overall
RATINGS: 1124   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Alpha Klaus is Alpha Kings cousin. A big American X-mas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt and Mexican sugar and of course tons of strange American hops! Cheers.

2014 vintage - 6.0% abv

TChrome (1457) - Bedford, Texas, USA - DEC 22, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 20, 2005 Very unique aroma for a porter, this one has a big hop profile, very piney , sweet. Beer pours dark brown with a very large, fluffy, bubbly off white head that is retained. Flavor goes with the aroma. Initial flavor is malty, a bit smoked, the finish is hoppy though not in the massive amount the aroma suggests. An extremely unique brew that gets added to my must have each year list. Thanks to EddieG for this one. Update for 2004 version: This one for me now hits all the marks. Incredible pine, spruce, chocolate aroma. One of the most lush mouthfeels ever, and the most delicious flavor of chocolate and hops ever. My first perfect score!!!

cathcacr (647) - Oregon, USA - APR 4, 2005
Really damn well done, what else can I say. I daresay the finest Porter Ive ever had, easily. Part of my definitiion of a great work of art is: harmonious integration of its elements. And this ones got it. Where its complex and variable, it meshes with the rest. Smokiness, roastiness, chocolate, coffee (on the aroma coinciding just right with the flavor), all coming together in a swirling tongue-caressing elixir that matches precisely and lovingly with the creamy head. And speaking of that head foam, its of the perfect consistency with respect to both density and thickness. This is a work of beauty. Nah, itd be nitpicky to put this at my original score of 4.7. It doesnt really fall short at all. Most unforunate indeed that I cant procure a lot more of this fine beverage.

railcat1 (702) - Kissimmee, Florida, USA - JAN 1, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2006 excellant chistmas beer or any time .great head and flavor to it with just the right hops to it another fine job by the guys. the chocolate overtones is awesome this beer kicks ass great porter and will enjoy for years to come

rubbishystuff (2481) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 11, 2015
UPDATED: NOV 21, 2016 At the daily. This was fantastic. It got the roast level, the hops, the malt just right, a little rich but stiff drinkable even a little minerally. Serving: Tap

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 14, 2004
This was an amazing beer. It poured a nice black color with a thin white head. The flavor was so well balanced and everything melded together perfectly. I am so happy that I had the opportunity to try this beer and look foward to trying more in the future. Highly recommended.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
EddieG (169) - Palos Heights, Illinois, USA - JAN 31, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 18, 2004 Nice aroma and great looking beer at pouring. Slightly sweet with chocolate malt coming through. Not as hoppy as last years. Great porter 2004. Back to the 2002 version. Of course, hopped, but with a smoother mouthfeel and more roasty chocolate malt flavor and presence. Very piney with less citrus than last year. NICE

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
mkobes (2142) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - NOV 28, 2004
220z bottle. Dark brown in color with a nice brownish tan head that lingers. Hoppy. Fresh hops. Roasty maltiness. Big malty flavor. Excellent beer. Chocolate roastyness. Rich tasting.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JCW (1278) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 8, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2007 2004 Did care as much for 2003 as I did for 2002 & 2004. My bottle this year has a real porterish body(chocolate & caramel) mixed in nicely with piney Christmas hops. Great beer for my one hundredth, actually one of my favorites. Calling this a porter is probably a misnomer, but there is no great beer style. Hoppy, spicy, and sweet. Excellent. Ive rated this several times based on the bottled versions. I dont think I like this years nearly as much as last years. Much more of an IPA than a porter Re-rate 2003: Body and malt is somewhat missing, still a beer not to be passed up, but not the 4.8 I had it rated at.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
baobubba (454) - Starkville, Mississippi, USA - JAN 2, 2003
Roasted malt, chocolate, toast aroma nicely balanced by hop spice - resin and pine. Reminds me of the hop profile of Northern Brewer hops. Slightly sweet with a bitter finish. Everything comes together on this one very nicely. I love the hop aroma. This is what I am going to shoot for next time I brew a porter. Thank You hopsrus...

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
piwodevo (53) - chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 2, 2004
Seldom do I use the top numbers in the pull-down ratings here at RateBeer; I like to save the highest marks for a beer that I find exceptional in one or another category. This beer deserves every accolade it gets. The aroma is unreal. Chocolate malts and FRESH hops. Like just-picked-from-the-vine-sticky-resinous-fingers fresh. Full body, toasty, tasty flavors, reserved bitterness, and oh, that aroma. Awesome.