overall
RATINGS: 2246   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If you’re unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

mardermax (71) - santa cruz, California, USA - JUN 3, 2004
12oz bottle traded by atpayne, word adam, this shit is da bomb. really nice looking beer, robust caramely color with a really reasonable proportioned head.. white creamy fluffy, whipped buttery head. mmmmmm... smells so danks sticky and hops, oh hops. a lighter dreadnaught...really fruity and almost to very well being an actual ipa

TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 2, 2004
You know, this is the easiest of the Three Floyds beers to find, yet it took me forever to try it. What the hell was I thinking, this is great! 2 for 2 on good beers tonight.

celluloiddroid (25) - Hebron, Indiana, USA - MAY 25, 2004
Bottle. Pours a beautiful dark golden with a very large head. Went perfectly with the meatball sandwich I was eating at the time. Will be coming back for more.

pivo (2685) - GERMANY - MAY 23, 2004
Clean bright hop nose, pale copper color, big foamy head. Creamy honey-ish malt body up front turns quickly to a sharp, spicy hop finish that sticks around for a while. Not convinced on the balance. Enjoyable though.

YogiBeera (2569) - New Jersey, USA - MAY 20, 2004
Amber colored, little frothy head, liveley carbonation. Medium hoppy nose, kind of bubblegummy. Nice malty taste - the hoppiness comes in the end but weak. Medium but short aftertaste.

tomxcs (321) - California, USA - MAY 7, 2004
A really nice malty, rich grapefruit aroma with an deep amber body and off-white head which diminished quickly. Great flavors of citrus, malt, and hop bitterness. Wonderful mouthfeel -- dry, bitter and lasting. I’m very impressed.

Cornboy (424) - Eastampton, New Jersey, USA - MAY 5, 2004
I scored a fairly fresh batch a few months ago and should have written notes back then. I tasted the same batch recently, and it (like many Ipas) has lost its hoppy "edge". Still a wonderful brew, but the hops have dulled with a 3 month aging. This was superb fresh, but average after a few months on the shelf.

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAY 4, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 15, 2004 When I was first introduced to this beer, I was warned that it wasn’t for everyone, and at the very least took some getting used to, after all "it’s not normal." I’d already had an affection for the hops, and, well, it was love at first sniff and sip. Years later, after the bloom of fresh infatuation has mellowed, how does the beer compare, especially after this tongue has met so many others, with abundant charms? That is what we seek to discover... Perfect crimson-tinged nectarine hue, hazy, and blessed with a beautiful bed of froth up on top, leaving delicate lace, enticing the eye. Aroma makes matters worse for the thirst, big fruit, fresh hops, peachy, melon, orange, and, yes, mango, and more, a bountiful bouquet that keeps the nose happy and hoppy. Man, but I need a taste, though! An explosion in the mouth, the hops are a bursting throughout, but so well buttressed by malt, that any bitterness is mellow and well smoothed out, after an initial bite, at least. Like chomping into a ripe tangerine, juice splashing on the corners of the mouth and dripping down the chin. Though hoppiness flows freely, and bitterness peeks through time and again, the mouthfeel is actually soft and luxuriant, body is medium, and the overall effect is a constant joyride for the palate. A lively and rewarding ale, and a real American classic, a jewel in the craft-brew crown. Count yourself lucky if you can grab these with ease. Ah, I once had it on-tap around here...those were some fine days...

1.3
Crash (532) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - APR 30, 2004
Sour grainy taste with an aftertaste that never stops. Normal ale appearance with better than average head.

jonwell (104) - Huntington Beach, California, USA - APR 29, 2004
My first three floyds beer. I smelled it as soon as I popped the cap. Hops much? Pours with a good sized, white, rocky (nigh continental) head. Color is beautifully copper/orange, and absolutely crystal clear. Beautiful. I’m going to sit here and smell this for a while. Ooh ya. OK, let’s taste it. Pleasently sweet on the tip of the tongue, with an affirmative hop bitterness that flows down the tongue. Hop taste is wonderful. Finishes clean and dry with a pleasently bitter hop aftertaste. Mouthfeel is lighter than I expected. What a wonderful beer. I wish I could get more of this, but I guess I’ll have to make do with the three I have.