overall
RATINGS: 888   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.95/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
A massive IPA that will leave your palate it’s hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy. 100IBU 9%ABV

DialSquare (5028) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUN 7, 2011
UPDATED: SEP 5, 2014 9/5/14: Bomber from Andersons - asked if they had anything new and was generously offered a bottle that was stashed away. Orange pour, thin white ring retention. Aroma of pine, citrus, warm boozy malt. Tastes are candied tropical fruit, caramel, citrus peel, light honey, toast. Great brew, - 8.4 ORIGINAL RATE: 6/7/11: Had a couple of these on tap at the 2nd Cigar City Hanahpu release. My favorite brew of the day. Don’t have a lot of the specifics other than: awesome lemony dry and bitter - 8.6. Need to try again.

Glouglouburp (6103) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 6, 2011
In short: A somewhat dry and very fruity (mangos, tropical fruits) 9% IPA that drinks like a 5% pale ale. Great beer.
How: Fresh 22oz bottle. Had it a once or twice before but waited to rate a full fresh bomber. Bottle sent to me by sherm1016, thanks a lot Todd
The look: Cloudy orangy-blonde body topped by a small persistent white head
In long: Very bright and aromatic nose with flowers, freshly cut pine-tree and mangos. Taste has fresh mangos and other tropical fruits over crackery malts with a neutral unsalted Premium Plus™ character. Some sawdust. The moderately resinous bitterness level is medium and never aggressive. One notable aspect of the beer is how fresh the fruit flavors were, like biting into a fresh mango and other fruits. Taking into account Dreadnaught and a few other Three Floyds offerings I was surprised at how relatively dry this beer was. Not very dry (it’s a 9% beer) but far from sweet. I went through my bomber in about 20 minutes but that’s because I was writing this rating otherwise it would not have lasted 10 minutes. Needless to say it is easy to drink. This is the fruity cousin of Founders Double Trouble. I loved it. I love all Three Floyds hoppy beers. Yesterday I had a dream that Three Floyds had put out another new IPA and I was drinking it in front of my computer and rating it on ratebeer. So yes, even my dreams have given up on me ever having a life.

LearninBeer (592) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - JUN 4, 2011
The aroma is hops, citrus. Pours a light golden yellow, with a big white head fully diminishing. The taste is bitter. The body is creamy with a biting on the back of the tongue. Very good!

drowland (8676) - Georgia, USA - JUN 2, 2011
5/25/11. Bomber courtesy cbfobes! Hazy orange pour with a small white head that fades. Super dank hop aroma with plenty of pine and citrus. Sweet citrus flavor with a huge bitter, dry hop bite. Very nice!

SpringsLicker (3636) - Tennessee, USA - JUN 2, 2011
Hazy medium yellow with a white head. Big pine and citrus hop aroma. Big bitterness in the flavor with sweetness in the back for support. nice one!

ccex (1312) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 1, 2011
22 oz. bottle. This is the only Three Floyds I’ve found in my neighborhood. and I was excited to find it here at a store without any other FFF brews. The previous 3 FFFs I tried were all exceptional, and the citrus/hop aroma of this led me to believe it would be just as great. It pours a slightly hazy orange color and gets clearer as it warms up. The taste isn’t quite as hoppy as I expected; closer to grapefruit than the knockout hop flavor of Alpha King. This one has a higher ABV, and I can taste it. I’ll try this one again, even though it doesn’t quite live up to the Three Floyds hype.

nuplastikk (6252) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 31, 2011
Draft at The Haze. Hazy, approaching opaque, orange-tan. Bitter orange, maybe a touch of spearmint. Quite cool and easy, especially for the ABV, of which there isn’t much trace. Crisp, bitter, but not really so sticky. Astringent, lemon-lime, approaching herbal hoppiness. Pretty unqiue, on a different level than a typical IIPA. Awesome and interesting.

Frank (4188) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 29, 2011
Tried this on tap at the brewpub. It is really nothing special for this day and age and I kind of wonder why the Floyds boys don’t just stick w/ Dreadnaught. It’s golden yellow w/ a thin head which leaves behind lots of lace regardless. Hoppy and strong but light on the palate w/ a good bit of alcohol burn. (Note: whiskey tasting has left me immune to alcohol burn so when I notice it in a beer, there is something a lit awry--wanted to throw that out.) I could go on about the details of this brew but basically, it comes off as something of a ham-fisted version of Hopslam. The palate remains light and drinkable but the hop flavor is just kind of overbold and bland. This beer uses hops like someone who doesn’t know how to cook Italian uses garlic: indiscriminately. Undoubtedly, I have many similar beer rated much higher than this but this just does not impress me to any extent, large or small.

savnac (2391) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - MAY 26, 2011
22 oz bottle from beernbourbon. Cloudy yellow/orange with a small, creamy, pure white head. Big citrus aroma with some sweet pineapple and cotton candy. The flavor starts with lots of bitter hops, the malt comes in for balance towards the middle and then finishes long and bitter. Medium body with average carbonation and a dry, clean finish. Another wonderful 3F beer, lots of hop flavor and aroma and super drinkable. Thanks again Vince for this awesome beer.

kjc51478 (441) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - MAY 24, 2011
22 oz Bottle. Appearance is surprisingly light pouring a light orangish color with frothy, off-white head. Aroma is superb with citrus all around especially pineapple and grapefruit. Taste is strong on the citrus hops flavors like the grapefruit with a solid sweet malt backbone. The story of this beer is the balance. No one characteristic dominates with both the hop bitterness and malt sweetness contributing very evenly making the brew very drinkable. Palate is medium-bodied, soft and slick texture, with mild carbonation, and a slight bitter finish - quite subdued for an Imperial IPA. I’m constantly impressed by everything put out by FFF and this is no exception.