overall
RATINGS: 2250   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If you’re unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

JoshuaB (476) - Detroit, Michigan, USA - JUN 23, 2005
A damn fine brew. Poured a beautiful translucent copper with a very thin layer of white head. Minimal carbonation. Smells of strong grapefruit and piney hops. Taste is a good mix of hops and some sweet carmel malts, but the hops defintely win the battle. This beer is all about huge hops, but the bitterness seemed subdued, perhaps by the malts. This makes for an interesting APA. A permanent member of my fridge.

Juelze (1146) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 22, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 22, 2006 Bottle. Smells of pine, floral hops, and citrus. Taste mimics the aroma . Very intense hop flavor throughout. No question that what little the caramel malt does it’s destroyed by the over the top amount of hops in this one. More hop taste in this APA then some IPA’s I’ve head. With that said I wish for a little more malt/hop balance in an APA. My first from 3F.

waeltzy (53) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 21, 2005
Tap. Beautiful color. Aroma was of citrus and honey suckle flowers. Nice head without a ton of lacing. Good hoppy crisp refreshing flavor. Definitly some notes of alcohol. Fairly strong malt covered up nicely by the refreshing hop. Dry and bitter after palate.

murawski (160) - USA - JUN 19, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 3, 2005 Dark amber color, smooth pour with long-lasting head. A bit thicker than I expected from a pale ale, but it had the extreme hoppy flavor I had heard about. Excellent, complex flavor. Bottle. [upon a second tasting in Chicago on 7/30/05 I upped my rating a tad -- what an amazing pale ale!]

UNCCTF (587) - Cary, North Carolina, USA - JUN 19, 2005
Bottled. Orange-copper coloring - dark for a pale ale - with white head that laces moderately onto the glass. Aroma is very hoppy, and the flavor is mostly bitter but with some malt put in to make it interesting. Finish is dry and hoppy. This is an excellent pale.

BlueDevil0206 (122) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUN 9, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 22, 2005 Pours a fairly dark orangy copper for a PA with a white head that lingers a bit. Aroma was packed with piney, citrussy, grassy american C hops. Flavor is intensely but pleasantly bitter with excellent hop character but with sufficient caramely sweet malt backbone. Some modest ester profile complements the flavor. Slighty buscuity as well. It is also quite full bodied and smooth. I really think this beer should be classified as an IPA and pride and joy should be their american pale ale but that’s just me. I could drink this regularly. A really excellent beer from an excellent brewery.

mephisto (1294) - TAIWAN - JUN 8, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 14, 2005 em, this is not an ipa? i woner what their ipa tastes like then. floral aroma w/ ’hint’ (a big one) of hops. very hoppy, but balanced by malt. actually quite drinakable, quite impressive indeed.

gregarpp (12) - Dyer, Indiana, USA - JUN 7, 2005
I have had this beer for some time now. It seems to have changed a bit over time. When they were located in Hammond I used to get it on tap at a local pub. It was a yellow cloudy "cheap" beer. It had great aroma and citrus flavor. Now it is cleaner with the same great aroma.

JK (6249) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - JUN 5, 2005
Complex aroma. Floral, aromatic hops and a hint of red wine. Amber with a large thick head that fades but not quickly. Some malt in the flavor, but the dominant flavor is fruity hops. About as good as a pale ale can get.

FROTHINGSLOSH (8069) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 5, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 2, 2011 This is the first beer I have managed to try from this brewer. Sampled from a 12 oz brown bottle this beer poured a bright bronze color with a medium sized tan head. The aroma is strong sweet hops - very fruity. The mouthfeel is rather thick and smooth. The flavor is strong fruity hops - almost a fruit cocktail element to it. Very sweet.