overall
RATINGS: 1195   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.07/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Huge sweet body, big flavors and high alcohol levels, this beer is best enjoyed by a raging fire. Complex caramel sweetness is well balanced by generous hopping, delivering an intense, smooth drinking experience. Intense fruity caramel malts, citrus hops, and alcohol notes waft up to tickle your senses.
2005 Bottle release - Pink Wax
2007 Bottle release - Yellow Wax (Brewed in Nov 06)
2008 Bottle release - Purple Wax
2015 Bottle release - Purple Wax
2016 Bottle release - Black Metallic Wax

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
inkubus27 (269) - highland, Indiana, USA - FEB 18, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 29, 2009 Im not sure anything could do much better than this. Aroma is similar to a IIPA, with a very citrusy and fresh hop scent. Flavor is beautifully balanced between the hops and heavy amount of malt. In my opinion, the alcohol is pretty well hidden. All around this is one of my absolute favorite beers!!!----� 2009 Blue Wax. Thinner mouthfeel this year, and not quite as much of the malty balance as in past years. This one definitely needs time to collect itself. 2008 purple wax bottle

cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - FEB 16, 2007
Bottle: Pours a nice dark amber color with a pretty solid, slightly off white head. I definitely smell a lot of hop profile, grapefruit and one. Taste is pretty nice. The alcohol can be tasted pretty easily in this one, with some pine and grapefruit flavors.. I also notice just a bit of caramel that kind of creeps up out of the background. This one is pretty tasy and its my 200th. I, however, should have listened t the commercial description and aged this one until fall of 2007. It definitely needs some age.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
kepano (267) - Los Angeles, California, USA - NOV 29, 2006
At last, Three Floyds! What an event, and how couldnt it be, dressed in such extravagant pink wax? I approached this colossus with quiet expectations and a reserved sense of excitement, fearing an elaborate fraud, or a likely disappointment. What appeared in my glass manifested an obvious and hypnotizing beauty: dark, opaque and truly ruby red (for I am used to taking slight creative liberties), the topping was reduced to a side-attraction, biscuit-colored and disguised in a layer of small shiny bubbles. To the nose, an intense, flamboyant and absolutely theatrical fanfare of hops displays in the gleaming spotlights the panoply of its talents. Sugary pine, toast, juicy grapefruit, the opulence of this brew is simply staggering. Pure maple syrup, cedar and chestnut honey create a sticky scent enhanced by noticeable alcohol and again the orchestral hops. Somehow the flavor surprised me. Though it clearly echoes the nose, I found it difficult to imagine a marching band parading across my tongue until I actually took a sip. Cymbals, trumpets and every instrument you can think of flare upon the palate in what could seem like a cacophony but in fact reduces to a simple and unified roar. Lemon, lime, apricot, banana, pine, caramel, grape juice and sap explode on the taste buds.

Despite such a gargantuan profile, and surely what my colleagues across America seem to applaud, I didnt care much for the Behemoth. It was entertaining, no doubt, but beyond the ferocity of its flavors, and even its honorable complexity, I felt Behemoth lacked true pleasure. The analogy I described to my friend GarrettB, with whom I shared the bottle, is, I believe, opportune. Three Floyds, or my experience of the brewery so far, is to me reminiscent of the famous artist Piet Mondrian. What emerges from his work is a bold, new approach to color, composition and an entirely different perception of art. Below the apparent minimalism is a depth of meaning and commentary that ultimately becomes dissolved by the populace. The result is perhaps a sentiment of insolence but also an appreciation for the implications of art itself. Yet, however rich this context may be, I almost always find myself more interested by the intricacy of a Da Vinci, the sfumato or early chiaroscuro techniques he employed, the subtle brush strokes and complex forms of his paintings. Even the loose and more conceptual line quality of his sketches are infinitely more satisfying to me. Transcending the painting, Da Vinci loses no ground to modern art, as the meaning of his work is still debated upon. If I can have the best of both worlds, then to me theres much more to gain, whether that means Trappists or Gueuzes or otherwise. That said, Im not opposed to a little education.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mxtur (266) - Michigan, USA - FEB 9, 2011
I loved it! I had the 2009. Of course it was hops for all and I was delighted that in its sweetness. I think I picked up on banana, peach, and caramels. I had it at a Super Bowl party and it F#%*ed me up. I fell asleep on the couch in the fourth quarter. Taste great and will put you down for the count if your not careful.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
iugrad93 (265) - Indiana, USA - FEB 3, 2012
2011 Red Wax release. Pours a clear, copper color with thin white head and little lacing. Aromas of citrus, grapefruit, and pine. Really surprised by that. Taste is very IPA like. Light sweetness, bitter hoppy flavor. Alcohol hidden well. Smooth, almost creamy mouthfeel. Overall, this is a wonderful beer. The great grapefruit bomb aroma is in your face at every sip. The smooth sip erupts with a great balance of malts and hops. Another great beer from FFF.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
FURLYSURIOUS (263) - Orono, Minnesota, USA - JUN 4, 2012
Poured from bomber to snifter, big thanks to mordormongo for this! Blonde? Maybe a real dirty blonde. Pours a bright amber - pretty much exactly the color of the amber that the mosquito was preserved in from the first Jurassic Park movie. Nice finger of silky off-white head that fades out to a thick collar with some spotty bits retaining in the middle. Very nice to look at. Smells massive... boozy resinous hops, caramel, butterSCOTCH... I could keep my nostrils shoved down in there for a good while, and even as it sits in front of me on the table I can smell how pungent it is. Definitely a substantial hop presence... hops, then some malty bits, then a booze burn that dries things up. In my mind, the taste of this thing borders a big old IIPA. Enough hops to satisfy a non-barleywine drinker I think. The feel is rather low as the booze is really pretty harsh. I dont mind that one bit myself but it does affect drinkability. Extremely pleased with this one. Thanks very much Scott!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MitchWayne (263) - Kokkola, FINLAND - MAY 5, 2009
Sweet, malty and very hoppy barley wine, doesnt make me wax poetic but this is still a good beer. Citrusy hops work, the sweetness is nicely in balance with that but I wouldnt say this is vinous really at all. The text in the label is pushing it.The pine needle hops are still quite a thing to taste and smell in a barleywine. Well done but not so special for the style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
chef201atc (261) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - MAY 17, 2007
Deep red tinted copper, light tan head. Sweet malty and fruity nose, some figs and plums. Silky smooth mouthfeel, lively carbonation. Little or no hop character in the flavor, very sweet candied fruit, alcohol is covered well.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jvittorio4187 (255) - Boardman, Ohio, USA - MAR 28, 2007
The texture on this beer was very smooth. Pours a rusty copper colors. Sticky on he lips. Nice sweet nose. Alot of sugar. Finishes with an arsenal of hops. A lil steep on the price. One down side........... the wax makes it hard to open the bottle, kind of like a suspensful moment.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mcnealc31 (255) - Elida, Ohio, USA - OCT 4, 2011
The nose is full of caramel malt and a mix of citrus and spicy hops. This brew is definitely big. Caramel malt, big kick from the hops, and pretty hot from the alcohol. As it warms, more malt complexity is coming through along with a few different hops varieties: grapefruit, pine, and spice. The 10.5% ABV is evident, but it all adds to making this beer live up to its name. And the lacing! This isnt rings of foam, its coating the entire glass.