The Bruery Batch 300 Tripel

overall
Formerly brewed at The Bruery
Style: Abbey Tripel
Placentia, California USA

RATINGS: 97   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Grant Phillips was the winner of our Batch 300 homebrew contest and rightfully so. Grant came down and helped us brew his recipe for an oaked tripel brewed with the ever so popular Citra hops.

LtDan (1806) - Los Angeles County, California, USA - AUG 13, 2011
Appearance: Pours a bright semi cloudy yellow gold with a small layer of white.

Aroma: A real time fight in my nostrils. Is it citra hops or bruery yeast? Its both.

Taste: Spicy and citrusy hops, Bruery yeast, oak tanins. Metallic bitter finish.

Mouth: Active lively bubbles full bodied, almost creamy.

Overall: I really enjoyed the added layer provided by the oak, I still am not a fan of the particular style. I think this beer will hold up for a few years, and might even become more drinkable for me as it mellows.

Hophead22 (2879) - Redlands, by way of Wisconsin,, California, USA - AUG 13, 2011
750ml bottle. Rating #16. Light hazy yellow pour. Light spice notes with a bit of zesty citrus. Flavor was a little more citrus with some nice effervescence. Good beer. (1852)

AHTOH (101) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 12, 2011
Bottle. Drank 8/12/11.

AROMA: Sharp Belgian yeast with its notes of mild spicy character and fruity esters. Lemon and herb characteristics from the Citra hops. Vanilla, and even more so with the oak aroma, are extremely faint. Faint hay notes. Faint peppery note, which I presume is also from the Citra hops.

TASTE: Belgian yeast (as on nose). Wet hay malt backbone. Notes of lemon and herb from Citra hops. Vanilla and oak seems even more subtle than on nose. Subtle hop bitterness on finish - just a tad more bitterness than more traditional tripels.

OVERALL: For some reason expected more of a Belgian IPA type beer. Though this is definitely more of a straight up tripel with faint Citra characteristics. Oak is quite subtle - much more subtle than expected - almost to the point that it is a bit difficult to discern.

Base beer seems similar to Bruery’s Mischief.

The more Belgian-ish Bruery beers I drink the more I feel like I can distinguish a specific signature characteristic from their yeast strain.

Far from an expert, though I feel the lemon and herb, and occasional peppery notes, characteristic of Citra hops just make it a good pairing beer for a variety of Italian based chicken pasta dishes.

ChazMania (669) - Oceanside, California, USA - AUG 11, 2011
Aroma is reminiscent of a saison but more sour; appearance is golden slightly cloudy with a gorgeous small froth lacing the glass. Taste is not as sweet as many other Beligian Tripel that I’m familiar with, its more on the tart and tangy end, yet thoroughly enjoyable; just not what I expected (which is nice). Palate again is tart, this is a sipper for me where I’m more accustomed to sweet(er) triples that drink faster. Yet another enjoyable beer from the awesome Bruery!

bb (9311) - Alamo, California, USA - AUG 9, 2011
Draft. Amber beer with an off-white head. Grapefruit and yeast aroma. Grapefruit and yeast flavor with tropical fruit and light earthiness. Meium bodied. Grapefruit and yeast lingers with tropical fruti and light earthiness.

Dixonian (1562) - Plano, Texas, USA - AUG 1, 2011
On tap @ The Bruery. Hazy golden pour with some fluffy white head. Aromas of citrus, oak, banana, and a nice malty backbone. Flavor is slightly sweet and bitter with citrus, spicy yeast, and wood. I would have liked this a bit more if the bitterness was toned down a bit but overall this is well done.

popery (2170) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUL 28, 2011
I enjoyed this beer thoroughly. It’s drier than a normal tripel but it works quite well. The beer is oaky and vinous with light stone fruits and tropical hop flavors. Fresh grain. Drying taste with a mildly bitter finish. I’m a fan of this take on the style.

nightrider (754) - encinitas, California, USA - JUL 28, 2011
Pour from the bottle gave a deep golden color with a modest head. Mild aromas of belgian yeast and sweetness. Medium body with some solid carbonation. Flavors are of lemon, citrus and an understated oak oak presence. Floral citra hops kick in but do not overpower the beer. Finish is pretty balanced. Decent beer.

nickd717 (4691) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUL 27, 2011
750ml bottle thanks to largadeer. Mostly clear golden in color with a one finger white head and some lacing. Very fruity with pineapple, coconut, and other tropical fruits, with oak and sweet malt. The flavor has a sweet pale malt base, oak, orange, pineapple, coconut, and citrusy hops. Medium-bodied and smooth with soft carbonation. Better than I thought this would be based on what other people said. I liked it quite a bit.

beersearcher (2382) - Glendale, California, USA - JUL 26, 2011
I really like this beer. It has the woodsy, roasty notes of the oak and the zesty lemon flavors of the citra. But they both intermingle nicely. The aroma is strong and it pours beautifully with a thick head of foam.