overall
RATINGS: 2256   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If you’re unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

cherr (162) - Rochester, New York, USA - OCT 14, 2003
I had been waiting to try this beer for a long time. I found it on tap at McGregors in Rochester. The smell was excellent, hops and fruits. The taste was full and extremely balanced. There was absolutely no aftertaste. It went down extremely smooth and left me waiting for my next drink. Overall excellent APA.

BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - OCT 8, 2003
12oz bottle fresh from the brewery. Beautiful copper colored ale with a thick frothy head. Big piney citrusy hoppy aroma which smells like a good amount of Cascade but I could be wrong. None the less, fantasticly hopped. Smooth body with a bitter slightly dry finish. Terrific flavor with nice blend of malts and hops. A bitter pale but fantastic and nearly an IPA in my opinion. Delicate lacing. Wish I had more of this. Thanks Bunkypop!

tallmatt67 (99) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - OCT 7, 2003
(bottled). Dark copper, brilliantly clear. Huge, catty grapefruit and other citrus aroma. Medium-full bodied beer leads with big malt and a piney, pungent bitter finish. Smooth, lingering persistent bitterness is giant, but somehow doesn't overwhelm the malt. This is damn good beer.

beerhoto (14) - Terre haute, Indiana, USA - OCT 3, 2003
I like the beer and I like the brewery. Used to not like pales but this beer changed that. Strong aroma, and flavor which are much the same. One of the best aftertastes for a pale.

ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - OCT 1, 2003
Copper color, small head. Strong citrusy hopped aroma, taste is much the same. Similar to Victory and DFH IPAs but not quite as full as those, and maybe a bit more citrusy.

temporrari (397) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - SEP 25, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 6, 2008 This used to be a 4+ beer. They have changed the recipe I have no doubt. Not what it once was, the hop profile is diminished and lacking. It was so fruity and juicy before... Not anymore. Not even similar to it’s former glory. Still pretty decent... But I hope the original recipes returns soon.

guzzler67 (1696) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - SEP 25, 2003
Copper colored with a medium size head and good lacing. Hoppy floral aroma. Distinct lemon/citrus taste with a crisp, dry finish.

mreeves (276) - Sammamish, Washington, USA - SEP 23, 2003
An excellent, refreshing and hoppy pale ale. Nice orangey color, good head, excellent hop aroma and good flavor.

loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - SEP 20, 2003
Clear orange color with a nice thick beige head. The aroma was wonderfully sweet and citrusy. The flavor was very sweet, malty, slightly hoppy (not as much as the aroma would make you expect), and some caramel, and great pine tones. Great thick feel...smooth on the tongue. Great APA.

PBOYNY (316) - Westchester, New York, USA - SEP 19, 2003
alpha king rocks! this stuff is smooth,with nice head,capmlex carmel and strong hops,smooth as a silk coat!