overall

RATINGS: 1607   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.94/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
A barley wine with deep amber color, the brandy of ales. This beer has vintage character and will mature in the bottle at cellar temperature for years.

Sammy (12769) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 13, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 2, 2010 Hopped up with Cookie dough, mint, rum, dates and fig, ice cream mouthfeel.. Complex real flavours and overcomes alcohol.

atpayne (615) - Zionsville, Indiana, USA - JUN 9, 2004
Unaged. Brownish orange around the edges with a nice off white head. There is a full barley wine type aroma. Very malty with dark fruit smells. It smells full. There is a heavy malt character and a very warming feeling. A pine hop flavor pervades making this a very nice beer.

snowtiger (107) - Brighton, Colorado, USA - JUN 9, 2004
Deep mahogany slightly cloudy appearance with big bubble amber head. Intensley maly aroma with sherry and plum notes. Ohhhh, deeply malty flavor with enough hops to back it up. Big, powerful, elegant beer. More of an Old Ale to me but still top notch.

mkobes (2142) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - JUN 4, 2004
Reddish brown in color. Carmelly and hoppy aroma.Rich malt in the flavor. Enjoyable. Smooth with a bitter finish.

mardermax (71) - santa cruz, California, USA - JUN 3, 2004
12 oz bottle. really great barley wine. poured a cloudy maroon brown with a nice caramely creamy head. smells raosty, fruity and hoopy. smooth, slightly fizzy mouthfeel. tastes hoppy, with some roasty coffe notes. a great beer.

MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - JUN 2, 2004
Redish brown with lots of floaties and a yellowish greenish head. Carmelly hoppy fruity aroma. Rich thick malt, with a large carmel component. lots of hops in the flavor and a long, bitter finish. Remind’s me of a poor man’s Double Bastard.

JCapriotti (1379) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 23, 2004
Mmmm... small fizzy head with a dark red/mahogany body. A bit yeasty at the bottom. Aroma is full of dark fruit, bubblegum, brown sugar, brandy, and chocolate. Taste and body are very both good, but seem to be missing something to be perfect. It is slightly hoppy with some sweet brown sugar, dark fruit, and pineapple. Bitter wood finish with some cherry hints. Its slightly syrupy, but not as much as I’d like it to be. This was very good, but I guess I wanted perfection.

pexoo (17) - Avon Lake, Ohio, USA - MAY 14, 2004
I wasn’t expecting such a strong beer, but it was a pleasant surprise. It has a sweet, heavy flavor and aftertaste. Never having had a barley wine, it was a nice treat.

CapFlu (5132) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 11, 2004
(Bottle) I should have done my research - I thought this was going to be an ALE - now I must begin drinking this barleywine at 11:15pm on a weeknight. Bad on me! Pours a huge, creamy, beige head and a cloudy, sediment-filled, reddish body. Nose of sweet, caramel malt and strong hops. Pleasant oily lacing on the snifter. Very hoppy flavour (Young brew of November 2003) with a sharp tartness through the mid-palate. Mellowing sour hoppiness through the finish. Very good but would have liked to have cellared this longer. Thanks to Raindog for the trade!

austinpowers (2831) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAY 8, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 20, 2004 A whopping strong barleywine that snuck up on me cuz I thought I was opening an altbier. But one sip and you know you’ve got a barleywine (not my favorite style, so I’ll try to be objective. Mega-hoppy and heavily carbonated for a barleywine. Some toffee, and caramel malt flavors. Acidic hops in the aftertaste. Touch of alcohol in the aftertaste as well. Perhaps this could be improved by more sweetness. Thanks to a generous fellow RateBeerian for the brew.