overall
RATINGS: 2330   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If you’re unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 16, 2003
amber clolour, white head. huge aroma of perfume and herbs with citrusy hints. very big and hoppy flavour, but not over the top, which leaves room for some apple and melon fruitiness and caramel sweet malt. bitter finish lingers. the best I've tried from 3F so far.

OlJuntan64 (1265) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - AUG 14, 2003
Royal bourbon clear colour with a yellow white head. Medium fruiy and seriously intense herbal and sweeter rosewater aroma. Flavour is reminiscent of dryish liquid turkish delight. Extra long beautifully balanced finish. Nice stuff.

Falconseye8 (542) - Evans, Colorado, USA - AUG 11, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 12, 2003 Just finished my very first Alpha King. These are my impressions. The Alpha King Bombards your neural net with an overwhelming layer of texture and flavor. Grapefruit/sour aroma to me. Nonetheless very powerful elixir. After second sip Neural activity pinging like crazy. Very intense experience. Wonder what this might be like on tap. Head was non-existant when poured out. No bitter afterbite whatsoever. How would I rate this against them all. I would have to try the rest of the High ranking brews before I make my permanent list. Definitely Amber from first sip to last. Very good very unexpected and not exactly what I thought. Very interesting experience indeed.

ElGaucho (2401) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - AUG 11, 2003
After 370 beers rated, this is my first perfect beer! Sampled at the Great Taste of the Midwest. Aroma: very hoppy, wonderful, rich. Very nice, reddish, orangish amber. Off-white head. Not much visible carbonation. Very nice hoppy flavor. Excellent lace. As an American Pale, doesn't get any better than this.

radiomgb (2686) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 10, 2003
Clear amber in colour. Aroma of hops and citrus/grapefruit. Flavour is nicely hopped, grapefruit and oranges. Finishes with medium bitterness and a long aftertaste.

CapFlu (5126) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - AUG 10, 2003
(Bottle) Deep amber body and cascade nose. Strong hops with a somewhat light palate. Beautiful.

3fourths (9331) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - AUG 9, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 12, 2012 Medium copper. Very sweet floral aroma. Sweet almond, smoke, and hop flavor underneath a big profile of maple and apple. stewy and caramel heavy, wet and green and limp and muddled. in 2005 it was the best thing ever. in 2012 it’s a mess of a pale ale and lacks brightness and focus.

ClarkVV (6637) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 1, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 12, 2006 2002 Bottle. Awesome murky reddish-orange color, with tons of frothy burnt white head. Smells citrusy, and a touch of alcohol aroma arises, as well. Begins very strong with lots of cascade hops. Full bouquet of hops continues through body and it finishes bitter. Not too much detectable yeast, and while the body is clean and tastey, there didnt seem to be much distinguishing this from any other top tier APA until. . .!! It warmed up!!! This beer’s flavor and palate have just improved tenfold after warming, every sip I took had a wonderful flavor in the finish that lingered. I can best describe it as an alcohol/butterscotch malt flavor that has a bit of a slow burn to it. It really complemented the huge hoppy flavor and left me very happy with this beer and wanting to try more. Previous score: 8/4/9/5/18
2006 bottle. Still a very lovely fruity, hoppy, lush nose, with sweet malts backing it and not overdone in bitterness. Toned down dreadnaught, I guess. But the hard crystal malt behind it and filtered, washed out mouthfeel just don’t cut it. Plenty of average brewers are doing much better things in the mouthfeel category. I suppose not the biggest of complaints, but bottle conditioning is bottle conditioning and this less-than-tight carbonation is lacking. Hard crystal malts do not help either. Score is for this bottle.

NeonLX (261) - Wisconsin, USA - JUL 28, 2003
On tap at the Wild Onion Brewpub: Gorgeous deep amber color, head is smallish but lacey. Aroma promises plenty of pine. Taste is big on hops at first--and continues all the way through. Not as malty as I expected but pretty well balanced nonetheless. Overall very nice but I didn't think it was quite as fine as Kona Brewery's Fire Rock Ale on tap.

BBB63 (6557) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - JUL 25, 2003
On tap at Brewery: Outstanding appearance and excellent lacing. Big hop aroma of pine, grapefruit, flowers, and tart apple. In addition detected nutty grain, and a hint of vanilla. Very hoppy up front but settles down to have nice balance. Too cool! The pine cone taste does linger well after you are done drinking (unless you "clean your palate" with a Behemoth like I did!) Very dry and lively mouthfeel, somewhat metallic feel. This is one nice hoppy pale ale, recommended. Another winner by Three Floyds. (Note: I have had this numerous times in the past, just got around to getting it on tap again)