overall
RATINGS: 2250   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If you’re unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

stegosaurus (1882) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 12, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 16, 2008 Bottle sampled pours amber, with a medium beige head, with an aroma of citrus and hops an excellent combination, the taste very smooth fruity & malt flavor, wow this is good, excellent body,and finishes with a piney bitterness.

MI2CA (1340) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - JUL 9, 2005
12oz - A bright hoppy aroma for a pale ale, that’s for sure. There is also some malt and a touch of citrus. Pours a clear amber with no carbonation, head, or lacing. Flavor is a delicious blend of hops and malts. Carmel and citrus that’s getting there butt kicked by Mr. Hop. Smooth and blanced, this is a great drinking beer.

jcr (2726) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - JUL 9, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 8, 2009 Bottle. When this is fresh, it is full of citrus hops and bitterness with a delicate malt back bone. Less than fresh, the malts begin to dominate and it’s not near as satisfying. Unfortunately, 3F doesn’t date its bottles. This rating is for a fresh bottle. Medium amber body with a lasting off-white head. Aroma of grapefruit, orange peel, pine and resin. Some toasted grain in the background. The flavor is moderately to heavily bitter, lightly to moderately sweet and moderately acidic. The finish is bitter and dry and long lasting. There is just enough of a hint of sweet malts throughout to balance the big hop flavor. Medium body with a watery texture and lively carbonation. Outstanding and a favorite.

jcwattsrugger (12517) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - JUL 9, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 10, 2005 12 oz bottle-pours a nice creamy tan head. Clear gold-amber color. Aroma-lots of citrus&hops. Flavor is lots of citrus-bitter grapefruit (from the hops). Taste finishes with the bitter grapefruit lightly, and without a bite. A very good, occasional beer.

mixx (1) - USA - JUL 8, 2005 does not count
Undoubtedly the best IPA I’ve ever enjoyed. Very Citrus/fruity but not overpowering. Extremely hoppy; savory aftertaste; very flavorful but drinkable.

intheric (20) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JUL 5, 2005
On tap at Cap Ale House. Great amber color, very smooth. Taste very much like an IPA, great hoppiness and nice toasted malt flavor.

Sregnar35 (1032) - Rotterdam, New York, USA - JUL 4, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 24, 2005 Freebee 12oz from Ohiodad. The best pale ale I’ve ever had, mostly because it tasts like a good IPA. Very smooth, bitter pale ale.

jimstrassburg (57) - Germantown, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 2, 2005
Dark orange-amber color. White-cream head which didn’t last. Good lace though. This is the third Three Floyds brew I’ve had. The first was Dark Lord (thanks Chuck), the second was Dreadnaught (thanks Grapes and Grain, Mequon, WI). Both were excellent so I didn’t hesitate to pick up a 6 pack of alpha king for 6.99 (again at Grapes and Grain). I’ve drank three before rating it. Not counting free beers I’ve been given to rate (from Chuck, Blake and Matt) this is the best beer for the price I’ve ever bought. I love me the bitter bitch goddes pale ale. Citrus hops. This pale ale gives makes most IPA’s or imperial IPA’s it’s bitch. I’ve been drinking all night so I’m starting to get creative (who was that writer that would drink for inspiration?). Anyhow, I think I’m rambling so I’m out. Check the ratings.

JFGrind (2064) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 1, 2005
I enjoyed the welcome mat of a citrus hop aroma the Alpha King rolled out me when I popped the cap. Orange bodied beer with right amounts of hop and malt balanced this APA.

SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JUN 28, 2005
In the bottle at the 2005 Bad-burek party. Dark amber with an off-white head. Aroma is of a little man jumping out of the bottle to rake your olfactory senses with hop vines. This is a veritable nasal lavage of big dog power hops. Flavor matches the smell. I’m sure it has a malt backbone, but who cares? I’m in absolute palate fatigue after the second swill. My carnal hophead desires are satiated.