overall
RATINGS: 2250   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If you’re unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

jason1970 (143) - Illinois, USA - JUL 19, 2012
Wow! My first Three Floyd’s beer and it was awesome. I have really started to enjoy APAs and IPAs so opted for their flagship Alpha King. From the moment you open the bottle you know you’re drinking something great. The aroma has a deep citrus character that has a whiff of grapefruit and is packed with a wide variety of hops. It opens up nicely as it pours and you really get the hops it packs. Appearance was very clear and nice copperish color that had a nice thick white head to start and some moderate lacing. The taste mirrors the aroma and is packed with a wide variety of fresh citrusy hops that is balanced nicely with a floral accent and some caramel notes. It taste damn good. Very moderate bitterness and no lingering aftertaste. This is one of my favorite beers and I can’t wait to try some others in their line-up. If they are nearly as good as Alpha King, I’m in for a nice surprise.

jstonerock24 (142) - Englewood, Ohio, USA - AUG 27, 2014
Aroma is straight pine and citrus. Not extremely bitter like an IPA but strong pine and citrus flavor like one. This is my kind of pale ale. Most would consider this a hoppy IPA. Well done

bboeckl (142) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 23, 2007
On tap. Hops, Hops, Hops!!! This is not a beer to start out a newbie. A deep breath reveals pine, hops, herbs, citrus. A walk through deep pine forests, one inhales and a bitter menthol type aroma but instead of cool and mellow like a pine forest... one is transported to a remote island, grapefruit is growing from the pine trees. You take a taste, sweet, sour, piney, herbal. This brew will cure what ales ya! Thick, balanced, there is a bit of an acidic bite that can get a little out of control if you continue to drink this, but otherwise the perfect beer to sip, over and over and over again! I would highly recommend.

DragonsHead (142) - Morgantown, West Virginia, USA - NOV 27, 2008
Hadn’t had this beer in awhile, and boy did I miss it!! Had a bottle recently, compliments of Mark. Poured a beautiful orangish amber. Big hop aromas from the start, then it mellowed as it got a chance to breath. Big time citrus hops is the first thing to come to mind. It’s like you’ve been thrown into a pit of hops and grapefruit. The finish lasts, but you wish it would last longer. Never a bad beer from three floyds.

RLiddell (141) - Valrico, Florida, USA - AUG 30, 2015
12 ounce bottle brought back from Indiana. Pours a dark straw collor with an adequate head that dissapates rapidly. Nose is of an IPA and not a pale ale.Tasta reminds me of a good IPA as well. This is amongst my favorite pale ales.

pondoshuffles (141) - Fitzroy Harbour, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 6, 2007
Damn I like this beer. Sampled at the Map Room in Chicago. Fresh, citrus hops attack the nose luring you into the first blissful sip. Splendid malty backbone over which a blanket of hops has been scattered. Many IPA/APA’s are more bitter. None impress me as much as this.

Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - AUG 31, 2003
Pours a nice deep amber with a medium, lasting head. Aroma spicy, floral and the signature 3f grapefruit scent. I was wondering what the difference between their IPA and the APA would be; they are somewhat different beers. This one seems to have a little more roasted flavor, and not as intensely hopped. It is not as sweet as Dreadnaught, and of course not as strong ABV. Perhaps also a little more drinkable (and less dangerous) in large quantities. All-in-all a very fine beer.

hrking (140) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - DEC 29, 2008
This is on draft at 2 locations here in town. This is often a warm up beer and pours a red orange with a nice white head. Lots of hops and almost a sweet clover honey finish. This is a hop heads beer for sure so be prepared for a blast of hops. Once you get past the initial hop bite this beer does smooth out and become more drinkable but give it a few wash overs on the palate..Worthy of a try.

lweiberg (139) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JAN 19, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 20, 2014 you can drink this every day, at which point, every day, you will be reminded that life is indeed good. At least if you’ve got a plump stock of this stuff. If not? Sorry, buddy.

BrianO (138) - Ambler, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 21, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 7, 2004 Nice orangish-copper color with a strong cirtrus hop aroma. Smells like I’m sniffing my hops before I add them to my homebrews. Medium body dominated by hop flavor and semi-dry, bitter finish. Drank at room temperature which really brought out the hop aroma and flavor. Its one of my ’go to’ beers when I’m looking for something semi-lite and flavorful.