overall
RATINGS: 1124   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Alpha Klaus is Alpha Kings cousin. A big American X-mas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt and Mexican sugar and of course tons of strange American hops! Cheers.

2014 vintage - 6.0% abv

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
tbookman (618) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 31, 2004
Wow - leave to the Three Floyds guys to ramp up a porter with hops! Nicely done - suprisingly well balanced. Hops manage not to overhwhelm the choclate & roast malts. Great stuff!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hopdog (12083) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 29, 2004
Poured a dark brownish-red color with a larger (4 finger) frothy tan head. Aromas and tastes of chocolate, roasted malts and some coffee. Hops present as well (stronger Pine). Nicely balanced and complex. Very easy to drink. Im glad I picked up a couple of bottles of this one!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
barenada (211) - Georgetown, Indiana, USA - DEC 27, 2004
(draft) Of all the beers at Rich Os, this one is perhaps the one thats been recommended to me most often. Frankly, I dont understand all the hype. It is a good beer, but not a great one. I think my main problem was the gritty feeling I got in my mouth while drinking it. It almost seemed like there was something that hadnt quite dissolved all the way. By the end of the glass it was better. Other than the gritty mouthfeel, this beer smelled and looked fantastic, and it had a really good flavor - one that wasnt nearly as sweet as I was expecting. A very drinkable beer, but any place that has this probably has something better as well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 27, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 2, 2005 Pours deep brown color. Aroma is Coffee and piney, grassy hops. Flavors are somewhat chocolaty with a citrus hop taste. Great porter, just a bit hoppier than a porter should be.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
shadey (2100) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 27, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 13, 2005 I had been wanting to try this for a long time. Special thanks to FooFaa for sending this to me. The pour was black as expected from a nice american porter. When I first started sipping it was pretty cold. I am at home for Christmas and didnt have access to my beer fridge with variable temp. I had to put it in my parents fridge. So with a cold start there was some nice chocolaty roast character and nice hop bite in the finish. Just a little bitter, with plenty of clean flavor. As it warmed up, a lot more roast came out, which I enjoy. This beer was loved by both my mom and my brother, neither of which will usually drink anything dark. This was a huge hit. Great stuff.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SkyinBrian (430) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 27, 2004
nose is piney with mocha, full bodied. taste is creamy and clean with strong taste of pine needles. drinking this is like eating a pine tree and chocolate/coffee milkshake. very good

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
jgb9348 (6040) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - DEC 26, 2004
2002 Vintage
Dark brown coloured body, not fully opaque, but 95% or so. Off-white head that fades fast. Aroma is CRAZY-tons of hops, smoe malt and tons more hops (this beer is two years old!). Medium-bodied; Strong hoppy flavour with no roasty & coffee flavours that youd expect from this style. Not the traditional porter at all. Aftertaste shows the bitter hop flavour with no usual roasty malt tastes. Overall, great to try (ive been saving this bottle for some time), especially at two years, but not really a porter to me. If I had my eyes closed, I would have thought this was an IPA. Many thanks to Mike (BBB63) for sending this to me a year and a quarter ago...Merry Christmas everyone! I sampled this 65 cL bottle received in a trade from BBB63 on 24-December-2004.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 26, 2004
A big hoppy aroma, piney and some chocolate too. Deep brown, trace of red at the edges, a tiny toffee head. Flavour of malt and hops, very well balanced, full bodied, bitter aftertaste. Fantastic! Thanks qdog.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
sbrewno (49) - Frankfort, Illinois, USA - DEC 26, 2004
22oz. bomber. Rich, velvety, brown color. Some sediment. Chocolatey, hoppy flavor. Really interesting. Deep chocolate start, sweet plums in the middle, and tasty, tasty hops to finish. This one is fantastic. Why $7.99/bottle, though--my only complaint. Merry Christmas.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
Sammy (11820) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 25, 2004
Spruce pine aroma. Black. A fullmouth treat of quality chocolate on the sweeter side, and hoppiness. Some roast, something dairy, ginger, cardammon, anise, cinammon, grapefruit and otehr citrus Thanks Wohlfs for bringing in.