overall
RATINGS: 2250   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If you’re unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

meathookjones (245) - Sterling, Virginia, USA - NOV 28, 2004
This one pours a nice dark red/amber color with nice sized white head. Has good head retention and leaves some lacing around the glass. Smell is dominated by the hops mainly citrus and there is some malt too it as well. The taste is all about the hops, which dominate the initial flavors. There is some malt to it and it has a nice bitter aftertaste, a very balanced taste. Has a nice think and creamy mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation. A great pale ale that is very complex and makes for one of my favorite session beers.

Enniskillen (2060) - Bakersfield, California, USA - NOV 26, 2004
Aroma is much more subtle then I expected, but plesant... Hops, dried fruit, a lot of peach I catch too. Body is an amber/brown, with a very thin head. Taste is unlike any beer I’ve had, it’s real hoppy, but it lets the sweetness chyme in from time to time. With this beer you get your sweet tea, then hops, and a little bit of dark fruit.

sixpackcharley (19) - barclay, Texas, USA - NOV 25, 2004
A lot of expectation for this one! Brought from my northern brother. Very well defined aroma, almost a professional olfactory comment. Sweet hops and mild carbonation make this worth the wait. Well constructed Pale Ale!

footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - NOV 21, 2004
Big citrus and piney sweetness on the nose.Hops were not pushing this over the hill and flavors were subtle.Nice.My friends wife loved it and is now a hophead.

Jeppe (2631) - Brooklyn, Alabama, USA - NOV 9, 2004
Clear amber golden beer with a foamy off-white head. Orange, flower hop, nut and caramel in the fruity aroma. Bitter/flower hoppy flavor with sweet fruity notes and a long bitter finish. Dry. Nice and fresh!

axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 8, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 26, 2006 I’m really excited to drink this beer right now. I’ve never been in more of a pale ale mood than I am this evening. Great looking beer. Darker and redder than most pales. Sweet grapefruit, orange, and hop aroma. Piney hop flavor. Not nearly as much grapefruit taste as I had expected. Very refreshing with just the right amount of carbonation. A quite enjoyable rotgut.

jewedekind (450) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 7, 2004
bottle. Huge grapefruit aroma right out of the blocks. Medium white head that lingered briefly. Very pretty orange-red and completely clear(despite the bottle fermentation). Huge grapefruit flavor. Not as bitter as I expected, but still a lip-purser for sure. Very unbalanced of course, but too much emphasis on the grapefruit. Could be better on tap? Not a real "98%er" in my book.

Jedsbrew (465) - Rhineland, Missouri, USA - NOV 5, 2004
Slightly hazy copper hue with a durable head and lacing and some yeast floating around-lovely dry hoppy grapefruit aroma. On the light side in body, it’s a hoppy sob alright but where’s the malt? Bitter hoppy up front, turned a bit fruity-grapefruit/orange with a note of caramel in the middle with a dry bitter finish. Tasty with a killer aroma but unbalanced.

BuckNaked (1230) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - OCT 31, 2004
Bottle: dark amber with red highlights, light tan head, clear body. This is one of the best hop aromas I have smelled. Fresh, juicy hops, grapefruit, floral notes, grass, some caramel malty notes. Taste doesn’t hide the fact that it’s been heavily laden with hops. Initially biting and bitter, yet fresh and crisp, this beer attacks your taste buds. Loads of hops, with some caramel, grain malt in the background somewhere. One of the best in this style for sure. Only negatives - slightly watery mouthfeel, could be more full bodied. Also, I respect hops, but I’d like to see just a bit more malt backbone to go with the body. Very good.

rudolf (2360) - Buffalo, New York, USA - OCT 29, 2004
Orangey red with an off-white head. Nose is candi sugar, grapefruity, rich malt, tart & tini candies. Flavor is grainy/husky citrus hop, some fruitiness. Well done on the malt, slightly past toasted. Finish is grapefruity pine, earthy. An awsome IPA