overall
RATINGS: 2330   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If you’re unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - FEB 3, 2005
Pours copper orange with a big rocky beige head. Aroma was mostly citrus hops with some malt detectable. Flavor was very well balanced, with an all hop finish and lingering aftertaste. Very well done.

hopmaster (7) - redlands, California, USA - FEB 2, 2005 does not count
This is a good beer, but if it’s really in the top 1 percentile of beers, they’ve changed something since I used to buy this stuff as my regular "drinking beer" a mile from the brewery when I lived in Whiting, Indiana four years ago. At that time, they were a tiny outfit brewing their beers in a non-descript warehouse in Hammond, IN (they didn’t even have a sign on the building!). I think they have since moved to new digs. I used to buy it because it was brewed locally, was very hoppy (too hoppy for most), and wasn’t terribly expensive, about 2 bucks more a case than my usual Sierra Nevada Pale ale. Good stuff, but back then, underneath the high hoppy initial taste was a somewhat disappointing wateriness and lack of depth. Like I said, they must have changed something to get these high ratings, and I’d like to try it again today to see. A memorable beer.

Joeh (2049) - Buckinghamshire, ENGLAND - FEB 1, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 19, 2005 Bottle at Chris’ - brought by joet. I was very happy to see A Three Floyds beer. Red with a slight head. Hoppy U.S. aroma. Lovely and hoppy with some citric qualities. A good beer at the high end of the session beer scale.

SilkTork (5729) - Southampton, United Kingdom, Hampshire, ENGLAND - FEB 1, 2005
The Great Kilburn Gathering. Heavy oily cascade aroma repeated in flavour. Soft sweetness. An IPA.

maeib (8749) - Wootton, Northampton, Northamptonshire, ENGLAND - FEB 1, 2005
Bottled at The London/Joet Gathering Chez Chris_O. A mid brown coloured beer with a good hoppy nose which has some orange notes. The taste is smackingly hoppy with pomegranite notes. Just really a good beer.

wnhay (722) - Princeton, New Jersey, USA - JAN 31, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 19, 2005 Fantastic! This is my first offering from Three Floyds and I am very impressed. The pour is similar to the Victory Hop Devil but with an even cremier head. The aroma is sweet and Malty with a lot of hops. It is close to an IPA but not quite.

kane (111) - USA - JAN 27, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2005 An American/Indian pale ale? I find it hard to consider this an pale ale when the description of their Dreadnaught is it is a step above their APA. How can you go from an APA to an Imperial IPA. The color is medium amber and a decent off-white head. Strong pine/ citrus hop aroma and taste that comes off a little too medicinal for me, if not slippery. Rather limp body. A nice flavorful beer that I find a little lacking in the malts. Lacks the body of SNPA and the smooth creaminess of Burning River, but I am sure the high hop profile will make most overlook this.

cathcacr (647) - Oregon, USA - JAN 26, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2005 If I didn’t know, and just poured and sniffed and looked at it, it would come off as an IPA. (A plus, of course.) Very good sign. And it goes about as far as an APA can go. (Actually, not even as far as Great Lakes Burning River does.) Citrusy on the front, sweet on the finish, yadda yadda yadda. I think it’s an inescapable feature of APA’s: they present much like an IPA but they’re smoothed around the edges, finishing soft and, well, flat. A lackluster orgasm that just ends with a kind of thud, emptiness, unintrusiveness, non-lingeringness. Okay, maybe that’s a bit harsh; after all, an APA can only be so much and a critic’s got to be a Bastard. It’s good stuff. The sudsy sheen on top and lacing are real eye candy, like Stone IPA. Go on now, hop lover, join hands with the gargoyle, take that next step and go the rest of the way...

hezron (614) - Viroqua, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 23, 2005
Dark Amber in color with a nice head. Smells of grapefruit and spruce. Tasted the citrus and spruce with a grassy aftertaste Fairly bitter.

Arayaga2 (2193) - portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 21, 2005
Deceptively sweet smell, and initial taste finishes (too?) bitter and hoppy. My girlfriend tried it, made a face, and said it tasted like cockroach juice. I’m not sure how she knows, but I disagree.