overall

RATINGS: 1609   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.94/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
A barley wine with deep amber color, the brandy of ales. This beer has vintage character and will mature in the bottle at cellar temperature for years.

wnhay (722) - Princeton, New Jersey, USA - FEB 26, 2005
UPDATED: APR 27, 2005 This is one of the best Barley Wines I have tried. Pours a very dark brown with a head similar to the Ale Smith Old Numbskull. The aroma is complex consisting of vanilla, oak, malts, caramel, hops, and dark fruits. The hops are very present in the taste making it a little too bitter for my taste. It is quite a good beer and I will certainly get more of it.

SuIIy (1984) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - FEB 25, 2005
Looks great, tastes great. pours like syrup. sticks to your mouth in between sips.

Odeed (1806) - Bakersfield, California, USA - FEB 24, 2005
sent to me by way of doclock.pourd a rusty red/brown witha creamy off white head.i could smell a mixture of cotton candy,brandy,grapefruit,and caramel.the mouthfeel was smooth and well balanced with just a bit of alcohol bite.the flavor was much of the same as the smell.this is a very smooth and fruity barleywine.top notch stuff.

Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - FEB 24, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2007 DAMN YOU DUANE! You sent me a beer mail about drinking the bells you sent me, and I was planning on cellaring this bad boy. I m sure it would have improved. Deep dark brown/red. Small head. I smelled a sour malty aroma. Taste was strong. pronounced alcohol, then some maple syrup and a tail of sweet hops. This was good, but it would have been much better had I cellared this, ah, peer pressure.
ahh, drinking an aged one now, real good stuff

brentfeesh (1216) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - FEB 24, 2005
Lucky me! I got to have this tasty brew on tap a the Brew Kettle. Only had a taster though, so not the best glass for a beer tasting. Never the less, I was impressed with this one. Poured a hazy brown with orange and red hints. The aroma was honey, molasses, and loads of malt. The taste was syrupy malt, molasses, and some piney hops that last thru to the finish (with significant molasses carrying it along). The body was full and sufficient to carry the flavors. Nice and warm with alcohol but very well integrated. Most interesting and enjoyable.

Doppelganger (1389) - Dry County, Arkansas, USA - FEB 23, 2005
Pours amber-red with a modest amount of light tan head. Pastry, toffee, butter, rum and some plum fruit. Tastes of carmel and toffee, with some astringency in the initial taste, but then big smooth mouthfilling sweetness. Not enough hop presense to keep the sweetness from quickly becoming tiresome though, and pretty soon, that’s all I can taste. This seems like the perfect candidate for a year or two of cellaring. Very big and mostly good at this point, but I can imagine it being fantastic after some of the "green" has aged out.

Brad (363) - Berkley, Michigan, USA - FEB 23, 2005
Deep brick red cloudy color with little to no head on the pour. Cracked pepper sized sediment floating throughout the beer and left in the bottom of the bottle. Strong aroma of sweet malt, especially caramel. Full flavor of caramel and some nutty characteristics blended with malty goodness. Aftertaste hangs in your mouth until your next sip.

kujo9 (1095) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - FEB 18, 2005
On tap @ Brew Kettle Ogrefest, 10 oz snifter: Slightly hazy dark amber w/ a thin white head. Citrusy grapefruit hop aroma w/ some lightly solventy alcohol; some toasty and bready malts w/ some sweet caramel. Moderate fruity esters and slight hints of roast and raisiny aroma. Well balanced, surprisingly more so than the bottle versions I’ve had. Malt up front with a bready flavor, but finishes semi sweet w/ a citrusy hop that starts mid palate and goes into the aftertaste. High citrusy grapefruit flavor as well throughout, but well balanced w/ malt flavors. Fuller body, lower carbonation level, well hidden alcohol, and a bit of a dry m/f. Definitely more well balanced and drinkable than the bottled version which made it really enjoyable.

DrnkMcDermott (3159) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - FEB 17, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 11, 2006 Bottle: Undated, but bought at Bell’s Oct. 2004. Tasted Feb. ’05. Deep brown color, under a thin head. Everything about its appearance screams malts MALTS MALTS. Couldn’t pick up much besides a wonderfully sweet malt taste, slightly nutty, with pinprick effervesence. Alcohol warmth slowly builds to a nice burn before you find the temerance of a northwestern (?) hop bill: bitter and just slightly piney. I’m presuming this is a very young bottle, so I will have get some for cellaring later. Finishes up with a nice malty coating on the tongue.
Draft sample 12/2/06, on tap at the Eccentric. Light ale color as barley wines go. Murky brown color, a thin persistent head. Slight sugar note in taste. Good alcohol warmth, a modest hop balance. I took notes on this tasting because it was just listed on the menu as "Old Ale," but I’m sure it’s this one here. Even though my impressions are different than my original, and my naumbers are 8-4-8-4-17, it still adds up to my original total score of 4.1.

SpudClampDawg (1029) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - FEB 15, 2005
Candy cherry aroma with hints of both apple and fruit juices. Thick liquid with semi-sweet chocolate malts dominating the flavor. Both cherry and alcohol are present as well. Some other heavy sweetness - honey? Again, Barleywine isn’t necessarily my favorite style, but I can sure appreciate the levels of complexity in this brew.