overall
RATINGS: 2323   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lovers cult beer and Three Floyds flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If youre unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
duke33 (69) - Eldersburg, Maryland, USA - MAY 30, 2005
I found this one incredibly over-rated...It had a nice head, but I didnt think the hops were quite as strong as i was expecting. I found the whole taste on this one incredibly average.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
ecbeerguy (86) - East Chicago, Indiana, USA - MAY 29, 2005
I little strong for my likings. It pours with a decent head, especially for an ale. The color is one one of those crayons in the box of 64 between orange and brown. Its got some fruit, to give it some much needed sweetness, but I find that the hops dry the beer out.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SuIIy (1983) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - MAY 27, 2005
Bottle from eyedrinkale. Aroma is very hoppy. taste is smooth with a great hop finish, grows stronger as you near the end. great brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
FooFaa (1) - Medford, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 25, 2005 does not count
Bottled. Pours a deep orange color with a rapidly dissipating, rocky, white head, which leaves a thin layer of lacing on the top. The aroma is almost completely dominated by floral American hops. The [possibly?] Centennial and/or Columbus hops give this beer a fantastic floral, citrus, apricot, and slight pine aroma. There is a faint malt-caramel aroma present as well, but, dont let me fool yah, this beer is all about the humulus! The flavor is sweet up front. Citrus-hop flavors are ascendant -- grapefruit with orange zest and maybe a little lemon. The hops are supported with a strong troupe of malt character. A touch of caramel, toasted, and maybe a little nutty flavors give great play with the hops. Again, grapefruit is the dominant flavor. The beer is fairly well balanced, and has average alcohol feel. The brewer lists this is as a medium-bodied beer. Which is probably correct, but relative to other PAs, this is most definitely full-bodied. The finish is quite bitter, but not overwhelmingly so. The aftertaste is quick, dry, and bitter with a bit of grassiness (perhaps from some dry-hopping). There are no perceptible flaws in this beer; as, the intense hopping simply wont allow any, if they exist, to show through. Overall, I thought this was an intensely flavored beer with incredible body, but was surprisingly drinkable. The flavors and aroma are well organized. I can see how it might be a little too intense, in flavor/bitterness/alcohol/body, to drink all night for some, but I still consider it a session.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Firemoose15 (567) - Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 23, 2005
Out of a bottle, nice piney citrus aroma. Dark amber color medium foamy white head that leaves thin layer on top. Taste on the hoppy side but finishes fast and dry. I liked the bitterness and crispness that accompanied this brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
can8ianben (1510) - State College, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 23, 2005
Amazing hops hit you right in the face. They are very present and give off a very strong pine odor. The nose is also very sweet. Plesent boardering on obnoxious (almost soappy?). The appearance is great. Nice amber colour topped with a big fluffy head which is gone pretty quickly. NIce lacing throughout the glass. Great IPA like flavour that gives off a great malty yet very hoppy smoothness. Not too bitter, no alchol apparent. This one reminds me of a home brew I once made. Great beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
morehops (39) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 22, 2005
Great IPA. This is my first Three Floyds beer. Good hoppy aroma, great taste and after taste. Balanced extremely well, couldnt taste the alcohol.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrunkenWeasel (224) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 22, 2005
Pours clear amber color, with thick white head. Tangy hop smell with strong nutty maly undertones. Sweet tangy hoppy taste with a slight nut taste to it, much like the smell. Slightly bland aftertaste but smooth and damn good.

Ughsmash (7508) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 20, 2005
Poured a reddish-amber with about a 1" head that stayed quite well. Aroma was of citrusy hops (lemon and grapefruit came to mind). Beer was medium-bodied, and seemed to be highly carbonated (I think this was due to a very bad pour from the bartender). The bitterness and the citrus flavors danced across the taste buds very well, with a light hoppy finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
1FastSTi (3360) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 20, 2005
Well, my wireless connection died so I lost all my info I typed in. Good, but not as good as gumballhead or dreadnaught.