overall

RATINGS: 583   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 504   ABV: 16.8%
Poterie is French for pottery, the traditional eight-year anniversary gift. Our eighth anniversary ale, Poterie, follows in the footsteps of our anniversary releases before it, which are loosely based on an English-style old ale, fermented with our house yeast strain and then blended using the solera method. This means that a portion of each anniversary ale is saved in oak barrels and blended in with the next years production, providing more complexity and depth of character as the years go by. The result is layered in robust and complex flavors of toffee, caramel, dark fruit, vanilla and oak. Poterie will age gracefully for decades when cellared properly.

Editors Note: This is the entry for The Bruerys Bourbon Barrel Aged Anniversary beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ryecatcher (1364) - Bridgeport, Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 15, 2014
750mL bottle. Pours a murky, chestnut color with a medium tan head , average retention. Nose is barrel-heavy accompanied by molasses, caramel, dates, raisins, dried figs, vanilla, wet cardboard. Mouth is thick, slightly creamy and then almost syrupy; a lotta sweetness, brown sugar, vanilla, prunes, dried fruit, mild bitterness at mid-range, with ABV warmth throughout. Finishes with a slightly astringent note and (although I let this sit almost a year) also still a bit hot . Decent, but certainly not worth the price tag. A very Happy Fathers Day to all my fellow beer lovers to whom it applies.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
WVBrU (61) - - JUN 14, 2014
Wow! This beer smells of a bourbon barrel with notes of caramel. It has a cloudy dark amber color. The beer is very malty with no noticeable hops. As expected , there is an alcoholic taste but it is silky smooth. It ends with a caramel note. The mouthfeel is thick with soft carbonation.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
cernjoh (183) - Ohio, USA - JUN 6, 2014
Poured from a 2014 Bottle of Sucre obtained from the Bruery 16.5% abv. This needs to be separated from Bois. Aroma is sweet caramel, toffee, bourbon, and vanilla ... taste follows suite with a high sweetness level but not overbearing for me at least. Palate is smooth. Overall .. fabulous. :)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
radagast83 (7515) - Alexandria, Virginia, USA - MAY 30, 2014
Had this on tap at Churchkey, thanks to Donnie! Alias was Sucr (Bourbon Barrel Aged). Poured a very dark brown color with a small tan head. Aroma was smooth vanilla notes, sweet bourbon character, some dried dark fruits. Maple notes. Smooth vanilla. Bourbon. Smooth. Crazy good, but a few ounces is certainly enough here.

devman171 (1221) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - MAY 28, 2014
UPDATED: JUL 22, 2015 Fresh Sucre Draft pours reddish brown with tan head. Aroma is big sweet malt and oak bourbon. Taste is big boozy sweet malt with a bit of oxidized dry bitter hops and slight tart on the finish. Cuirve Murky brown pour. no/low head. aroma is big sweet raisins and booze. taste is similar, lots of figs and dates and then finished with a smooth bourbon and oak.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Bulk_Carrier (4113) - Lake Champlain, Vermont, USA - MAY 26, 2014
Disclaimer: for a long time, I was actually slightly skeptical of this brewery, however, today, I cracked this old ale for the unofficial day of Summer over my fire pit and I think I was more than enthralled. I couldnt find a date, however, I did buy this last Autumn of 2013. I poured this into a snifter. Gee Weez, $30 at Breeze In, Juneau, AK, is that how it always is every where else or is it typical Southeast Alaska pricing? Hmmm... well here goes. The appearance was a super nice dark brown close to black color with a slightly half finger white to off white foamy head that concaves and leaves barely anything in the center of the brew. Holy Be-jeebers, actually, I believe I liked this show. The smell, whoah, how the hell do I explain this one. Okay, its a sort of a cherry to almond to oaky/woodiness and then leading onto a slightly vanilla sort of aroma all delicately packed together and inviting me towards a finer quality of leading me on and into the night of Memorial Day. The taste is sweet and oaky/woody and it leaves a fairly sweet vanilla-like quality of an aftertaste and then ends up leading to a semi-dry yet sweet but not watery finish. I say that because theres something I had about this beer that seemed to show a fairly watery finish. No worries. On the palate, it sits about a medium to heavy on the body and shows a decent sessionable quality running about the mouth and tongue. The carbonation is decent for the Old Ale style and good for me as theres just enough harshness pervading the tongue but not overbearing. Overall, in my opinion, this is actually an exceptionally well done Old Ale that I would more than worthy welcome again. Is it up there with Smuttynoses Really Old Brown Dog Ale, which is actually one the best that Ive tried to this date? Hmmm...well, to pay $30 to have this again, or ask for a Really Old Brown Dog Ale. Ill take Smuttynoses even though I havent had that in a super long time. Personally, though Im glad I tried this, the prices of this brewerys beers need to be brought down. Im not sure who these brewers think they are in this brewery. But hey, Im glad I tried it, but I will never pay $30 for this ever again!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ryanfolty (2426) - Bourbon County, Minnesota, USA - MAY 25, 2014
May 25, 2014 - bottle from the source. Brown pour with some head. Aroma was nice balance of wood, caramel, dark fruit, bourbon and malt. Taste was consistent with aroma and had a hot bourbon and spicy finish. Medium to full body and smooth.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
fcjack1 (265) - Washington, USA - MAY 25, 2014
On tap at the Red Hot. Cloudy brown color. No head. Scent is all booze. Taste is really sweet. Then the bourbon hits you. Then the alcohol. Really good beer. Would love to try one a year from now.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
solidfunk (7881) - Washington D.C., Washington DC, USA - MAY 23, 2014
Very nice. Barrels are very well integrated even though theres a billion of them. Pours cloudy dark maroon with some hops. Nice sugary malt, good texture. Elements well blended. Caramelized malt. Finishes light sour with some sweetness. Thick on palate. I dont usually like these super sweet, syrupy sugar bombs but this one is nice. Tap at Churchkey.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BrewGoblin (632) - Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, CANADA - MAY 19, 2014
I really wanted to fall in love with this one. I am not sure if it the lines were clean and I only got to try it once and not bottled. The flavour just lacked the depth and the layers I was hoping for. It looks fairly disgusting compared to most beers but that intrigued me and made me want to try it even more. Stirred-up swamp-water brown filled my cup with a wisp of a head. Thought this would feel like it looked, thick and sludgy but instead it seemed fairly thin. Leather, decaying wood and some burnt brown sugar flavours. It wasnt bad, just felt watered down in flavour and mouthfeel. I want to try this again from the bottle sometime.