overall

RATINGS: 413   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 585   ABV: 19.5%
Chocolate Rain (Black Tuesday with Cocoa Nibs and Vanilla Beans)

ajnepple (7052) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 14, 2013
Sampled at GABF 2013. One my favorites from both sessions I attended. Unbelievable aroma and flavor. Lots of chocolate and vanilla sweetness hide the ABV. I must get more of this! One ounce was not nearly enough.

Dr_MedievAle (215) - Alabama, USA - OCT 13, 2013
Aroma: bourbon, loads of cocoa, roasty malts. App: dark brown body, khaki head. Taste: initial bourbon and light cocoa balance, then pow, chocolate bomb like you wouldnt believe. Sticky fudge, smooth vanilla, and a mouthfeel like the highest calibre chocolate ganache youve ever had. The only reason this isnt getting a five from me is because the aroma is--wait for it--like most other awesome barrel aged stouts. Now that I think about, that misleading aspect, making me think it was going to be like the other kids on the block, actually enhanced the mindblowing experience of its juicy chocolate load. It is like the bruery made sweet tantric love to fine chocolate, getting it to hold back its full release for a few seconds until it unloads its chocolate rain. I think I know why they call it that now. Could also easily call it Chocolate Reign.

Smurf2055 (1400) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 11, 2013
Pours black, minimal tan head. Smell boozy burnt sugar, raisins, lots of barleywine notes. Taste sweet vanilla, heat, huge heat, sweet as fuck, brownie and rum. Pretty full body. Very good.

madvike (3301) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 7, 2013
Bottle shared by CaseyK...thanks Casey! - Okay Brandon, yes I poured out my sample, and yes I gave it a shitty rating, but damn...this thing is liquid ’beetus. But yeah, I didn’t hate it. It lived up to my expectations, so I guess it is what it is. It’s dark black with a thin tan ring of head. Boozy and sharp on the nose, with dark sweet malt, overbearing sugar, vanilla and chocolate notes. The 19.5% is all present and accounted for. Taste is boozy, sharp, biting, angular. Real chocolatey, with vanilla, whiskey. Sweet and sharp--there’s nothing smooth about this beer. Sticky sweet. Thick, slick, and not carbonated. I never want this beer again. Okay, maybe I do hate it.

RobertDale (6847) - Lansing, Kansas, USA - OCT 7, 2013
750 ml. bottle. Thanks Kyle! Pours a very dark brown with a small tan head. Aroma of chocolate, caramel, bourbon, and vanilla. Taste is chocolate, caramel, bourbon, vanilla, and some dark fruit. Very warming. Need at least four people to share the bottle.

Godofthecellar (678) - NYC, New York, USA - OCT 2, 2013
Batch 1 thanks dan Smell of bourbon and vanilla, dark brown pour with a whisp of head. Flavor was predominantly vanilla, barrel character. Mouthfeel was warm..., burp flames with this mofo

jtclockwork (17264) - , New Jersey, USA - OCT 2, 2013
Bottle share. Pours black with thin off white head ring. Nose and taste of vanilla, chocolate liqueur, molten chocolate cake, chocolate syrup and charred oak. Full body. Slight bourbon chocolate burn.

fletchfighters (1573) - AUSTRALIA - SEP 29, 2013
Dark mahogany color, little to no head at all. Massive nose. Chocolate, vanilla, oak, bourbon. Really transforms into a liquor. Reminded me of frangelico crossed with a lot of chocolate. Huge and oppressive. Taste is oppressive sweetness. Sweet chocolate, sweet vanilla, just plain sweet and boozy. Feel is slick, sweet and oily. Massive sweetness. Hard to finish. Interesting beer but just 2 oz is more than enough. Props if you can drink a whole bottle of it.

cbfobes (2891) - Quad Cities, Illinois, USA - SEP 28, 2013
Bottle shared by Casey at our local tasting, thanks man! First of all, we opened this right before Bois and Brandy Bois so I’m pretty sure I have the beetus now, pours a pitch black with a tan head, the aroma is of straight chocolate and sweetness, the flavor is over powering with the chocolate on the front and the booze coming through in the finish, the abv isn’t completely hidden, and that’s to be expected with how massive it is. My favorite part of this beer was watching Matt taste it and end up dumping his own 2oz sample out and arguing with Casey about how "he didn’t hate it" We will see, we will see.

Maarten1993 (1355) - Nijmegen, NETHERLANDS - SEP 28, 2013
The beer was poured from a bottle into the glass. It looks really dark and nice. It also smells good: very complex. However, I did not like the taste. Not balanced, too sweet and it also did not taste like ’beer’ at all. The beer is also very heavy, a very dominant alcohol and sweet chocolate taste. Overall, the first impression of the beer was good but the taste is disappointing.