overall
RATINGS: 75   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Conduplico Immundus Monachus, an imperial version of Dirty Monk marked the beginning of what we have come to call our “Atypical Series,” a series a beers that will be wholly unique, but still incredibly delicious.

branlovesbeer's rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
branlovesbeer (14) - South Carolina, USA - MAR 18, 2012
I tried this from a growler. I live in Greenville, SC so it was fresh from the brewery that morning at the local Beer and Wine growler fill location. The brewery is right up the road from my house. Appearance: It was nearly black. Lots of carbonation. But the head was thin and dissipated fairly quickly which was expected with the 10% ABV that this beer has. It was a beautiful beer to look at. Smell: At the front were strong chocolate notes. Tobacco notes, medium Belgiany aroma. Some prune and date aroma. Hop presence was mild. There was a hint of some mild bitterness. Definitely nothing like the supposed younger brother of the "Dirty Monk" who’s flavor and aroma would be comparable to a medium to strong dark IPA and also one of my favorite beers ever. Taste: First impression was champagne. The effervescence was the first thing I noticed. It strongly tickled my tongue. The sweetness was the 2nd thing I noticed. This is very similar in sweetness to Stone’s Barley Wine. Again, nothing like "Dirty Monk." My feeling is that it is way too sweet. It’s sweet but dry. The Belgiany flavor definitely comes across. The alcohol is not prevalent in the taste but certainly warms as it goes down. The chocolate flavor tastes almost like real chocolate, but the sweetness was also as strong. Mouthfeel: It was actually a fairly thin mouthfeel. I think the effervescence was at fault here. I was expecting this to have a chewier mouthfeel but it seemed very thin. Verdict: After looking at it and smelling this beer, I was expecting a much more appetizing beer. I have been licking my chops trying to find an affordable bottle of this beer, and finally I found the 64oz growler fill for $9 bucks. I was not ready for a barley wine. It is not advertised as a barley wine, but that is certainly what it tastes like. Every barley wine I’ve ever tasted, this is definitely a relative of of that style. I find that it is no way related to the "Dirty Monk" except for having Belgian in the name of the style. If you’re looking for a barley wine, then this would be a good choice for you. But if you’re looking for a higher ABV of the "Dirty Monk" then you will be sorely disappointed. Overall, it’s an okay beer. But it’s taking me a while to drink this. I can usually get through a growler on my own in a couple days drinking a 12ozer, or more, at a time, no matter the abv. I’ve had high ABV imperial IPA’s and polished off a growler in one sitting, but I’m drinking this 6oz at a time because that’s about all I can handle of it. But in the spirit of full disclosure, I like hoppy beers and bitter wines. I’m not a fan of sweet beers or sweet wines. But I think what turns me off the most with this beer is that it is billed as higher ABV of "Dirty Monk" and it ended up being the farthest thing from it.

Bacchus66 (393) - South Carolina, USA - JUL 23, 2017
From tap at ADT. Clear reddish-brown with minimal head. Chocolate, roasty nose. Flavors are rich cocoa, burnt sugar, sweet roast malt. Luscious finish with some alcohol warmth. Really nice.

drfabulous (7952) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - SEP 24, 2016
750 ml bottle. Some dark chocolate notes but little carbonation and light mouthfeel.

Goodgrief (2028) - Middletown, Delaware, USA - AUG 15, 2016
Not much to add on the other comments. On tap at Pinocchios. Boozy nose. Boozy dark fruits with hints of cocoa and a bit of yeastiness. Good but not great.

hopdog (12584) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 13, 2016
On tap. Poured a black color with a small sized tan head. Roast, some dark fruits, chocolate, and some coffee.

DocLock (10706) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 26, 2016
750 cc from Whole Foods PM. Pours hazy blackish with minimal tan head. Nose is roasty, slightly charred dark malt, cacao, hops. Tastes malty, with cacao, hops, some dark fruit, and some late yeasty notes.

drowland (8766) - Georgia, USA - MAR 25, 2016
3/26/16. Technically. To me, I guess it’s still 3/25, so to speak, but it’s jussssst barely past midnight, so 3/26. I guess. I dunno. I’m pissed about this beer before I even got to try it. Why oh why do breweries cork and cage?! WHY?! This one was such a pain in the ass myself and Mrs. Owl couldn’t get it open. If you volunteer to help bottle at a release like this and you twist it so much nobody can open it then fuck you. FUCK. YOU. I had to get pliers to twist open the cage and it was so tightly wound that by the time I got it open the cage was stripped of all paint/coating/whatever and it never fully opened - the damn thing just broke apart. This is almost as bad as double wax dipped beers. So stupid. Black pour, small khaki head, mild lacing. Fruity aroma, dark fruits, mild acidity, coffee, caramel. Lightly tart flavor, acidic, coffee, chocolate, seltzer water, caramel. Weird beer. Way too hard to open for a beer that doesn’t deliver.

Nejhleader (1561) - Lemoyne, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 7, 2015
Faint chocolate aroma. Taste is a nice chocolate with some molasses. Body a tad thin, but hides alcohol well. A good beer.

katrinaez (2024) - norristown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 1, 2015
Really light on the scent. Thick gritty feel. Coffee and chalky malt that is rich and wonderful. Great porter example. Translucent black. Tap

Travlr (24913) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - NOV 14, 2014
Draft. Dark clear maroon brown. Subtle riasty aroma. Taste has roasty raw brownie dough.

aracauna (3609) - Georgia, USA - AUG 30, 2014
Slight soy behind the chocolate aroma. Surprisingly vinous. Is this wine barrel aged?