overall
RATINGS: 1190   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.07/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Huge sweet body, big flavors and high alcohol levels, this beer is best enjoyed by a raging fire. Complex caramel sweetness is well balanced by generous hopping, delivering an intense, smooth drinking experience. Intense fruity caramel malts, citrus hops, and alcohol notes waft up to tickle your senses.
2005 Bottle release - Pink Wax
2007 Bottle release - Yellow Wax (Brewed in Nov 06)
2008 Bottle release - Purple Wax
2014 Bottle release - Blue Wax
2015 Bottle release - Purple Wax
2016 Bottle release - Black Metallic Wax

Beardaxe (293) - - FEB 19, 2015
Poured from bottle into Teku glass. Aroma is typical of a 3F brew, lots of hops. At first I wasn’t expecting much because I’m not really that into the 3F use of hops in non-IPA styles anymore (Did not love Alpha Klaus or Blot out the Sun), but from the first sip I knew this was good. The hops are present, especially their bitterness, but they’re well balanced by the massive malt backbone. Sweet, citrusy, and caramel, all at once. a very nice complexity that kept the beer from just coming across as a DIPA. Thinner body than I expected, but it worked well. ABV not even noticeable. Would love to try this with 2-3 years on it.

BeerZack (288) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - FEB 10, 2008
Appears a cloudy reddish mahogany with creamy cream-colored head and fine bubbles that leave nice sticky lace. Smells sweet and malty, toffee with a quick sharp citrus hop impression, some subdued alcohol. Malty caramel sweetness dominating with an orangey citrus flavor playing its part. Almost completely dry finish. Very smooth and soft. Very drinkable barleywine, would’nt have guessed the alcohol content.

zug4abby (287) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 1, 2005
Thanks sick_boy282!! I have been awaiting a tasting of this! Pours a rich amber color with virtually no head and no lacing. Aroma is rich and warm with hints of roastiness and fruit, specifically a lot of pineapple. Flavor is very complex and rich and includes spice and sweetness in perfect balance. I also got some roastiness in the aftertaste. One of my favorite barleywines I’ve ever had. So complex and still so enjoyable.

Sean9689 (285) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 9, 2010
On tap at FFFs. Dark orange in appearance. Citrus and carmel nose, a perfect mix of yummy goodness. Tastes just like it smells, carmel/citrus/hoppy. Medium on the mouth, very smooth. This beer is easy to drink but will sneak up on you if you’re not careful. Always have a few bombers on-hand while they’re available.

JLAudio (282) - Crestwood, Illinois, USA - NOV 12, 2007
Poured from yellow wax bottle. Created a nice frothy head, creamy, and viscous. The aromas were complex with sweet caramel, pine, and slight alcohol. The flavor profile was rediculously large, full of caramel, citrus, pine, nuts, and acohol. The hop flavors were slight, compared to the malt and alcohol abundance. However, they did impact your palate 1/2 -3/4 way through, and then the tingle set in full of alcohol. Not a fan of barley per se, but this was drinkable for sure.

ATLBeerDog (280) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - SEP 7, 2008
Pours hazy dark orange/red with a small 1/16 inch fairly white head. Smells of fruit, alcohol, honey – smells slightly oxidized. Bottled purchased just 4 weeks ago. Fist sip is fruity and thick with apple and pear notes present. Fairly hoppy but I am guessing the hops have mellowed. Very nice, very smooth. A world class American Barley Wine.

kepano (278) - Los Angeles, California, USA - NOV 29, 2006
At last, Three Floyds! What an event, and how couldn’t it be, dressed in such extravagant pink wax? I approached this colossus with quiet expectations and a reserved sense of excitement, fearing an elaborate fraud, or a likely disappointment. What appeared in my glass manifested an obvious and hypnotizing beauty: dark, opaque and truly ruby red (for I am used to taking slight creative liberties), the topping was reduced to a side-attraction, biscuit-colored and disguised in a layer of small shiny bubbles. To the nose, an intense, flamboyant and absolutely theatrical fanfare of hops displays in the gleaming spotlights the panoply of its talents. Sugary pine, toast, juicy grapefruit, the opulence of this brew is simply staggering. Pure maple syrup, cedar and chestnut honey create a sticky scent enhanced by noticeable alcohol and again the orchestral hops. Somehow the flavor surprised me. Though it clearly echoes the nose, I found it difficult to imagine a marching band parading across my tongue until I actually took a sip. Cymbals, trumpets and every instrument you can think of flare upon the palate in what could seem like a cacophony but in fact reduces to a simple and unified roar. Lemon, lime, apricot, banana, pine, caramel, grape juice and sap explode on the taste buds.

Despite such a gargantuan profile, and surely what my colleagues across America seem to applaud, I didn’t care much for the Behemoth. It was entertaining, no doubt, but beyond the ferocity of its flavors, and even its honorable complexity, I felt Behemoth lacked true pleasure. The analogy I described to my friend GarrettB, with whom I shared the bottle, is, I believe, opportune. Three Floyds, or my experience of the brewery so far, is to me reminiscent of the famous artist Piet Mondrian. What emerges from his work is a bold, new approach to color, composition and an entirely different perception of art. Below the apparent minimalism is a depth of meaning and commentary that ultimately becomes dissolved by the populace. The result is perhaps a sentiment of insolence but also an appreciation for the implications of art itself. Yet, however rich this context may be, I almost always find myself more interested by the intricacy of a Da Vinci, the sfumato or early chiaroscuro techniques he employed, the subtle brush strokes and complex forms of his paintings. Even the loose and more conceptual line quality of his sketches are infinitely more satisfying to me. Transcending the painting, Da Vinci loses no ground to modern art, as the meaning of his work is still debated upon. If I can have the best of both worlds, then to me there’s much more to gain, whether that means Trappists or Gueuzes or otherwise. That said, I’m not opposed to a little education.

12many (277) - Alaska, USA - JUN 16, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 22, 2008 Bottle and more recently on tap. A lot of hops for a Barley wine which is okay by me. Beautiful hazy dark burgundy amber pour with a moderate head. Has a great earthy/citrus hoppy aroma balanced perfectly with strong malts. Spectacular.

Barnoloid (277) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 2, 2014
Behemoth pours a wonderful dark brown with a thin head and good lacing. This is extremely well balanced, with plummy and toffee notes. Opens up as it warms, as with any solid barleywine.

bdjames29 (273) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - APR 8, 2007
Bottle. Powerful barleywine - quickly becoming my favorite style. Alcohol is very apparent - favorably. Thick mouthfeel. A very identifiable Three Floyds product as the citrus, resinous, pine flavors dominate the taste. A powerful hoppy finish preceded by a sugar sweet malty flavor. Very smooth and enjoyable. My full rec.