overall
RATINGS: 309   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02/5   EST. CALORIES: 414   ABV: 13.8%
Three Floyds 15th Anniversary beer. A blend of Dark Lord, Surly Darkness, De Struise Black Albert, and Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch

allesmetkaas' rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
allesmetkaas (170) - - JUN 21, 2013
Bottle from craddel @ Rampkrot whale tasting. Pours black with a tan head. Malty and burnt caramel aroma, taste is just as balanced.

Prufrockstar (2026) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - NOV 6, 2016
Bottle shared at Liquid Sunshine XVI, with thanks to bytemesis, one hell of a RBian and a throwback to the days where winning a trade meant flooring your trade partner with brews that make them flip. Last time we met up to complete a trade he just casually dropped this one in, saying I saw it was on your wants list. Talk about baller.

I had big plans to deconstruct this brew by assembling all its individual components for a special, focused side-by-side tasting. It was to be a night filled with insightful analytical beer nerdery. But that never materialized, and instead this beer found its way to one of after4evers (in)famous tastings before I left the Washington state.

If you dont know after4ever, all I can say is Toms a real mensch. His Liquid Sunshine tastings were the perfect bookends to my time in the beer community in Seattle. Hes the first RBian I met through the site (at Big Time Brewery for my 100th rating and his 5000th speaking of which, if you want to read a *real* milestone rate, check out after4evers review of Whiny the Complainer), and he invited me to his home for my first ever beer tasting. Liquid Sunshine XIII was an absolute orgy of awesome beer, and that night opened the door to a whole world of beer people and culture I didnt know existed. Not coincidentally, it also marked the first time I spent the night on the bathroom floor. Im glad tastings of this magnitude are only once-in-awhile affairs or Id be dead.

The Liquid Sunshine XVI bacchanal brought all the magic and madness of that first tasting, but this time I attended as a fully-fledged initiate, amongst friends made over the intervening years. Amidst the chatter and laughter, Baller Stout was cracked without fanfare and disappeared quietly into the night. It was a helluva fun time spent with friends I now miss. My notes on the beer? Dark stouty pour. Tastes like an imperial stout. Doesnt taste old. 4.0 If thats not the solid basis for a milestone rate I dont know what is.

Given how much Im slowing down, theres a good chance Ill never reach 3k, so this may be the last big milestone beer for me. I started out here on RB looking to develop my palate so I would be able to decide for myself what is really good instead of relying on the opinions of others or being duped by clever marketing. I figured I could train myself to be a well-calibrated instrument capable of making an objective assessment of a beers quality. Now well, now I feel like Ive mainly found more elaborate ways to say I like this or I dont like this. I imagine theres still some value in that, but Im getting stuck in my ways. My rating vocabulary has stagnated, and as much fun as it has been to have reasons to seek out new brews, I dont need the calories, the alcohol, or the cost. My ratings are less enthusiastic, and sometimes downright unfairly harsh. Too often my ratings are short and mechanical, and of little value to myself or others, serving just to keep score. Im repeating old favorites more often now (Im looking at you, Expedition stout), and have stopped rating every new beer I try. Its freeing. Im still throwing down my fair share of quick rates, but at my best nowadays I treat rating more like a beer-centric personal diary.

I hope that RB will attract enough new blood to replace those of us who slow down or drop out. Im doubtful it will, and coupled with the explosion of new beers and breweries I dont know how much longer RB can remain relevant. And really I guess it doesnt need to be. As long as its here for me to leave the occasional diary entry, thatll be enough for me.

sjogro (3045) - The Hague, NETHERLANDS - SEP 10, 2016
Bottle courtesy of kermis at Klooster Delft. Black with light tan head. Big sweet roasted choco malts. Fruity cherry, prune, dark fruit, licorice, light layer of dust, dades, chocolate, toffee, dense roastiness, bit metallic, quite strong alcoholic. Big sweet and medium roasty cocoa bitter. Full body, big malty, gelly cake texture, soft carbonation, big sweet roasty cocoa vanilla finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mariuspoenari (1844) - The Hague, NETHERLANDS - SEP 10, 2016
Bottle shared at Klooster. Pitch black with a thin tan head. Notes of roasted coffee, chocolate, macerated cherries, sherry, bitter fruit, alcohol. Full bodied, bitter and sour finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Maakun (4226) - The Hague, NETHERLANDS - SEP 10, 2016
Bottle shared thanks to kermis! Black with dark beige head. Lots of dried red fruits, toffee, strong coffee, roasted malts, marzipan, sweet malts. Maybe some porto wine too. Quite sweet, light sour and bitter. Full bodied with soft but fizzy carbonation.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
biirusaikou (2585) - - JUN 22, 2016
Sampled at Mechazillas epic insanity tasting session. Insane blend of flavors. Drinks like a super complex cherry stout wine, deviliciously smooth. A crazy extreme brew, which is why I usually love these so much!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Patrickctenchi (6208) - Coxs Knob, columbus, Indiana, USA - JUN 14, 2016
Bottle: Pours black......with a small tan ring. Aroma of dark chocolate, tobacco, dark fruit. Taste is chocolate malt, wood, raisin, tobacco. Strong , oily, ashy bittering. Rich and smooth. Excellent. Thanks to shrubber85 for sharing this as his 10k rate.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
shrubber85 (10894) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - MAY 29, 2016
For 10K, decided to finally open this beer and to enjoy this during the start of the 100th Indianapolis 500. Beer and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway - two things that have given me so much joy in my life (and usually at the same time). Had to wait until the end of "Back Home Again in Indiana" per my tradition. Bottle. Lactic/vinous raisin, cherry, coffee, dark chocolate malt, and wood ash aroma. Black with small tan head. Sweet raisin, creamy coffee, dark chocolate malt, and moderately bitter hay/orange peel. Spectacular balance and body. Aged beautifully. Great way to end 10K and start the next.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Ferris (13208) - Burnaby, British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 7, 2016
Bottle - Sweet vinous notes, deep roast and Woody bourbon notes. Jet brown with a light brown head. Dark chocolate, bourbon and nice roast. Bitter, sweet and nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
andrewje41 (3130) - Kenmore, Washington, USA - MAY 7, 2016
Bottle pour at Toms. A magical sounding blend of beasts. Dark brown pour with a tan fading head. Big beer, sweet vanilla and caramel aroma. Flavor is roast heavy. Coffee constant. Bold lingering finish. Intense beer. Very fun.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
willisread (2814) - Owensboro, Kentucky, USA - MAY 7, 2016
Bottle shared at Mechazilla event. Explosive nose with bakers chocolate, milk chocolate, fennel seed and espresso. As it warms the chocolate takes off and more prune, cherry and plum come out. Easy to drink and the alcohol is completely hidden. Smooth and decadent. Finish has some fruit and more dry bakers chocolate with a touch of roasted espresso. A great beer. So drinkable.