPA. Not one of the very best..but good none-the-less. Would love to taste this fresh at the brewery some day..maybe next summer..

YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - DEC 28, 2004
Very good IPA. Pours a hazy dark amber with an off-white head. Aroma is grapefruit/hops. Body is creamy and smooth, nicely carbonated. Flavor was a refreshing grapefruit/citrus that was very appealing. Good stuff.

RogerBurks (45) - Portland, Oregon, USA - DEC 27, 2004
I’m not a big IPA fan, but a work colleague bought me a six-pack for Christmas. I was pleasantly surprised. It’s got the hoppiness and floral quality of an IPA, but also a nice fruit-spice taste as well. It’s very "natural" tasting, very clean and appealing. There’s very little bitterness in the palate, which I like - the melange of intriguing flavors lingers long. This is an IPA that I will buy myself.

biz82 (1327) - austin, Texas, USA - DEC 25, 2004
Pours thick and hazy with some yeast and little head. Aroma of burnt caramel, celery, wood. Very unusal flavor. Woody and tart with some anti-septic qualities. I attribute this to the yeast. I once used White Labs 026 and got similar flavors. It grows on you though and there is alot going on. You get new flavors with each sip. Some citrus, some blackberry. Not your usual IPA.

hopdog (12869) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 25, 2004
Poured a dark, cloudy amber/copper color with an averaged sized tan head. Has an earthy aroma to it with pine needles. Apricots and grapefruit as well. Maybe some grasses lurking in the background. Medium bitterness with a malty, almost caramel balance. This one grew on me more with each sip I took. Not your one dimensional, highly bitter, hop overload IPA.

Bill Becker (1105) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - DEC 16, 2004
Bottles bought from an on line store: Well, this is THE best IPA I’ve ever tasted. Not one sour note that I can mention so....I’m giving it a perfect 5.

JahNoth (1039) - Rochester, New York, USA - DEC 9, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 30, 2004 This is an intereting brew - not your standard IPA that is for sure. Odd, earthy, dog-breath aroma, burnt caramel. Pours a caramel hue, some effervescence with a nice head and light lacing. Mouthfeel is rich on the taste and watery on the finish. Taste ranges from grapefruity hops to quaker toasted oat squares to earthy British style hops. Very sweet and very bitter simultaneously. Thanks for the sample go to Derek Arent - the famous one.

Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - DEC 6, 2004
Okay, I’ve had countless pints of this locally. I know I’ve rated this before, I guess I forgot to transfer my review from that lame-ass site before I got banned yet again without reason. Bottled version, and yet another awesome reason to live in the PNW. I’m pumped that they now have it in bottles; I hope I can find it up in Seattle in a few weeks. This is my go-to beer when I find it on tap. Anyway, on with the rating... So, pours a brownish orange with a decent head that leaves some decent lacing. Aroma is...wow. You’d think you were about to take a sip of grapefruit juice. Pure floral hops with only a hint of malt. Flavor is very well balanced. Nice malt sweetness does a nice job of keeping this from being too bitter Nice floral hops, spices...damn, it’s been too long. I’m in such heaven right now that I can’t even pick out the flavors; please forgive me. It’s not nearly as citric, though, as the aroma, which is a good thing. Palate is very thick and crisp. Overall, this is about as solid of an IPA as you will ever find and *definately* worth seeking out. I hope my local store gets more in soon.

TAR (2776) - Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina, USA - DEC 2, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 27, 2004 Unfiltered apricot. Thin, tight-bubbled white foam laces solidly. Earthy hops, roasted grains, and toffee-glazed nuts dominate the aroma. Suggestions of unsweetened chocolate, maple, root bark, and fresh pine. Minimally estery. Slightly airy carbonation. Light bodied. Flavored with unrefined pinewood hop notes and fresh cracked malt. ESB-like with its toffee/nutty malt base. Low acidity but stingingly piney with trace resin sappiness. Quite sweet, though, and lacking in overall snappy hop definition or fruity esters to deepen the sharpness of the hops. Trace airiness augments the glazed pine richness to keep it from becoming oversweet. Deceptively hoppy, particularly after half a glass, as the hop bitterness far outweighs the hop flavor, slowly numbing the tip of the tongue. Well-attenuated finish with minty hops compounding the dryness and exaggerating the earthy hop bite and lingering pinewood flavor. It’s timidly dry-hopped and thus fails to produce little more than a lifeless hop belch, but this is exceptionally balanced, in spite of its duller-than-most hop character and predominantly-husky malt structure.

5000 (6862) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - DEC 1, 2004
Bottle pours dark caramel, large foamy off-white head, clingy lacing, with soft carbonation.   Grainy aroma with fresh hops abound and light citrus.   Clean hop bite on first sip, with slight grains.   Goody body, medium mouthfeel.   Finishes smooth, no lingering bitterness.   Slight malty on the aftertaste.   Very clean and tasty!