The Bruery Provisions Series: Salt of the Earth

overall
RATINGS: 119   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Salt of the Earth is our play on a gose. Not to be confused with a gueze, the gose style originated in Leipzig, Germany. It is a wheat beer traditionally brewed with salt and coriander as well as lactic bacteria. Clearly not following the Reinheitsgebot, we figured we’d knock it up a level by using an addition of truffle salt in our gose, adding an earthy and funky element to the aroma and flavor certain to tantalize all of the foodies out there.

FlacoAlto (4220) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JUL 6, 2011
Settled only for a few days, so a steady pour into my large Tripel Karmeliet tulip produces an ample four-finger thick, pale head. The beer is a very hazy, pale amber color that shows a deeply hazed pale straw color in the light. The beer smells of earthy coriander, touches of accentuating earthy yeast, lactic acid, dried grass and dried hay. In the finish there is a significant woody white pepper note, or perhaps even a touch like Elderflower. There is a significant pale grain character here that reminds me of fresh threshed wheat and whole grain pale crackers.

The beer is salty up front, and actually through to the finish. Towards the middle and in the finish a soft lactic acid character becomes noticeable. The finish has a sort of hot phenolic plastic like character to it that is not overwhelming, but definitely a touch intruding. The saltiness is not overwhelming here, but definitely contributes something else; actually not having known at all about the style, I might not have really recognized the flavor in the beer. The flavor is quite earthy, both the coriander character and a yeasty bite contribute to this; actually I wonder how much of this will be reduced once I have a bottle thant has been allowed to settle out / clear up for quite some time. There is a doughy flavor to this beer that is definitely wheat like, perhaps a touch on the cracker side and definitely yeasty. That is what that is, it took me a while, but the truffle portion of the salt really is what gives this beer that earthy edge; at times it can contribute a touch of a savory quality, but for the most part it adds a bit of unbalance to this beer (both in the nose and in the flavor). The beer is fairly light bodied, though not watery, it is quite quaffable, with just a touch of texture to it.

The salt / tart balance here is actually pretty nice, I was expecting something a bit more salty, but I am not sure I would have liked this beer if it was more salty. The truffle character is quite a bit more apparent in the nose than it is in the flavor; my wife thinks it makes this beer taste like a rubber-ball. This could actually use quite a bit more tart to it. All in all this was certainly interesting, but I get the feeling that it could have been executed quite a bit better; the balance between the flavors doesn’t quite seem to be here.

pacond (190) - Muncie, Indiana, USA - JUL 3, 2011
Light citrus and coriander notes. It is dry and earthy along with a lot of carbonation that balances with a savory finish. This is like a savory wit beer.

DavoleBomb (1867) - Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 28, 2011
Poured into a weizen glass. This is my first gose so I don’t really know what to expect. Big pop when I opened the bottle. First pour yielded a half a foot of head with a half inch of beer. 3.5 A: Eventually I got enough beer. Lightly hazed dark yellow color. Four fingers of foamy white head with pretty good retention and some spotty lacing. 4.0 S: Never really smelled anything like this. It’s quite strange to me, but I like it. Wheatiness is apparent and the yeast gives off strong banana and a mild clove. Mild to moderate coriander as well. The strangly "sharp" earthiness is likely attributed to the truffle salt. Lemon and grassy hops. 3.5 T: Definitely tasting the salt in this. It’s a good bit stronger than I might have guessed, but not distractingly so. Wheat, banana, clove, herbal and grassy hoppiness, and tart lemon. Truffle salt is quite interesting. 3.5 M: Light body. Despite the multitude of pours, the carbonation is spot on. Bready chewiness. 3.0 D: I’m wasn’t sure how to rate this, so this is my baseline gose. Not bad to start out with, but this is horribly undrinkable. The saltiness and general mineral vibe gets old pretty fast. Finishing this 750 is going to be hard. Edit: Yes, it is hard to finish this. I’m doing my best to avoid my first drainpour. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 06-26-2011 23:06:44

beerguy101 (5364) - Newark, California, USA - JUN 26, 2011
Sampled on 6/25/2011. This traditional ale/gose pours a slightly hazy yellow gold color from a 750ml bottle. Large sized frothy foamy off white head, with long lasting retention and nice lacing. The aroma is herbal, salt, fruity, wheat and sweet. A medium bodied gose. The malts are cereal, fruity and sweet. The hops are herbal and spicy. Very lively carbonation. The truffle salt is very evident in this beer, adds a nice touch of herbal flavors. Finish is fairly dry and nicely crisp. The salt takes a little getting used to, but it works well in this beer. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean, crisp and dry. Aftertaste is slightly bitter and a touch salty.

nickd717 (4886) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUN 24, 2011
750ml bottle from The Bruery. Pours hazy golden with a nice lasting white-yellow head. Musty earthy and salty with a slight hint of truffles actually. Nice. The flavor also has truffle salt, and a decent amount of it at that. Very earthy with champagne and coriander notes. Lively carbonation and medium body with a salty drying note. Pretty good overall. Rather unique, but fitting in the gose style.

JohnnyJ (5569) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 20, 2011
Bottle. Light gold pour, with a white head. Light fruit, grain, lemon, coriander, lightly spiced, and with some saltiness. Overall dry, light, and drinkable despite it’s oddities.

nightrider (754) - encinitas, California, USA - JUN 19, 2011
Tasted from the bottle. Light yellow golden in color with a pure white head. Aromas waft of some citrus , spice, and funk. Medium to light bodied beer. Initial flavors are some mildly tart lemon. pepper and herbs. Mid way to the back of the palate is where you get a dash of salt and a pretty decent one at that. The finish is good and lasting. Liked this beer but could have toned down the salt presence in my opinion.

hopdog (13102) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 17, 2011
On tap at the Bruery Provisions. Poured a lighter and hazy yellow color with a larger sized white head. Aromas of lots of spices, coriander, pepper, with some citrus. Tastes of the same spices, and citrus rinds.

hbmason (1086) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - JUN 2, 2011
750 ml bottle. a nice golden color with a thick white head. the corriander comes through thick. A nice refreshing german style beer.

NobleSquirrel (3439) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 18, 2011
Bottle from thome50, thanks! Pours a hazy white gold with a sticky head that persists. First things that hit the nose are the citrusy and fresh coriander along with the earthiness from the truffle. I was a bit skeptical of having such a savory component, but it works. Citrus really tends to dominate here, not a lot of lacto coming through in the nose. On taste, the salt and tartness are really subdued. I would expect more acidity here. Comes off like a very well made witbier with some saline components. the earthiness of the truffle works as wel. Solid, but not really what I expected. Will have to try again soon...