overall
RATINGS: 2256   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If you’re unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

JoeMcPhee (10137) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 13, 2005
12 oz bottle, thanks Sammy. Deep hazy ruby-copper beer with a thin yellow head. Beautiful citrus nose, grapefruit, pine, caramel, light plummy fruit as well. Flavour is absolutely beautiful, bready caramel malts with a huge citrus/pine hop aroma, brown sugar, biscuit malt and a touch of plummy special B goodness. Low to moderate bitterness but fantastic aroma. World-class.

drfabulous (8831) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - AUG 12, 2005
Last time I was in Indiana, no one knew about Three Floyds! Hard to believe. Rich in hops. Deep taste. Another beer I don’t understand why we can’t get in Michigan.

walter (359) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - AUG 10, 2005
Bottle. Deep golden amber color with offwhite head. Strong bitter/piney hop aroma with some slight floral and citrus hops. Flavor focuses on the bitter hops-- piney, astringent-- but with nice lingering notes of grapefruit citrus and medium malt sweetness, certainly enhanced as the beer loosens up. Really good stuff.

twindadplus2 (743) - Wisconsin, USA - AUG 9, 2005
Bottle. Pours a translucent brown with a reddish tint around the edges and a good sized, foamy head. Aroma is a beautiful blast of piney hops and grapefruit citrus with a hint of malt peeking through. The flavor... if you drink it cold your palate is positively mugged by the intensely dry, piney hops. Let it warm a bit and the hops still slap your tongue around but the sweet malt is much more noticeable and balances the hops nicely. The finish is, of course, dry and bitter but again well tempered by the malt. I enjoyed it more as it warmed but either way it’s a wonderfully complex brew that begs further sampling. My compliments to all the Floyds!

SwedeDog (364) - Windsor, Connecticut, USA - AUG 9, 2005
Bottle from Ughsmash and from SecretSanta. Now, I must say that normally, I’m not a fan of APAs. Normally, I find them bland and uninspired ... a boring cousin to the IPA. Maybe I was just sampling the wrong ones. Or maybe these Three Floyd guys know what they’re doing. Great aroma of piney and grassy hops, along with honey, grapefruit, orange and sweet malts. As it warms, the aroma gets a little lighter. Drink this out of the fridge, and get ready for an assault on your palate. Tons of dry hoppy goodness! However, it goes through a wonderful transition somewhere around mid bottle. The hops stick around, but the latecoming grapefruit, sweet citrus, honey and caramel make for a great party. The finish is bitter and dry, but not too much so. Damn you Three Floyds!! Why can’t you be available in New England??

Philip (436) - Illinois, USA - AUG 6, 2005
On tap at the Blind Pig, Champaign, IL. Perhaps its unfair of me to rate this given I was sampling the Dreadnaught next to it. But I’ve had this enough in the bottle and on tap, and my reactions have been fairly consistent. The beer’s appearance is much darker than I have come to expect from a pale ale or ipa, almost scotch ale in colour. Notes of caramel and vanilla on the nose and palate blended in with citrus from the profusion of hops. I think part of my qualm with this beer is calling it a pale ale when its quite a bit more hoppy than what some brewers label their ipa. But coming off my soapbox, this is good stuff, not exceptionally good as one might be led to believe by its 99 point score.

RedHaze (371) - Where the hell am I?, Nebraska, USA - AUG 4, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 3, 2005 Pours a dark amber color with a thick 1.5 inch head with a lot of good lacing. Great grapefruit and hop smell to it. Fruity citrus and hop flavor with just the right amount of malt. This is one damn good beer. Wish that this was sold this in my area. I had to order it from John’s Grocery In Iowa City. I have a feeling that I will be ordering more of this in the future. The more I sip it, the better it gets. Wish I could get other Three Floyds brews after this one.

sfontain (851) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - AUG 2, 2005
Clear, bright, orangish ruby red with a huge, white, coarse head; significant lacing all the way down. Smells of light toffee, orange, and pine; heavy note of sugary fruit. Flavor is big: Spicy with light alcohol; not much up front; way too much in the hops department; extremely strong hops taste; burnt. A bit watery, which is surprising. Lovely aroma and appearance, but too much hops!!

thehinge (297) - Nederland, Colorado, USA - AUG 1, 2005
Pours a bubbly, very hazey orange color. Small white head that disappates quickly. I suspect this is very hoppy right away. Aroma has hints of bread, yeast and fruit. Taste is just out of this world, has a grapefruit front end with a moderate hop kick in the finish. I would drink this anytime. Had to travel eighty miles to get it though. Such is life..... Hopheads will love this APA.

gearbike (512) - West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA - AUG 1, 2005
Looks like a stronger beer from apperance when poured. Just a perfect blend of flavors. Very drinkable with the grapefruit but just bitter enough.