overall
Style: Old Ale
Masham, England

RATINGS: 1448   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57/5   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Bottle: Filtered.
Abv reduced from 5.7 to 5.6 in 2010.

"The Legend". Brewed using a generous blend of finest pale, crystal and roasted barley malts, along with the majestic Fuggle hop, to create a wonderful, full-bodied flavour with subtle banana, cherry and rich fruit overtones.

A peculier tale:
Theakston’s most famous ale takes its name from the seal of the Peculier Court of Masham, which was granted back in the 12th century. It was the custom at the time for the church to administer the law, but this proved too arduous a task for the then Archbishop, who was based in York. So, with due archiepiscopal aplomb, he set up the independent Peculier Court, headed up by the Peculier of Masham.

21iceman40 (1735) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 30, 2001
Love the name. I was also impressed by the body and flavor of this brew. It was dark and I usually don't like that but this one was good.

K-V-F-L (291) - LaVista, Nebraska, USA - AUG 30, 2001
The archetype for the 'old ale' style, although I'm sure more characterful examples are hidden in pubs all over England, out of the reach of us Yanks. Drink this cold, as its fruitiness becomes slightly salty as it warms. Raisin and onion. Hmmm.... Good, but I wouldn't want more than one at a time.

Jake Barnes (456) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - AUG 25, 2001
Onion soup? I didn't see that here. Just a great fruit/wine characteristic that I really enjoyed. Vaguely reminded me of Trois Pistoles.

ravidesai (979) - Bombay, INDIA - AUG 22, 2001
this is the classic english old ale.

very flavorful stuff. Something like a cross between a brown ale 7 a brandywine

fishman (350) - Philadelphia, USA - AUG 15, 2001
Peculier, looked great but on whiff and it was all over. As delbomber said, it smells like onion powder or soup mix. The mouthfeel was surprisingly light and the flavor was slightly yeasty. Not a happy experience. I was hoping for better.

Delbomber (387) - Philadelphia, USA - AUG 15, 2001
Ugh, smells like Lipton onion soup mix. Dark brown and light bodied with an odd onion powder and yeast flavor. Hop presence, but I really didn't care to search for any other characteristcs, as I got rid of this as quickly as possible.

stevet99 (2) - reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA - AUG 10, 2001 does not count
Great taste. No bitter taste and doesn't leave anything unpleasant on your palate. Slightly sweet. Filling.

waddlcoop (6) - USA - AUG 3, 2001 does not count
one of the best all around beers ou there. ITs good anytime. Roasty hints and sweet caramelly notes. Yes I'll have another.

npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - JUL 26, 2001
Really nice and mellow. Didn't note any fruitiness, really. More of a chocolatey taste, with a buttery palate. A pleasure to drink, but I think one's enough.

Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - MAY 19, 2001
Nice rounded malt flavors, certainly a brew to cozy up with next to a fire.