overall
RATINGS: 2325   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If you’re unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - DEC 14, 2004
Let’s rate as I drink...Aroma: Chewy, chewy, citrus hops. Almost sticky (if that’s a smell...) with very lite caramel malt riding the hop underneath. Great copper-mahogony color, very clear. Reasonable head for such a beer too. Looks good. Well balanced right off the start but leaning towards hops. Gives you a hint of quenching liquid (and little malt) before moving into a hop brewhaha. Dry with citrus peal and pine (maybe mostly citrus peal). This is very good! WOW! I keep adjusting my ratings up as I continue to drink. I always chew a bit of hops when I brew, anyone else get THAT strong a taste?

biermensch (64) - USA - DEC 12, 2004
If I had to chose one ale/lager to drink, this would be my choice. This is truly the king, forget that nonsense out of St. Louis. The Floyds got it absolutely right with Alpha King, from the orange color, citrus and hops, huge flavor, yet easy drinkability. My first 20. I keep trying other American Pale Ales, but always come back to Alpha King.

sbrewno (49) - Frankfort, Illinois, USA - DEC 12, 2004
Bottle. The orange and spice hits the second you pop the cap. Hops and floral spice very pronounced in the smell. Appears a bit red and quite filtered. Hops just keep hitting the nose. Nice bitter, full, warm finish that lingers with more hop notes. 3F’s flagship, indeed. A great beer.

BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - DEC 12, 2004
Coppery, orangey hue, fairly clear, decent head formation. Fairly mellow grapefruit aroma, fresh rose petals, pretty sweetish suggestions. Palate is predominantly hoppy grapefruit but it’s pretty well balanced, tea, mild orange and biscuity caramel. Pretty strong bitter finish. The hops are there in abundance but are well balanced, throwing themselves out every once in a while to catch your tastebuds by surpise. Very well put together.

brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 9, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2009 Orange amber color, full hop citrus aroma, hoppy grapefruit burst in your mouth with a wonderful malt hop blend aftertaste. This is the best pale ale out there and probaly one of the top 5 overall brews.

Sammy (12201) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 7, 2004
Excellently hopped, beautiful hoppy appearance and a good meal accompanyment. Grapefruit hops, green tea, some malts, some peachy melon and dark fruit taste in finish. Fresh medium clean mouthfeel. Thanks Joey Capps.

jmuhops (669) - Winchester, Virginia, USA - NOV 30, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 6, 2005 Pours amber with a near-perfect creamy head. The citrusy hop aroma really doesn’t do the flavor justice. Very creamy for a pale ale, with just the right malt backbone to balance the initial hop blast. The most flavorful pale ale I’ve found so far.

meathookjones (245) - Sterling, Virginia, USA - NOV 28, 2004
This one pours a nice dark red/amber color with nice sized white head. Has good head retention and leaves some lacing around the glass. Smell is dominated by the hops mainly citrus and there is some malt too it as well. The taste is all about the hops, which dominate the initial flavors. There is some malt to it and it has a nice bitter aftertaste, a very balanced taste. Has a nice think and creamy mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation. A great pale ale that is very complex and makes for one of my favorite session beers.

Enniskillen (2053) - Bakersfield, California, USA - NOV 26, 2004
Aroma is much more subtle then I expected, but plesant... Hops, dried fruit, a lot of peach I catch too. Body is an amber/brown, with a very thin head. Taste is unlike any beer I’ve had, it’s real hoppy, but it lets the sweetness chyme in from time to time. With this beer you get your sweet tea, then hops, and a little bit of dark fruit.

sixpackcharley (19) - barclay, Texas, USA - NOV 25, 2004
A lot of expectation for this one! Brought from my northern brother. Very well defined aroma, almost a professional olfactory comment. Sweet hops and mild carbonation make this worth the wait. Well constructed Pale Ale!