overall
RATINGS: 1060   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48/5   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
We Consider this an extreme version of an American Pale Ale. It has a very up front floral and citrus aroma from a late cascade addition and dry hopping with Amarillo. This beer also has a big malt background to balance the bitterness of the hops. The rye malt cleans up your palette after you swallow so the hop flavor does not stick in your mouth too long.
Now available in bottles.

tiggmtl (4545) - East York, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 12, 2005
Floral, grassy, herbal and orange-grapefruit citrus hops in the aroma. Clear golden body with a thin white head that recedes to ring. Toasted malt flavours are joined by earthy, floral, citrus hops and moderate bitterness. Medium body is quite dry in the mouth with decent carbonation that engages the tongue. Sampled at GABF 2005.

southgadawg (6) - USA - DEC 7, 2005 does not count
First drank this at Wild Wings in Athens. One of my more frequent purchases now. Golden color. Aroma comes across with lemon grass. Hops are the main character in this beer. Very clean. Excellent Pale Ale.

chriso (7533) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - DEC 6, 2005
Bottle at London gathering, November 2005. Courtesy CaptainCougar (I think). Golden colour. Grass aroma. Lots of hop juice character on the palate - sharp, almost sour. Lots of grapefruit. Trouble is, I didn’t detect too much else to provide a counterpoint. I certainly didn’t find a "big malt background". I guess the brewer’s description of an extreme APA is pretty much on the button. However, whilst I liked the aroma, the flavour was a bit too one-dimensional and lacking in poise for me. I felt there was a certain emptiness at the core.

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - NOV 25, 2005
Confession: reptiles with banjos just have a hold on me, case closed, no explanation (well, beermail me and I’ll give it out)...the one on this beer’s label is a turtle with a straw hat, looking all countrified, probably plucking "turkey in the straw"...gotta love it! Pours a hazy, golden/amber hue, with a full flush of foam on top. Aroma is nice and hoppy, fresh and zesty. Taste: nice. Creamy, with a citric bite. Has a gritty tang that I kind of like. Rolls handily along the tongue, smooth, easily quaffable, medium-bodied, wit a crisp smack on the palate...creamy, again...nice...I like this one, although it’s not too complex, despite what the label claims..labels always lie, what can you do...

silver15 (15) - USA - NOV 16, 2005
On tap. Was very surprised with this beer. So smooth and crisp. Could drink this every day. Good stuff.

duff (5484) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - NOV 16, 2005
Bottle. Lychee aroma. Crackery malt, dry mouthfeel, with a hoppy citrusy finish, felt empty and a touch stale to me. I quite like the aroma though.

Mungo (2470) - Southampton, Hampshire, ENGLAND - NOV 16, 2005
Bottle @ London Gatherying, Nov 05. Malty crystal and grapefruit aromas. Tasty and refreshing but fell somewhat short of expectations of initial sample.

tjthresh (1873) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - NOV 14, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 18, 2007 12 oz bottle. Pungent grapefruty and caramalt aroma. Hazy gold with a sticky white head. No visable carbonation. Kind of a grassy flavor. Medium body. So so beer.

maeib (8749) - Wootton, Northampton, Northamptonshire, ENGLAND - NOV 14, 2005
Bottled at the Chris_O Beer, Cheese and Curry powwow. A golden coloured beer. The aroma is nicely hoppy with some balancing sweetness. The taste is fruity citric hops. Tasty and intruigingly subtle. A little oily in the mouth but very tasty.

Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - NOV 14, 2005
Bottle courtesy of Mullman. Pours amber with decent white head. Aroma is all sweet caramel malt up front with some spicy hop/rye background. Burnt/roasted malt in the flavor. Lots of rye in the finish and aftertaste. Bready bisquit finish. Big rye belches continue for awhile.