overall

RATINGS: 740   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 249   ABV: 8.3%
This mammoth imperial red ale leads with a tantalizing hop aroma that is quickly complemented by an enormous malt backbone. Finishing with a multitude of hoppy goodness, this “Monster Beer” is truly not for the faint at heart.

NateBarnett (75) - Augusta, Georgia, USA - FEB 10, 2011
Bottle. Pours a deep brown amber with a light brown head. Aroma is largely caramel and roasted coffee, with some grapefruit notes and hints of soy sauce as well. Very creamy, rich mouthfeel for this style. Great balance between the bitter and sweet flavors. I wasn’t anticipating the creamy/coffee influence, but it plays very well with the citrus. Far exceeded my expectations.

mitchgt (65) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - NOV 21, 2009
From a 2009 4-pack, for which I think the Liquor Loft here in Tallahassee charged me about $900. Sweeter by a bit than usually I like as the hops nearly but don’t quite balance the malts. Caramel and raspberry. First few sips hoppier and less sweet somehow than the last. Tasty nonetheless.

wpp83 (64) - Athens, Georgia, USA - OCT 23, 2004
On-tap at the Mellow Mushroom. Poured a beautiful deep red with a nice creamy white head that lasted all through the beer with lacing that reminded me of a Guiness. The aroma was very grassy, lots of hoppy scents. And the flavor, imagine mixing a grapefruit drink with a truly well balanced IPA. The mouthfeel was characterized by a bite of mild carbonation mxed with a smoopth creaminess. Excellent beer if you want something to sit back and sip down without being assaulted by any unwanted flavors.

Apache (63) - Florida, USA - JAN 15, 2011
Nice malty backbone, with lots of hops. Floral hop head with some caramel notes.

deadCATAtlanta (61) - Georgia, USA - JUN 8, 2013
UPDATED: JUL 31, 2013 Pours a light copper. super tasty. Aroma of caramel, pine, and hops. Hop heavy, but that goes without saying. Fruity malt in the front hop bite in the back. one of my favorites from Terrapin.

LennyH (60) - Delaware, USA - NOV 18, 2006
Whoa! 12oz bottle. Pours a dark, reddish color with a big fluffy head. The aroma is flowery and hoppy but it didn’t really give me a good idea of the punch this packs. This is a well balanced but very dry, bitter brew. Very well done! I wish I could get this regularly.

jimstrassburg (57) - Germantown, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 18, 2006
Thanks Blake for this beer. I drank it a while ago and haven’t rated it so this is from memory. What I remember was primarily that I would love to aquire some more of this. I believe it was my first imperial red. Lots of citrus-iy hopps in the nose. Taste is thick and hearty. Very nice.

realbama (55) - Destin, Florida, USA - OCT 7, 2011
I was very impressed with this beer. The look and aroma are great and all, but the taste of this brew is unique and fantastic. Very hoppy (of course), a little raisin, toasted wheat, fig... just a whole lot of greatness in the taste of this. A perfect session beer. Try one!

yomintyfresh (53) - USA - JUN 13, 2007
Beautiful dark red color, starts off smooth and malty on the palate but finishes sharp and dry.

tinydancer (52) - Gibsonville, North Carolina, USA - JAN 27, 2006
Amber brown in color. Slightly hazy translucent. Small head. Aroma is rich of cascade hops, pine, grapefruit, caramel, plum. Palate is smooth. Not heavy on carbonation. Flavor is sweet and lightly malty. Slight smokiness. Hops are in effect here. The hops don’t smack you in the face, but this beer is IIPA for sure. It reminds me a great deal of 90 min IPA in that the flavor is very rich and sweet, almost syruppy. However, it is heavier on the malt than a 90 mintue. It is almost like a light imperial stout with hops gallore.This is a very good beer and I am glad to have found it. in the mountians of NC.