overall
RATINGS: 558   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
The Duck-Rabbit Barelywine is the hoppiest of all the Duck-Rabbit brews. This is a Farmville-style Barleywine, crafted the way brewers in Farmville have always done. Loads of Amarillo hops give a piney citrusy bitterness that’s supported beautifully by a toffee malt backbone. ABV: 11.0%

tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - JAN 22, 2007
Bottle. Pours brilliant garnet with a big khaki head. The aroma is very strong with peppercorn and clove, along with notes of toffee, and hints of roasty coffee and subtle alcohol. The flavor is spicy with peppercorn, clove, and anise. In the middle of the mouth it moves toward a warm, sweet flavor reminiscent of buckwheat honey and raisin cookies. The finish has a slight roastiness to it and a grapefruit zest tang. It leaves a pleasantly ashy aftertaste which fades away before too long. This is some tasty stuff.

jason (1834) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 20, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2008 Bottle thanks to Rayg1, thanks man. This poured a clear amber body with a good size head. Looked great in a snifter with a nice head retention. Aroma is very sweet and hoppy with a notice of yeast in there, reminded me in aroma of a belgian ale(odd?). Anyway the taste was very sweet with notes of hops, caramel, apples, and slight citrus undertone. Smooth but a light mouthfeel for a barleywine. Update: Too odd of a barleywine.

goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - JAN 20, 2007
Blind tasting of 19 BWs. A very nice looking barleywine this beer was a glowing clear ruby cooper color with frothy white head. The aroma had a nice toasty caramel nose with a good amount of citrus and piney hops to give a great balance to the sweetness. The sweet fruity malt flavor had a candy like quality with a good amount of hop flavor and bitterness backbone to give the balance to the beer. This is a very nice full-bodied example of a barleywine.

GG (2332) - NorCal, California, USA - JAN 20, 2007
NorCal tasting Jan 07 - The 5th and final Duck Rabbit beer, and I was sort of sad to see this come. Not only did it mean I had no more Duck Rabbit beer but it meant the tasting was about over. An aroma sweet caramel, fruity, and floral. Flavor profile had burnt sugar, dark fruits, some piney hops with a sticky mouthfeel that was slightly unpleasant.

NachlamSie (3536) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JAN 16, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 27, 2007 The first time I had this brew, I was heavily intoxicated and completely amazed by this beer. I’m revisiting this ale on a sober palate tonight and out in the freezing weather for optimum big beer conditions. I poured the beer at room temperature to reveal a deep, muddy-ruby body with a foamy, tan head. The aroma is slightly tart with melon, caramel, cherry, and a bit of bubblegum. It actually smells more balanced as the brew cools down a few degrees. The flavor brings out a bit more intricacies. It is definitely a sweet, fruity beer. It lacks the heartiness of the other DR seasonal releases, but it’s still a moderately robust quaff. The finish hints at a Belgian type of flavor, a tiny bit of nutmeg and bubblegum. The most noteable flavors are that of really sweet fruits, strawberries. . .and maraschinos come to mind. So, this wasn’t as mind-blowing as I first experienced it in my drunken stupor, but it is a pretty decent beer. I wasn’t sure what to expect from this being that it’s supposedly based on their regular amber ale which is definitely my least favorite brew from this spectacular brewery. A few of the weird fruity notes in that amber ale do make themselves known here. (Feb 27 , ’07) - I’m drinking this again and I still agree with all my prior notes, but I’d like to add that this time I detected a piny hop presence in the nose in particular, and also slightly in the flavor. This could’ve been more noticeable since I had two stouts prior to this, both with very low hop aroma or flavor. But, this barleywine definitely has a detectable pine presence.

punkrkr27 (903) - Berkley, Michigan, USA - JAN 16, 2007
Bottle thanks to ross. Ruby-copper pour with a nice head that unfortunately faded all to quickly. Malty aroma that’s floral, citrusy and cloying, bit of sour cherry. Very odd aroma for this style of beer. Flavor is also very cloying, more sour cherry and citrus. I think unfortunately I got a bad bottle because this brewery has made some other excellent brews and this just seems too far off to be intentional.

ryan (3186) - Beltsville, Maryland, USA - JAN 15, 2007
Clear, filtered, dark pale body with a small off-white head. The aroma is herbal, floral, citrus, very hoppy and light caramel. The flavor is very sweet, with lots of herbal and menthol, to the point of being unbearably medicinal. Medium body, light and fizzy. This was one of the worst beers I have ever tasted. I really hope this was just a bad bottle. I’m giving it a 5 as the overall score just because I’m a nice guy. My gut instinct is to give it a 1 because I literally couldn’t drink this beer.

drewbeerme (3920) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 14, 2007
12oz bottle, best before 12/07. thanks to JCB for this. poured into my new koningshoeven snifter (thanks to jimbowood for this glass in a trade). my first bottle of this had very noticible infection (adhesive strips) in aroma and flavor which was confirmed by holdenn, but this bottle has no traces of that. thanks to JCB and Ross for checking their bottles for this as well. possibly a bad bottle or in just some of the bottles. beware? wow 5 shout-outs in 1 rating! a new record for me. now onto the beer...pours a deep mahogony with nice head. aroma has loads of caramel and brown sugar, some undertones of dates, cotton candy, maple syrup. smells like freshly baked brown sugar caramel-chip cookies(that’s a real cookie right?). mouthfeel is fizzy and sorta sticky. hop flavor is very piney but this is not a typical bitter "american" style barleywine. flavor is also rather earthy, with a burnt caramelness to it, close to being too sweet but not syrupy, some smoke in there and finishes with some sweet orange. alcohol seems well hidden. i think the excessive use of brown sugar is what’s turning me off the most. the first 3 ounces were uncomfortable, after that the beer becomes rather enjoyable. not the finest example of the style but also not the typical BW so props to that.

Juelze (1146) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 13, 2007
UPDATED: APR 4, 2008 Trade with Ross, thanks. Pours an amber color with nice white head that fades quickly. Aroma of brown sugar, caramel, slight notes of hops. Taste is very sweet caramel malt with mild citrus hops. This barleywine is too sweet and syrupy. It does hide the alcohol very well, but is too one sided. **Re-rate after a year** Wow, this is a lot better then when I first had it. Similar to Mikeller Big Worse. Lots of fruit and caramel with the alcohol subdued. Not like the average barleywine, but enjoyable.

cbkschubert (2901) - BFE, Arizona, USA - JAN 12, 2007
12 oz. bottle via trade with Ty5592 - Pours a clear deep amber color with a one finger thick off white head. Nice lacing. Has a floral, resin hop and light brown sugar aroma. Has a very sweet caramel malt flavor with some light dark esters. Medium to fully body. Alcohol is well hidden. Very nice beer. Thanks Ty.