overall
RATINGS: 654   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Tart of Darkness is a traditional stout that we aged in used oak barrels from The Bruery that had previously housed beers such as Cuivre™ or Black Tuesday®. We then brought them over to Bruery Terreux, added our special blend of souring bacterias and wild yeasts and watched nature take its course. The result is a perfectly tart yet awesomely dark and roasty, sour stout. Not a style you will see very often, and in our opinion, not a style seen often enough. This unique stout has notes of tart plums, roasted coffee, vanilla and oak.

Crompt (122) - York, South Carolina, USA - MAR 3, 2014
Brought this to share with my favorite brother and krompt. Favorite brother could only drink a sip so had to settle with drinking the rest with krompt. I like sours and I love stouts but I do not like sour stouts. Didn’t work for me and extremely pricey.

Gerbeer (3844) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 2, 2014
750 ml bottle. Pour a very dark brown with light head that dissipates quickly. Aromas of balsamic vinegar. Flavors of vinegar and green wood. Only a hint of stout left to appreciate. A good salad dressing but not much of a beer.

Scopey (15261) - Croydon, Greater London, ENGLAND - FEB 26, 2014
Bottle at home, picked up at Tomlinson’s, Inverness. It pours near black with a quickly dissipating light tan head. The nose is oak, roasted malt, chocolate, vanilla, coconut and lactose. The taste is tart, roasty, acidic, lactic, oak, cherry skin, plum skin, red grape, toast, light vanilla, sherbet and Granny Smith apple with a dry, tart finish. Medium body and fine, prickly carbonation. A Jekyll & Hyde sort of beer....tame oaky/roasty nose, then acidic and tart in the mouth-hole. Interesting stuff for sure, but I doubt I would drink too much of this, as it’s fairly acidic.

Jayb0 (1212) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - FEB 25, 2014
Quite tart/sour, in the vein of Rodenbach or La Folie. Still, a richness comes through and it paired well with the grilled spiced beef we were eating.

Inbreak (6315) - Loddefjord, NORWAY - FEB 22, 2014
16.02.2014, 0,75l bottle shared with Palme, Sigmund & bergstaden @ Café Sara:
Small slightly brown bubbly shortlasting head. Aroma is slightly sour-ish, mild vinegar, sour dark berries, sorrel, oak, dark malts, grass, hints of paint. Taste is acidic sour, lemon, vinegar, sorrel, soda powder, oak, citrus peel, raw rhubarb. Nice acidic mouthfeel in the berlinerweisse style. Very nice!

Bulk_Carrier (6065) - Vermont, USA - FEB 21, 2014
The pour is a dark brown hinging on close to a black color that ends up leaving a black colored body. There is a one finger white foamy head that doesn’t cling and doesn’t have any lacing. The smell is super funky tart and sour up front with some light roasty sidenotes try to make their way forward but really don’t. It ends up becoming somewhat vinous in the rest of the aroma. The taste is sour and tart yet the roasty sidenotes come in to assist but makes me pucker alot. There is a super strong sour aftertaste with a quick dry sour and tart finish. On the palate, she sits about a medium on the body with not much of a sessionability quality as it shows that it wants to be a sipper. Carbonation is fairly smooth. Overall, this is exactly what The Bruery wanted as it says on their label, a "sour stout aged in oak barrels." For me, I guess I’m glad I tried it, but for the most part, just too expensive to have again. Wine lovers that wish to try more beers this one is for you.

Sammy (12491) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 17, 2014
A good sourness, without being over the top. At colder temperature, was only light roast. Very good cherry taste. Closer to room temp, Still moderate and balancing the sour.

Arthree (50) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - FEB 16, 2014
750mL bottle from Sherbrooke. 2013 edition. Pours an opaque black with a minimal head which turns into a white ring. Not much carbonation. Smells sour. Really sour. Dry white wine, a hint of bubblegum. Taste is very similar, but in the opposite order. I puckered. This one is reeeeeaally sour. Starts off with a bit of bubblegum sweetness and gets very sour very quickly. What roast flavour there is gets overpowered by the sourness almost entirely. White wine, sour raspberries, sour apple. The sour bite ends as soon as I swallow but never goes away completely. Medium body with a bit of fizz on the tongue. Astringent, slightly sticky. Overall, it was far more sour and far less roasty than I was expecting. This is a real sipper. If you get a chance to try it, do so. But I think 1 bottle is enough for me for a while.

RuneStumo (2691) - Haugesund, NORWAY - FEB 14, 2014
13.02.2014. 0,75 l bottle kindly shared by gunnar at Schouskjelleren. Dark brown colour with white head. Very fresh sour beer. Fruity with very fresh flavours.

abemorsten (3650) - Mosterøy, NORWAY - FEB 14, 2014
0,75 l bottle kindly shared by gunnar at Schouskjelleren. Pours a clear deep mahogany body with a white rim. Prunes, dried fruits, barrel notes and sour tones on the nose. Sour fruits almost like a pop fizz, flavors reminds me of raspberry reduction. Medium body. Tart. Mellow finish.