overall
RATINGS: 2325   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If you’re unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

FoolishMortal (990) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 2, 2005
Aubernish amber with a medium white head, slightly rocky. Crisp amarillo hop aroma with a malty sweet undertone. Citrusy hop nose, becomes slightly sweet with malt flavors. Dries out quckly to finish with a spritely hop crispness. Very sessionable, even if a tad alcoholic.

OhioDad (2492) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - MAY 1, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 6, 2005 Pours a dark amber color. Surprising for an APA. Nice tan head hangs around a while and laces the glass. Aroma is citrus and hops very nice aroma. Carbonation is great in this for an APA. The powerful hops overwhelm the alcohol in this. It is bitter at the end and quite citrusy. A refreshing brew that I truly enjoyed. I can’t wait to drink the rest of the 6 pack! Rerate - I let one warm up a little last night and as a result I’m upping the numbers a little bit. Refrigeration masks many of the great characteristics of this brew. This is top notch for an American Pale Ale!

dm9831 (1512) - Monee, Illinois, USA - MAY 1, 2005
dark amber color. whif of pine in the aroma. deliciously bitter. fizzy palate, that kind of sticks in throat, but i like that.my notes say ’a nice, nice beer’, but i seem to say that a lot. maybe i should have that printed on every page of my notebook to save time.

agl108 (1232) - Upper St. Clair, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 30, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 1, 2005 Thanks to lamas for the bottle. 12 oz. bottle. Pours a beautiful copper. Head dissipates quickly, lots of lace. Solid grapefruit/citrus aroma. Perfect level of carbonation. Hoppy flavor makes the slightly higher than usual ABV unnoticeable. Nice, sharp, bitter finish...very refreshing. The best APA I’ve ever had?? I’m not sure - definitely near the top though. I’d like to throw back a couple more of these. Very tasty nonetheless.

Cashazza (217) - Morganville, Maryland, USA - APR 30, 2005
Okay, not a big fan of pine, and this brew has lots of it. I used to love Three Floyds’ brews, but have noticed Dreadnaught now tastes like PineSol and I’m not into ingesting kitchen cleaner. However, Alpha King is not as strong, so I can’t knock it too much. Apparently, the recipe has changed or I’m missing something, because I’m not picking up on the citrus and malts that others have in their reviews. Oh well... Thanks, Egaj and Shag!

jollyraider (252) - Los Angeles, California, USA - APR 25, 2005
My goodness this is bitter-a different kind of bitter. Maybe it’s been too long since my last strong apa/ipa. Piney, citrusy, strong malts, very dry. It made my little sister’s face squinch up in the cutest way.

chriso (7533) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - APR 25, 2005
More of an IPA than an APA I would have said, but what’s in a name? Big brassy copper colour. The usual US pine resin hoppy aroma. More of the same on the palate. Rather astringent mouthfeel. Pretty good. Bottled at the London Joet gathering, January 2005.

Shag (3000) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - APR 24, 2005
This beer had a dark orange appearance. The flavors are mainly grapefruit and orange. It had a good malt profile as well. The aftertaste is bitter. Overall its a very good pale ale.

bsawatzky (153) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 23, 2005
pour a light copper color with off white head. the aroma was of floral hops and grapefruit with definite sweetness. the flavor was much of the same...strong the the spicey grapefruit hop flavor. a very good pale ale.

tsarman (794) - Northern, New Jersey, USA - APR 23, 2005
Hoppy aroma and hoppy flavor. Beautiful looking and easy to drink. Strong amount of hops, though never overpowering. Tasted similar to an IPA.